Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4642 posts
529 upvotes

Permanently installing RGB LED strip around the house for all occasions

I installed Christmas lights last year in November and it wasn't fun being outside on a ladder in the cold. I didn't like the lights I put up, So I was thinking about installing the new lights, esp. now that the weather is good and not too hot/cold.

I was wondering what people think about installing RGB LED strip on the front face of the house. I think I'll probably get 50-60m of the strip, which should make an outline of the house going around the windows and the roof.

These could be used on any occasion, for example turn on the red and white on Canada day. And all through out Christmas-new years etc...

So I was looking on Aliexpress and found these 50M lots

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5050-LED ... 48954.html $116USD w/ free shipping

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/50m-5m-r ... 40605.html $175USD w/DHL

Found a video of some RGB lights in action, not the same as those aliexpress ones, well maybe I haven't seen those in action.

Here's more expensive version. Cost $LOTS

Found some digital RGB LED strips

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10mm-WS2 ... 136.Bx95xI 20M for $145USD

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/50M-5m-r ... .60.YEAqY4 50M for $572USD
5 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2229 posts
565 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
It is absolutely a great idea but ideally you'll also want to find some sort of bracket to hold them down as well. They would come of easily otherwise.

I believe they sell 'rails' for them. But yeah, definitely possible. I am in the process of installing these as backsplash lighting in the kitchen as well as footwell lighting in the car.

They are fairly bright as well so would be perfect for outside. If you are familiar with arduino you can also put together a cheap Bluetooth controller for them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4642 posts
529 upvotes
Crzyrio wrote: It is absolutely a great idea but ideally you'll also want to find some sort of bracket to hold them down as well. They would come of easily otherwise.

I believe they sell 'rails' for them. But yeah, definitely possible. I am in the process of installing these as backsplash lighting in the kitchen as well as footwell lighting in the car.

They are fairly bright as well so would be perfect for outside. If you are familiar with arduino you can also put together a cheap Bluetooth controller for them.
Yea rails will be a good idea, I don't think these are stick on, plus the glue wouldn't last anyways.
Jimboski wrote: Any cheaper alternatives? I want to have backlighting for my monitor at night instead of leaving the light on.
For indoor lighting there are plenty of strips you can get for cheap a lot of people do the led lighting behind their TVs and Monitors. Unless you're talking about the Digital LED RGB stips; those are a bit expensive from what I've seen online. You only probably need 1M instead of 5M, which is what they usually come as.
Nov 26, 2007
788 posts
197 upvotes
Seems like a great idea... would be interested to know how you change the light colour/function, ease of installation, etc. The other question, of course, is quality/longevity... you would want something like this to last for years if you're going to install it permanently. Can you change out individual LED's if they break?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4842 posts
4625 upvotes
Toronto
I have them in my trunk. I've tried different sets from Chinese sellers on eBay. From my limited sampling, the cheaper ones will break apart easily on 90 degree bends as the contacts are very thin. This is actually a feature, since you can customize your length by just cutting or snapping it, but some are too easy to break apart. Just something to watch out for. If it was me, and I planned on leaving it up right for years, I would break it at the corners and solder wire to join the contacts between the perpendicular sections.