Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2793 posts
549 upvotes
Kagaaruk, NU

Are pet contracts enforceable?

I adopted a kitten from a breeder and signed a contract that says the kitten needs to be neutered at a certain age, and that the certificate needs to be forwarded to the breeder as proof.

I am having second thoughts about neutering my cat as he's going to be kept indoors anyway.

If I don't neuter him, can the breeder take legal action against me or take the kitten back?

I understand that the breeder is likely doing this to ensure that I don't breed my cat, but I don't plan on doing that anyway and would be willing to sign an amendment that would ensure that I don't breed him.
10 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19832 posts
5182 upvotes
Off the 404
I have no idea on the contract but is the cat a male or female?

Cats in heat are no fun to clean up.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6371 posts
1203 upvotes
coriolis wrote: I have no idea on the contract but is the cat a male or female?

Cats in heat are no fun to clean up.
OP’s post indicates it’s a male cat.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19832 posts
5182 upvotes
Off the 404
amz155 wrote: OP’s post indicates it’s a male cat.
Ah I'm dumb, too early on a Sunday , I need my coffee.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1347 posts
993 upvotes
British Columbia
Unneutered male cats are more likely to spray urine around your house, and neutering them doesn't always fix the problem once it's become a habit. Have fun cleaning up cat urine around your house for the next 20 years.

What It's Like Living with a Cat Who Isn't Fixed
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2793 posts
549 upvotes
Kagaaruk, NU
Karala wrote: Unneutered male cats are more likely to spray urine around your house, and neutering them doesn't always fix the problem once it's become a habit. Have fun cleaning up cat urine around your house for the next 20 years.

What It's Like Living with a Cat Who Isn't Fixed
That doesn't really answer my question, but sure, I'll bite and let you derail this topic towards a discussion on neutered vs intact cats.

Yeah I've already heard about that before.

They spray to mark their territory, especially when they feel that their territory is threatened. This happens frequently in homes with more than one cat. That article you linked starts off by talking about interactions between multiple male cats.

We don't plan on having more than one cat in our home, and we plan on keeping our cat indoors.

Can anyone tell me how frequently my cat's going to spray if he's an indoor cat, and if he's the only cat in the household that doesn't have to compete for anything? I don't think so...

I feel like the main reason cats are neutered is because animal control keeps pushing for it as they don't want unwanted kittens. Again, not a problem in my case because we'd be keeping our cat indoors anyway.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1347 posts
993 upvotes
British Columbia
If you read the article, you would see that most male cats that aren't neutered will start spraying sooner or later. It doesn't matter if there's other cats in the home or not, it's just what they do.

Once it starts you'll be looking at neutering your cat ASAP. But by then it may be too late. Also you'll be looking at a lot of veterinary visits trying to figure out if it's behavioral verses a health issue along with a lot of frustration because cleaning up cat urine is next to impossible. Most cats end up being surrendered due to urinary behavioral problems, and no one wants to adopt them.

Are you honestly willing to risk your cat and its place in your house because you don't want to neuter it? I lived with a cat that urinated around the house for 18 years, and it destroyed my house. Cat urine is terrible.

You signed a contract, so either hold your end of the bargain or give the cat back to the breeder.
Jul 4, 2009
976 posts
131 upvotes
Mississauga area
Pet contracts are as enforceable as any other contract. You break the contract, the other party may or may not proceed with legal action, no one can tell you how the other party will react.

People who sign contracts with every intention of not following through is beyond selfish and dishonest. The worse thing in your case is that a living being will suffer the consequences.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2793 posts
549 upvotes
Kagaaruk, NU
So the cat would exhibit stress and frustration at not being able to breed if he's kept intact. I didn't take that into consideration.

Looks like neutering might keep him happier in the long run even if he stays indoors.

FYI I did intend on neutering the cat when I signed the contract. This was just more or less a change of mind because I've grown pretty attached to my cat, and being a dude myself, I started feeling guilty about removing his organs.

Does neutering affect their hunting instinct?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1347 posts
993 upvotes
British Columbia
dc200 wrote: being a dude myself, I started feeling guilty about removing his organs.

Does neutering affect their hunting instinct?
You're projecting. Stop doing that. It's such a simple procedure as well that the cat is back to himself the next day typically.

And no, I have never heard of this. All my male cats are fantastic hunters. Your cat being indoors, I don't see the issue either way...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5127 posts
1927 upvotes
Toronto
dc200 wrote: So the cat would exhibit stress and frustration at not being able to breed if he's kept intact. I didn't take that into consideration.

Looks like neutering might keep him happier in the long run even if he stays indoors.
I have a cat that was neutered late (found him as a stray when he was already a few years old). Despite being neutered, as a result of his age he had already developed certain behaviours that don't translate well to indoor life. Basically he tries to bang the furniture. It doesn't bother me but I'm sure it's not that fun for him, and probably doesn't help to scratch that itch much, and he probably wishes he didn't have that urge. He does it less now than in the ~2 weeks we had him before he was neutered, but he would probably be happier if he'd had it done earlier in life before he felt the need to do it.