• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2019 10:16 am
[OP]
Mar 5, 2018
117 posts
41 upvotes

Personal information listed on this site

Hi all,

I'm not sure where to post this subject. Pardon-me if I'm wrong.

I just find my personal information (name, address, phone) listed on this site locatefamily_dot_com (I don't want to make ads for them).
I have found some discussions about that site here: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2606971

How do you think about these scam websites? Is there anything we can do to stop it?

(Don't try to search your information on their website to avoid the confirmation about your info)

Tom
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5293 posts
802 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Why would you call that a "scam website"?

I can see that being very useful for some people.
And your name, address and phone number is public information - that's exactly what telephone companies used to print in their phone books unless you got an unlisted number.
Today there is much more about you on line
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1100 posts
967 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't think you can keep name/address/phone from appearing in public records - it's just too common. The best you can do is try to keep more confidential information like SIN, birthdate, mother's maiden name etc. out of the public record.

I've always tried diligently to keep too much public information from appearing about our family members, and for the most part we have succeeded. Fortunately there are other people with the same names and higher public profiles to bury our few results several pages down. The only one that really annoys me is IMDB - one of our family members once made some brief comments in a documentary, and now their details are listed in IMDB and turn up high in Google searches.
Oct 1, 2009
365 posts
126 upvotes
West coast
Do you have a preferred website in mind where you want your information only to be available?