Personal Finance Accreditation

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 8:39 am
[OP]
Nov 9, 2006
374 posts
60 upvotes

Personal Finance Accreditation

I help out a few Neigbours and relatives with Personal Finance (ie Estate Planning, centralizing all finances under a preferred Bank, setting up online banking etc) and am thinking to start to charge a fee of $50/hr.

1. How much should I be charging?
2. Should I charge a flat-fee if I have to accompany them to a Bank for a visit, as an advisor (IE $100 flat fee on top of the $50/hr)
3. What are any options for a quick accreditation? And how much time and $ would it cost.

I should mention I have a mid-high level of knowledge when it comes to investing/estate planning/online banking etc and have a few 3 year College Diplomas including Business Admin and I.T.
I am also recently layed-off and collecting EI. 54 yrs old. Any subsidies for education towards this?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8000 posts
3297 upvotes
Financial District B…
ronatola wrote: I help out a few Neigbours and relatives with Personal Finance (ie Estate Planning, centralizing all finances under a preferred Bank, setting up online banking etc) and am thinking to start to charge a fee of $50/hr.

2. Should I charge a flat-fee if I have to accompany them to a Bank for a visit, as an advisor (IE $100 flat fee on top of the $50/hr)
3. What are any options for a quick accreditation? And how much time and $ would it cost.

I should mention I have a mid-high level of knowledge when it comes to investing/estate planning/online banking etc and have a few 3 year College Diplomas including Business Admin and I.T.
I am also recently layed-off and collecting EI. 54 yrs old. Any subsidies for education towards this?
Are you a licensed certified CFP/PFP? If not then you should not be charging anything let alone given people financial advice.
Having some knowledge does not make you an authority
You should look up the Financial Professionals Title Protection Act, 2019
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5644 posts
1411 upvotes
ronatola wrote: I help out a few Neigbours and relatives with Personal Finance (ie Estate Planning, centralizing all finances under a preferred Bank, setting up online banking etc) and am thinking to start to charge a fee of $50/hr.

it will be amusing when these people sue you.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3548 posts
710 upvotes
Sounds like you might be better off helping on the IT side of things - helping set up online accounts etc. rather than the more substantive advice. I say this because other than the one reference to estate planning, it sounds like you do more “personal IT concierge” type stuff.