[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4582 posts
1825 upvotes
GTA

Pesky Raccoon & New Sod

Hello,

I completely re-sodded my lawn a couple of months ago and installed in-ground sprinklers at the same time. Fast forward to about three weeks ago and I noticed that a few of the pieces of sod are flipped over in the morning. Security camera confirms that it's a raccoon coming almost nightly now and flipping the same few patches over to eat bugs/worms. It's not disturbing the soil underneath in any way.

The rest of the grass has all rooted and cannot be flipped over, but because this raccoon keeps doing it in a couple of specific areas the sod isn't getting an opportunity to root properly.

I don't know how to deter the raccoon from doing this and according to neighbors they also have damage to their grass from raccoons.

I've tried using landscape fabric spikes/nails to hold the sod in place but this raccoon has no issue flipping them over. I've also spread fertilizer as per Fairgreen sod farms to promote strong root growth but again that can't happen if they're being flipped over nightly.

Any ideas? Ideally I just need long enough to allow the sod to root. My hope is that at that point the raccoon will go somewhere else where food is easier to come by.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1859 posts
1283 upvotes
Toronto
This is probably a sign you have grubs in your lawn. Get rid of the grubs and the racoons will stop coming back.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1516 posts
1041 upvotes
Longueuil
Yes raccoons and skunks will destroy the lawn to eat grubs. Unfortunately, in my experience, they don't do a very good job so you end up with a lawn full of holes with a lot of grubs still eating the roots of the grass...
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
May 6, 2010
930 posts
324 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fix metal mesh with camping stakes in the affected areas.
works like a charm.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1257 posts
442 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Depending on where you got your sod from, they sometimes come filled with grubs. Maybe you only have a few pieces that had them.

If you know the raccoons schedule get up one night and prepare your favorite projectile or the hose and give him a scare. They will keep coming back unless they have a reason not to.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6572 posts
6045 upvotes
Though the raccoons might be after grubs, does not mean you have a grub infestation problem otherwise they would be ripping up the lawn everywhere - nothing to do with the sod being rooted - plus grubs are very hard to get rid of. Try sprinkling cayenne pepper or another animal's urine in those areas.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4582 posts
1825 upvotes
GTA
I thought grubs also but they're not digging up anywhere else in the lawn......it's always just the few pieces of sod that haven't rooted yet. Would grubs exist in such a localized area of the lawn like that?

I put down cayenne pepper a couple of times but my sprinklers end up washing it away.

There is absolutely no schedule whatsoever....sometimes it comes as early as 10:00pm and other times as "late" as 5:00am.

I may give the metal mesh with camping stakes a shot.....just have to be careful not to impede the sprinkler heads. Is this something I can purchase from Home Depot?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7511 posts
8074 upvotes
Vancouver
Metal mesh will work - and cause them to move over a few feet and rip up the lawn there instead.

Trapping in a safe trap and relocating them works for a while - but some municipalities don't allow it, and if you have skunks you are very likely to trap them as well, which causes release problems.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1310 posts
611 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Same thing happened to us when we out new sod. My husband bought a few rolls of chicken wire from Dollarama and put them on top of the sod and fixed them with sod stakes
May 6, 2010
930 posts
324 upvotes
Richmond Hill
absolutely, works the best.