Automotive

The personal Ajusto program, what kind of driving habits lead to 25% insurance off?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2020 1:16 pm
Nov 27, 2014
10 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I used this program ..
1. 1000 km and 3 months period to monitor your driving habits
2. You can remove trips which you dnt want app to consider your score
3. speeding, hard breaking, fast curve are few things impacts more on score
I able to Manage 23% Discount Slightly Smiling Face
As soon as i finished 3 months and 1000km, next insurance Premium they gave me 23% discount ..
We feel like going very slow as have to follow traffic rules and speed etc but it helped me for my G test and save few hundred $ .
higway driving might not help to get good score but then you have facility to remove/mark trips for score calculations
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4014 posts
942 upvotes
I just switched to a new company and was offered an app. Review about the app is not good. People said the app registered a speed bump as a abrupt braking. And what about using the phone when somebody else is driving? Android app can run in the background even you don't start it up.

Insurance company has excuse to increase the premium even you use the app. Answer the question why they kept increasing ones insurance when their record is in good standing? The only thing we can do right now is the shop for different companies before government come up with a better solution to deal with this nonsense. I change my company once every two years on average. It might sound a hassle but I saved over $500 this time.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Guru
Jul 17, 2008
10728 posts
3436 upvotes
This kind of stupid crap is what will generate road rage. This is so counter intuitive in creating a safer driving environment (which results in less claims).
Jun 9, 2017
43 posts
6 upvotes
Avatar wrote: And what about using the phone when somebody else is driving?
You have the option to discard those trips if someone used your phone while you were driving. Just keep in mind that you are however limited on how many trips you can discard
Jun 9, 2017
43 posts
6 upvotes
khotvikasp wrote: I was able to Manage 23% Discount Slightly Smiling Face
May I ask you what was your average commute like while be evaluating under the Ajusto program.

What was your average daily mileage?
Was driving on highway or local roads?

I'm finding people who have trips less than 10 km, get scored much more favourably by Ajusto.

Even if you drive perfectly on a long trip without any events being recorded, the best you can score is 2 out of 3.
Nov 27, 2014
10 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That’s correct shorter trip helps to increase score .. whenever low score I use to mark those trips so that app should not consider for calculating score
Most of Highway trips need to remove due to braking or sharp turns etc .. my daily commuting was very less in first 3 months like school drop/pickup, grocery’s, doctors place etc .. weekend trips to wonderland from my place 35 km or so .. few trips to wasaga/ Hamilton niagara etc
Images
  • 00103802-BBA4-43D7-A02E-98A134E687DE.jpeg
Jun 9, 2017
43 posts
6 upvotes
My biggest complaint about the Ajusto program is that it penalizes you for long commutes.

If the insurer is saying your chances of getting into a motor vehicle accident increases with the distance of your commute, then people who have long commutes will inherently find it more difficult achieve a perfect trip. There is no need for the Ajusto program to specifically deduct points just for completing a long trips since long commuters have already been evaluated against a longer and inherently more difficult drive.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
7725 posts
2577 upvotes
Mississauga
PatrickRedFlagDeals wrote: My biggest complaint about the Ajusto program is that it penalizes you for long commutes.

If the insurer is saying your chances of getting into a motor vehicle accident increases with the distance of your commute, then people who have long commutes will inherently find it more difficult achieve a perfect trip. There is no need for the Ajusto program to specifically deduct points just for completing a long trips since long commuters have already been evaluated against a longer and inherently more difficult drive.
I don't think the scoring is penalizing you for distance driven. It's penalizing you for the categories it rates on. Assuming the outsource and use the same app that other insurance companies are using, then it's scoring you based on acceleration, braking, cornering, speed, and contextual (time of day as well as surroundings). None of those things have anything to do with distance.

For example, I've scored 98 out of 100 (on a different app) for 82km drive from Waterloo to Mississauga. Speed was the one category i got dinged on since limit is 100km/h and i was going with flow of traffic. But even still it was 98 out of 100. No reason why you'd have to brake hard or accelerate hard, etc.
Dec 19, 2010
777 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
anyone know if once you reach the 1000km threshold before the 100 days is up, you can turn off the app/GPS tracking?
Aug 30, 2018
162 posts
117 upvotes
I got 23%. But IMO the way they want you to drive for a high score is high risk, as it will not blend with the flow of traffic.
Jun 9, 2017
43 posts
6 upvotes
kenchau wrote: For example, I've scored 98 out of 100 (on a different app) for 82km drive from Waterloo to Mississauga. Speed was the one category i got dinged on since limit is 100km/h and i was going with flow of traffic. But even still it was 98 out of 100. No reason why you'd have to brake hard or accelerate hard, etc.
Ajusto is definitely penalizing drivers for long trips.

I can drive a perfect long trip (no fast acceleration or hard braking) and they will give it 2 out of 3 stars. If I do a perfect short trip, I get 3 out of 3 stars.

Since you are using a different application, it may not be penalizing you for long trips but Ajusto certainly does. When you drive also affects your score too.

If you go to their website, it even acknowledges "Time of Day" and "Distance Travelled" affects your score.

My argument is if people are driving long trips at times considered higher risk, this is already taken into factor by watching their driving habits. So why penalize them again?
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1237 posts
446 upvotes
GTA
Trying to figure out how this thing works, but the APP is 100% a POS
My 100% stock android 10 phone does not work with it, won't record a trip at all
I found an old phone, and tried that...
It worked on the way to work, but not on the way home it did not
This morning, I left home and when I got to work..
It showed my trip as a round trip from work to work <- as in yesterdays got merged in...
Thus I have 2 short trips merged into 1 aka - I only got 2 star on a perfect drive.
Jun 9, 2017
43 posts
6 upvotes
I'm using the Ajusto app on a Motorola G7 Plus (Android 9) and have not noticed any issues recording my trips. The one time it merged two trips into one was when I stopped to gas on my way to work. I guess my stop was too brief for the Ajusto app to recognize it as 2 trips.

How far is your to work? The reason I ask is because the Ajusto app doesn't count any trips less than 1 km
Jun 9, 2017
43 posts
6 upvotes
If you do that, The Personal may notice the sudden change in your driving habit and possibly question you on it.