PC & Video Games

Persona 5 - April 4th, 2017 - PS3 & PS4

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2017 10:30 am
[OP]
Jul 28, 2010
893 posts
572 upvotes
Lots of P5 videos being uploaded to Atlus youtube account here.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8886 posts
3220 upvotes
Persona 5 currently has a 94 metacritic and opencritic average after 37 reviews so far.
That makes it the highest rated 2017 PS4 game by 5 percentage points and 3 percentage points below The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

It is not out until April 4th so there should be larger pool of reviews and a bigger sample size by then.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... a-5?ref=hp
http://opencritic.com/game/1537/persona-5

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/ ... ?sort=desc

Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1952 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
A 94 on Metacritic makes it the third best PS4 game of all time after Grand Theft Auto 5 and The Last of Us: Remastered. Those two are PS3 ports, while this game is releasing on the PS3 and PS4 at the same time.

Looking forward to playing this game in the future after dealing with my backlog. Hope I can grab it cheaper then.
[OP]
Jul 28, 2010
893 posts
572 upvotes
I just got the game today! Still have to finish Zelda though. :P
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8886 posts
3220 upvotes
IGN gave Persona 5 a 9.7 out of 10

Its metacritic aggregate review average is still at 94 out of 100 after 47 critic reviews:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... a-5?ref=hp

I pre-ordered from Amazon with Prime so hopefully they deliver tomorrow (on release day).
I still have my old 2013 pre-order for the PS3 version from Best Buy coming as well.
Last edited by XFactor11 on Apr 3rd, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8886 posts
3220 upvotes
Jotamide wrote: I just got the game today! Still have to finish Zelda though. :P
I received both the ones from amazon and Best Buy today. I have a week off work so I was planning on finishing Zelda and Tales of Berseria
but I think I will start Persona 5.

Is your version the bilingual cover version? Best Buy Canada sent me the USA version for the PS3 game.
Amazon.ca sent me the Canadian Bi-lingual cover version for the PS4 version.

For most games I do not care about the bi-lingual cover but for my favourites, and for collection purposes I rather have the USA English-only cover version for Persona 5.
Might have to get the USA PS4 version from eBay instead and return the Canadian version.

Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1401 posts
451 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: I received both the ones from amazon and Best Buy today. I have a week off work so I was planning on finishing Zelda and Tales of Berseria
but I think I will start Persona 5.
I went out this morning to pick up Nier Automata but came home with Nier Automata Day One Edition and Persona 5 Steelbook Edition. Hello my name is Bryson and I am a video game junkie!

I plan to start Nier in a couple of days right after I finish HZD as it's the shorter of the two and I really want to play it but on the other hand it seems almost like fate that I ended up with Persona 5 today. :) My copies are bilingual.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3561 posts
270 upvotes
Toronto
Just got my copy of P5. Time to dust off the ps3. This is probably the only series that would make me still play console games lol
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2379 posts
2008 upvotes
Canada
When are you too old to play this game?
To the moon
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8886 posts
3220 upvotes
It's rated M for Mature. (Have to be 17+ to purchase)
Blood.
Sexual themes.
Some swearing is usually in Persona games as well.
Partial Nudity.
Usually major or minor character deaths etc, in the Persona series.
Redsanta wrote: When are you too old to play this game?

I'm glad this series does not try to be politically correct or try too hard to cater to social justice warriors like Mass Effect attempts to do.
In the previous Persona game there is a gay or bisexual character that gets made fun of a lot throughout the story.

Persona 4 Golden shown below:

I have not started the game yet but will soon.

On another note: I bought the last two Dynamic Themes.
The other 3 dynamic PS4 character themes (Morgana, Ryuji, and Yusuke) were free for a limited time at some point or another.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Apr 4th, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2379 posts
2008 upvotes
Canada
Main character reminds me of

To the moon
Jun 4, 2016
229 posts
59 upvotes
Is this game worth getting for a newcomer of the series? I don't usually play RPGs but I like the style and look of the game.
Jul 7, 2005
574 posts
150 upvotes
I like RPGs, but when I was first introduced to the Persona franchise (3 FES w/j-audio i might add lol) its the SIM part and soundtrack that I got hooked; these games blend the sim/rpg/slice of life genres really well.
I played a little yesterday and I must say if you've been to Shibuya, Tokyo, it brought me back with a sense of nostalgia.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
2316 posts
578 upvotes
Amazon's late... did not receive my preorder yesterday. Angry Face
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1952 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
I'm glad this series does not try to be politically correct or try too hard to cater to social justice warriors like Mass Effect attempts to do.
In the previous Persona game there is a gay or bisexual character that gets made fun of a lot throughout the story.
It's a stretch to say appealing to a diverse Western market as being "politically correct" or catering to "social justice warriors". It shouldn't be controversial to have more women, non-white or LGBT people in games. There is no hidden agenda. Western developers are usually diverse and they cater for a diverse crowd. They are also based in some progressive spots such as California, Montreal, London and Paris. Some Japanese developers with a global base like Square Enix and Capcom also appeal to that market.

Persona 5 takes place in Tokyo. Not a city known for ethnic diversity or strong LGBT movement. Nobody should be criticizing Persona 5 for the lack of diversity either.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8886 posts
3220 upvotes
heywhatsmyname wrote: It's a stretch to say appealing to a diverse Western market as being "politically correct" or catering to "social justice warriors". It shouldn't be controversial to have more women, non-white or LGBT people in games. There is no hidden agenda. Western developers are usually diverse and they cater for a diverse crowd. They are also based in some progressive spots such as California, Montreal, London and Paris. Some Japanese developers with a global base like Square Enix and Capcom also appeal to that market.

Persona 5 takes place in Tokyo. Not a city known for ethnic diversity or strong LGBT movement. Nobody should be criticizing Persona 5 for the lack of diversity either.
Polygon wrote a review saying how they were offended that the main character in Persona 5 (a male) could only pursue sexually implied relationships with female characters,
which is a completely ridiculous complaint IMO. Persona 5 isn't supposed to be like Mass Effect, where Mass Effect and Dragon Age caters to the social justice warriors crowd.

All game creators should be able to stick to their vision of what they want to create instead of being forced to appease a certain audience IMO.
People these days are way overly too sensitive about things and get offended way too easily.

Polygon gave Persona 5 a 9 out of 10 but the writer made a big deal about how Persona 5 is "not progressive enough".
Games should not be forced to try to pander to or should not have to be overly-sensitive to all types of people.

Even when Mass Effect: Andromeda tried to appeal to the people in the LGBT community, the Andromeda developers later received criticisms from
that same audience that the male-male romance options and sex scenes were not as diverse, sensual or graphic enough compared to the male-female
or female-female offerings.

Polygon's complaint about Persona 5:
http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/29/151040 ... mpressions
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1952 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote: Polygon wrote a review saying how they were offended that the main character in Persona 5 (a male) could only pursue sexually implied relationships with female characters,
which is a completely ridiculous complaint IMO.
It's a crazy cycle. People are offended. Then there are people offended that people are offended. And so on.

I'd agree that the Polygon complaint is an overreach. But I could see it being a legitimate criticism for others.

It will be interesting to see what Japanese developers do going forward. Fire Emblem Fates included gay marriage after complaints with Fire Emblem Awakening. I don't see that as pandering. It should not be a big deal for people that don't want to use that feature. It's like people getting upset at games having a "casual mode".

If Persona 5 sells really well in the West, I could easily see Persona 6 or Persona 7 bringing in same-sex options.
Aug 20, 2009
8106 posts
3048 upvotes
Grimsby
It's kind of a ridiculous complaint. At some point people have to accept that creative control lies in the hands of the developer. People will buy what interests them, the market will sort itself out in this respect. If there is an audience for this stuff then people will buy it and developers/publishers will market to them and make more money.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1401 posts
451 upvotes
Persona 5 has sold 1.5 million copies already. Ya I'd call that a success. That puts nier, nioh, and now P5 at over 1 million.

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/persona-5-wo ... -5-million

At least polygon had the decency to still give the game a 9.0. Digital trends actually gave the game a 7.0 because you can't play as a female. Is this a joke ?