Home & Garden

Person that tells you what to improve before selling.....

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2021 8:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
2869 posts
260 upvotes

Person that tells you what to improve before selling.....

As the title says, I am wondering if there is such a person that I can hire that can advise on what improvements I should do to my home to make it "more sellable".

Not really looking for major renovation advise but simple things like whether replacing the roof on my deck is worth it OR painting the deck. Maybe refinishing my kitchen cupboards.

It's an older house, our washer and dryer are in different spaces in the basement, would it be worth the cost to put them in the same room? We would have to hire someone to do some of the in-ground plumbing.

I know an appraiser determines the value of your home but what I have seen seems to base it on numbers (square footage, number of rooms, the area you live etc).

Also a Stager is more of a decorator as far as I know?
Any suggestions?
My Heatware
51 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
The realtor you hire can stage your home...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
2869 posts
260 upvotes
BDSL wrote: The realtor you hire can stage your home...
It's not staging I want. Painting and changing furniture around to make it more generally appealing is not what I am looking at this moment.

Looking for advise on small or medium renos that could improve the value OR improve the "likability" of the house to make it sell faster.
My Heatware
Dec 25, 2018
812 posts
1668 upvotes
Same. A realtor knows what’s appealing or not and can tell you what you need to do. They may also know of contractors to do the work if they are good
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
Then you need to hire an interior designer.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1384 posts
1415 upvotes
ON
An experienced and honest realtor can easily provide suggestions on what will give the best bang!
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
1761 posts
2063 upvotes
It depends on who you are targeting, and who tends to buy your type of house in your area. Where I live, older homes are bought for land value and torn down, so in some situations it makes zero sense to put any money into renos.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7691 posts
5127 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Majoram wrote: It's not staging I want. Painting and changing furniture around to make it more generally appealing is not what I am looking at this moment.

Looking for advise on small or medium renos that could improve the value OR improve the "likability" of the house to make it sell faster.
Any realtor should be able to tell you what you need to do. Or if you think necessary, hire a home inspector and see what they find to be major issues.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3788 upvotes
Thornhill
That's one of our jobs as a Realtor. But many will just want you to reno and redecorate and stage for days, whereas what you want is someone who knows how to maximimize your house's value without unnecessary expense.

Find a good one and you'll be all set,
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
It is in the realtor's best interest to increase the value of your home.
End of story.
Mar 10, 2004
819 posts
304 upvotes
BDSL wrote: It is in the realtor's best interest to increase the value of your home.
End of story.
At the cost of your bottom line.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3522 posts
1711 upvotes
Mississauga
Price your house correctly to the right target market and it will sell. If there is a lot to do it maybe better not to do anything..

Whatever you do probably won't effect the price you get.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1522 posts
552 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, i believe the realtor will always ask you to do reno as much as possible.

Higher sales price = more commission for the realtor, so they have a self-interest to suggest you to do reno

I also wonder the same thing. My townhouse is old and carpet is 15 years old, would it makes sense to replace carpet with vinyl floor for $5k prior to sale?
tempperm wrote: At the cost of your bottom line.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
tempperm wrote: At the cost of your bottom line.
Nothing is free.
If the realtor thinks you can get $100k-200k more by doing a few upgrades (maybe $10-20k), you will have a net gain.
Jan 8, 2009
884 posts
577 upvotes
Simcoe County
The key is to get the right real estate agent. Have them in, have them appraise the place as is. Tell them you have limited funds to do some updates/changes and ask what they would suggest given that. What would get you the biggest bang for your buck. Then you can sit down and decide what you're willing to do.

Staging is huge but often it can be done with your own pieces and a lot of decluttering.

We have two identical homes in our neighbourhood that just sold. One was cleaned like crazy, made light and airy with new paint and staged to the nines and the other was left dirty, unpainted, dark and rough looking. The first sold for 620K and the second sold for 505K. Unwilling to do 5-10K work max, they left over 100K on the floor. We couldn't believe it.

Everything else in our neighbourhood has gone for over list and in multiple bids and their house just sat there for weeks and they actually had to drop their price.
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
jrbb0309 wrote: The key is to get the right real estate agent. Have them in, have them appraise the place as is. Tell them you have limited funds to do some updates/changes and ask what they would suggest given that. What would get you the biggest bang for your buck. Then you can sit down and decide what you're willing to do.

Staging is huge but often it can be done with your own pieces and a lot of decluttering.

We have two identical homes in our neighbourhood that just sold. One was cleaned like crazy, made light and airy with new paint and staged to the nines and the other was left dirty, unpainted, dark and rough looking. The first sold for 620K and the second sold for 505K. Unwilling to do 5-10K work max, they left over 100K on the floor. We couldn't believe it.

Everything else in our neighbourhood has gone for over list and in multiple bids and their house just sat there for weeks and they actually had to drop their price.
They may have thought the improvements would have cost more than 100 thousand and didn't want to take on such an expensive renovation. They probably bought the house when it was considerably less, so even selling at 505 was still profitable for them.
Jan 8, 2009
884 posts
577 upvotes
Simcoe County
Katedontbreak wrote: They may have thought the improvements would have cost more than 100 thousand and didn't want to take on such an expensive renovation. They probably bought the house when it was considerably less, so even selling at 505 was still profitable for them.
Actually, what happened is that they hired a friend as their real estate agent who didn't have the nerve to tell them what they needed to do to tidy up and also didn't know the neighbourhood or truly know what had been happening with the comparables. Prices skyrocketed right after we moved here and everything was going to bidding wars but their agent was still stuck on the old numbers. Also, it doesn't take much to figure out that you should make your place look presentable. The pictures for their place were like something taken on an old digital camera, their dog had scratched up a ton of things in the house, including their furniture. There's no way they could have thought their place needed a 100K reno but they just wanted out and they didn't want to do anything more than just put it on the market. Which, fine, but can most of us pass up 10s of thousands of extra dollars?

That said, I just checked and yes, they bought 2 years ago for 115K less so even minus lawyers fees, LTT, etc, they probably still thought they'd done well.
Last edited by jrbb0309 on Aug 11th, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7370 posts
3083 upvotes
jrbb0309 wrote: Actually, what happened is that they hired a friend who as their real estate agent who didn't have the nerve to tell them what they needed to do to tidy up and also didn't know the neighbourhood or truly know what had been happening with the comparables. Prices skyrocketed right after we moved here and everything was going to bidding wars but their agent was still stuck on the old numbers. Also, it doesn't take much to figure out that you should make your place look presentable. The pictures for their place were like something taken on an old digital camera, their dog had scratched up a ton of things in the house, including their furniture. There's no way they could have thought their place needed a 100K reno but they just wanted out and they didn't want to do anything more than just put it on the market. Which, fine, but can most of us pass up 10s of thousands of extra dollars?

That said, I just checked and yes, they bought 2 years ago for 115K less so even minus lawyers fees, LTT, etc, they probably still thought they'd done well.
I live by the rule - never hire family or friends to do work for you, if you value the relationship.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Mar 10, 2004
819 posts
304 upvotes
BDSL wrote: Nothing is free.
If the realtor thinks you can get $100k-200k more by doing a few upgrades (maybe $10-20k), you will have a net gain.
Spoken like an RE agent.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)