Fitness and Nutrition

Personal trainer suggestions in Toronto (midtown)?

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2018 12:11 pm
[OP]
Mar 13, 2018
34 posts
7 upvotes

Personal trainer suggestions in Toronto (midtown)?

I am looking for a personal trainer who can help me loose weight and get me in shape, I am 5.11 man weighing around 240 lbs.

Need your suggestions who are you training with and how much are you paying on hourly basis in Toronto? I have had gym memberships in the past but hardly used them due to lack of motivation, don't want to take same route again just to tied with yearly contracts.

I need a trainer who is expert, keeps motivated and has track of delivering results for their clients (not the big fitness chains) without charging exorbitant fees/rates?

Any help is appreciated, Much thanks :)
8 replies
Jun 12, 2017
122 posts
46 upvotes
Where in midtown Toronto? I am a trainer and know a few people in the city. I can help point you in the right direction depending on your location. Are you willing to join small-groups (4-8 people)?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
195 upvotes
Markham, ON
You are your best personal trainer. Was there a sport you enjoyed as a child? Were you ever part of any sport teams? Maybe consider joining a team who intends to train.

You will be doing drills and playing games. More drills than games.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6133 posts
1993 upvotes
Thornhill
Find someone with very good nutrition knowledge. There are a lot of personal trainers,but 90% are clueless about nutrition and for you nutrition will be 95%. You can lose a lot of weight just by eating right.
Your trainer should create a nutrition program specifically for you. Stay away from any that don't do that.
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
Sep 17, 2017
88 posts
32 upvotes
Watch out for trainers who self-promote like crazy on their online portfolios- "I helped 1000 people shed 20 pounds with my secret 3-month hardcore workout routine".

Your best bet is to find a guy with a good physique, ask him whether he takes supplements or anything that boosts muscle mass but doesn't qualify as normal food if you know what I mean. Ask him to write a nutrition cheat sheet, the chances are he might even offer you free advice. Be friends with him, get more free stuff or if he's reluctant to help, get his trainer's cell phone number. Start hunting :)
Jun 12, 2017
122 posts
46 upvotes
Poppwl wrote: You are your best personal trainer. Was there a sport you enjoyed as a child? Were you ever part of any sport teams? Maybe consider joining a team who intends to train.

You will be doing drills and playing games. More drills than games.
I agree and disagree with this. Some kind of sport is excellent to get in physical activity. But in terms of longevity, health and actually learning about your own body, some sort of strength training or formal movement practice is necessary.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
195 upvotes
Markham, ON
SauceLife wrote: I agree and disagree with this. Some kind of sport is excellent to get in physical activity. But in terms of longevity, health and actually learning about your own body, some sort of strength training or formal movement practice is necessary.
Usually formal movement practice is part of sport team training. When I was young, my team trained at least three times a week (before and/or after school). Lots of training was involved.
Jun 12, 2017
122 posts
46 upvotes
Poppwl wrote: Usually formal movement practice is part of sport team training. When I was young, my team trained at least three times a week (before and/or after school). Lots of training was involved.
Yes, me too. That's definitely not the case with adult sports though (if it's recreational). OP is a 240 lb man - not a 110 lb boy. That is NOT formal movement practice in my books. Formal movement practice would involve actually learning how to move properly. How to organize the ankles, knees, hips, spine and shoulders in order to maintain structural integrity while in stable and unstable positions.

For strength training, these movement patterns involve hinging, squatting, lunging, pushing and pulling. I assure you that these things are not addressed when someone is playing sports. Again, I'm all for sports but as we continue to age, strength training or some similar movement practice is vital to our health and longevity.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
195 upvotes
Markham, ON
@Penultimo Well, I wish you best of luck. Just remember to listen to your body. As you lose weight, you will naturally feel lighter and stronger at the same time :)

@SauceLife O...K...