Persona 5 - April 4th, 2017 - PS3 & PS4

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2017 10:30 am
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1952 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
Best game from Atlus I played was Catherine. Excellent story/writing, challenging but rewarding gameplay.

Also played a couple of Trauma games on the DS and Wii.
Jan 26, 2008
744 posts
56 upvotes
Scarborough
I enjoyed Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor on the DS so this game piques my interest. I see a lot of animation during battles. I hope it can be disabled as it gets tiresome after the visual feast wears off.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
513 upvotes
GVR
squadz wrote: Can you explain the draw of it?

I grabbed it on my Vita, I couldn't get into it. I don't know what it was that kept me away, I like JRPG's too.

Disgaea too doesn't grab me, and it's a pretty good franchise for strategy RPG's. It may be the art style, or anime thing.
The biggest thing for me was the mechanics. The day time social stuff and night time dungeon crawling come together really well.

I'm really not a huge JRPG fan anymore, the genre basically split into sub genres that I can't stand, but I really liked P4G.
[OP]
Jul 28, 2010
893 posts
572 upvotes
The E3 Persona 5 Livestream has been confirmed for June 15th. Unfortunately I can't post source cause I'm at work, but it starts at 5am PST IIRC.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
I'm hoping for a good tutorial system.

I don't remember Persona 4 at all, and didn't like it too much, so I'm taking a chance coming back to this.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8890 posts
3220 upvotes
The battle mechanics of Persona 3 & 4 is the same as Pokemon. Each character has attributes of a specific element, which is both strong and weak to another specific element.
Critical hits allow the party to go in for a bonus all-out group attack.
squadz wrote: I'm hoping for a good tutorial system.

I don't remember Persona 4 at all, and didn't like it too much, so I'm taking a chance coming back to this.

Persona 5 E3 impressions from Easy Allies:
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
Grabbed a Vita TV for pretty cheap, trying to find a copy of Persona 4 Golden. Jesus it's difficult. I would have thought Kijiji would be full of them, but all I can find right now is buying it directly from Amazon for $24.99 plus tax.

Crazy - I guess it's out of print?
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2280 posts
3245 upvotes
Windsor
squadz wrote: Grabbed a Vita TV for pretty cheap, trying to find a copy of Persona 4 Golden. Jesus it's difficult. I would have thought Kijiji would be full of them, but all I can find right now is buying it directly from Amazon for $24.99 plus tax.

Crazy - I guess it's out of print?
Nope. Mine is still collecting dust with all those PSV related stuff. Ppl just totally forget about it.
[OP]
Jul 28, 2010
893 posts
572 upvotes
squadz wrote: Crazy - I guess it's out of print?
Nah, but you won't find Vita games at retail anymore. PSN always has good Vita game sales and Atlus games in particular go on sale every other week. Just be patient.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1150 upvotes
Shin Megami Tensei is about the only RPG I enjoy playing. I especially love the fast paced battles. Some RPGs have really grindy/tedious battles. SMT/Persona in general you don't have to grind for items. Even if you do, it's optional and you only do it for side quests. The extra turn/critical hit system ensures that once you've identified enemy weakness, you can end the battle quickly. Also, you can't grind in one area for long. Fighting weak enemies give you very little exp.

Most importantly it is actually difficult enough. With Final Fantasy, I enjoy the story telling but the gameplay was generally unsatisfying to me because most battles you can press X blindfolded and you still win. Nocturne was brutal and sometimes you just die out of nowhere. Persona was not as brutal but hard enough to be a challenge.

My only disappointment with the gameplay system is that in all the SMT games I've played, the entire branch of status ailment is worthless. Most battles can be won in just 2-4 team turns. There's absolutely no point to spending one action to poison/sleep/silence an enemy (and heck, status ailments have a decent chance to fail too). It's only useful if it's tacked onto an attack that already does damage and the status ailment is an added bonus.

About time P5 is released. The delay has been long and incomprehensible.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
Good games take time.

I'd rather Persona 5 delay to get the game right, then release early and be subpar. We have plenty of those games already.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
squadz wrote: Good games take time.

I'd rather Persona 5 delay to get the game right, then release early and be subpar. We have plenty of those games already.
Going to eat my words here.

Can we get one Playstation game that doesn't get delayed?

This drought between exclusives is embarrassing.
[OP]
Jul 28, 2010
893 posts
572 upvotes
Can a mod please update the title? The game has been delayed to April 4th for both platforms. :(
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1952 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
April 4th isn't too bad.

February/March was getting a little crowded. And there a gap of several months from FF15.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20714 posts
4846 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Jotamide wrote: Can a mod please update the title? The game has been delayed to April 4th for both platforms. :(
You can edit it yourself by clicking on the pen icon and changing the title.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Jul 28, 2010
893 posts
572 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: You can edit it yourself by clicking on the pen icon and changing the title.
Ah neat. Thanks for the heads up! I updated some pics in the OP as well.