Automotive

The personal Ajusto program, what kind of driving habits lead to 25% insurance off?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2020 1:16 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2214 posts
1144 upvotes
Toronto, ON
c0mputer wrote: All those things could be circumvented. Choose your trips that you want to record and choose which one you don’t.
I chose my work trips to one location which was easy to get to recorded for ten months . Other trips I chose as a driving with a friend - of course! I was driving with a friend in their car or my car . it wasn’t my driving or my insurance in it.
Daily commute - schedule commute - regular commute - weekend errands- record all those and group drive / co-ride when other type of commute - ask your mom/sister to drive you at party - or take a cab.

You will be much safer and others as well.

Automerit - 13% by Belair - trips recorded - 8500km and total kilometres driven in my car 40000 - who drove other kilometres while I was in a passenger seat ( co-workers , boss, sister,mother, ex , friends etc- they all have their insurances as well ) I only recorded the trips I drove.
Only thing is , I didn’t know using your phone while driving with automerit could ding you !!!
All fine and dandy until you have an accident in your car while lying you are driving with your friend.
Oct 12, 2010
124 posts
142 upvotes
carmaster wrote: How long do you have to use the app for before getting the discount?
I believe it's 1000km and 100 days. I finisihed Adjusto last month and was pretty proud of myself to get 23% off which amounted to about $250, but "co-incidentally" enough, my house insurance which I just received my invoice for went up by an amount that exceeds this. I'd be curious to see what my next year auto insurance premium is going to look like. It's probably going to go up. The way I see it, desjardines is paying you a one time temporary benefit to allow them to track your driving for 3 months. They benefit is only temporary because they then just hike your other rates you have with them to compensate for any lost revenue due to the discount.
Nov 20, 2007
68 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
TimFr wrote: I believe it's 1000km and 100 days. I finisihed Adjusto last month and was pretty proud of myself to get 23% off which amounted to about $250, but "co-incidentally" enough, my house insurance which I just received my invoice for went up by an amount that exceeds this. I'd be curious to see what my next year auto insurance premium is going to look like. It's probably going to go up. The way I see it, desjardines is paying you a one time temporary benefit to allow them to track your driving for 3 months. They benefit is only temporary because they then just hike your other rates you have with them to compensate for any lost revenue due to the discount.
The exact same thing happened to me. I finished with a 25% discount but then my home insurance went up by a similar amount. I don't think its related though as the home insurance hike came first. I've asked some friends and everyone's home insurance has gone up by a huge % this year as insurance companies faced heavy losses recently. When I tried to get a quote elsewhere the price came back even higher, which makes me think more increases are coming. As for the car insurance, we will see what happens next year.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5629 posts
5754 upvotes
Toronto
Does this app work? It just sits there saying "You need at least 5 trips" and "Start driving and your trips will appear".

I've had it on my phone for 2 months and commute/drive daily and I've seen notifications from it that it's recording my trip.
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Feb 15, 2007
46 posts
46 upvotes
Mississauga
Is it just me or is it impossible to a even 1 star for the hard cornering achievement.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2005
2423 posts
135 upvotes
hoob wrote: Does this app work? It just sits there saying "You need at least 5 trips" and "Start driving and your trips will appear".

I've had it on my phone for 2 months and commute/drive daily and I've seen notifications from it that it's recording my trip.
You need to turn off battery save mode for the app otherwise it will not record.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2005
2423 posts
135 upvotes
mendo wrote: Is it just me or is it impossible to a even 1 star for the hard cornering achievement.
I got mostly 2 stars out of 3. But I'm beginning to learn how to get 3 stars :)
Oct 31, 2011
157 posts
15 upvotes
Did 5 trips so far, my score is 100. 100km done. Its quite easy to be fair... Don't accelerate too fast and don't brake too hard. I drive at the speed limit or slightly over. In other words, just normal driving condition. There is no way you have to drive like a granny to achieve that score. Its very easy to achieve if you keep your distance. For the people living in Montreal, it might be much harder.

I only record my trip to work. Traffic is minimal.
Koodo 45$ 11gb
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2005
2423 posts
135 upvotes
Minimum traffic (stop & go), short distance, mostly highway driving will allow you to have a easy high score. Suitable for retirees.
Oct 31, 2002
627 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know the purpose of the score trend graph? My score trend has increased gradually over the last two months, but my actual score has not changed more than a couple percent and remains well below the most recent score on the graph.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2005
2423 posts
135 upvotes
The graph is your daily score. Unfortunately, the actual score is calculated from the last 15 days. You should monitor the actual update date because if you are lucky, your 100 days test period might be only 86 days :). This info is from the tech support.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2005
2423 posts
135 upvotes
Just completed the program, got 24% off, was aiming for the max 25% Angry Face. Oh well, hard to be perfect lol
Apr 25, 2019
177 posts
63 upvotes
The app says Need 5 trips to get a score after which one will get discount I believe.
Some people have mentioned in the forum that one requires 1000km of total distance to get a discount

Which one is true?
Jun 9, 2017
43 posts
6 upvotes
I've been using the Ajusto program for a week now and here are my observations so far.

The braking on the Ajusto application is quite sensitive - so it's quite easy to get marked off for hard braking if approaching an intersection and subsequently stopping for a traffic light that has just turned yellow. To avoid the application from a detecting hard braking in this situation, you will have to time your approaches through intersections by watching the pedestrian countdown and slow down in advance before it actually turns yellow. I'm sure the vehicles behind you will not appreciate it though. The other option is to run through the yellow light but I'm sure that's not what the Ajusto program is encouraging drivers to do.

The other observation is that the Ajusto program favours drivers with shorter commutes. So even if a driver has a completely "perfect" drive on a long commute, it might still be scored lower than someone with a shorter commute that did trigger events (i.e. fast acceleration, braking, etc.). I've read some people with long commutes work around this by breaking up their long commute by making stops along the way but this is not very practical and obviously extends your commute time.

Ajusto application does allow you to discard a certain a number of your lower scoring trips so they don't drag your overall score down. I think the application initially gives you 3 trips to discard. As you drive more, you will be earn the right to discard more trips. Maybe the people who have used Ajusto program longer can provide further details on the option to remove additional trips by driving more.
Jun 9, 2017
43 posts
6 upvotes
dentonic88 wrote: The app says Need 5 trips to get a score after which one will get discount I believe.
Some people have mentioned in the forum that one requires 1000km of total distance to get a discount

Which one is true?
5 trips are needed to get an initial score - there will be no discount applied yet. It just to give you an idea of what type of discount you can expect.
To get an actual discount, you need to be on the Ajusto program for 100 days and driven at least 1000 km.