Pets

Pet insurance

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2021 11:01 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
3376 posts
1782 upvotes

Pet insurance

Anyone with thepersonal pet insurance and have any feedback?

The Silver package doesn't seems bad with $700 dental care.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3241 posts
2107 upvotes
Markham
Not another insurance thread.....
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1585 posts
1390 upvotes
Etobicoke
BDSL wrote: Not another insurance thread.....
I did a search for "pet insurance" on this forum- 34 pages of results
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3241 posts
2107 upvotes
Markham
People are getting lazy at researching....they want everything to be spoon fed....
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12233 posts
3223 upvotes
--
We just got a puppy, for what I would pick myself if comes out $833/year to be covered for $2500 and I believe the deductible was $200

For some that may seem good, but I'd rather put $2500 off to the side now and bank $833/year over 3 years and see what happens, if nothing happens in 3 years ill have $5000 off to the side and lock it at that for vet expenses.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
3376 posts
1782 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: We just got a puppy, for what I would pick myself if comes out $833/year to be covered for $2500 and I believe the deductible was $200

For some that may seem good, but I'd rather put $2500 off to the side now and bank $833/year over 3 years and see what happens, if nothing happens in 3 years ill have $5000 off to the side and lock it at that for vet expenses.
I end up going with trupanion because of the friends stories and how much they had to spend. These are extreme cases but 1 friend paid $8k a year and another had spent $30k in just 2 month. You might be lucky and nothing happens but if something does, I don't want to be put in a position to pick between money or the treating the dog.

Another good point my friend made was trupanion is unlimited claim amount and there it hedged against inflation, where as if I picked thepersonal, it 4k per condition annually but 10 years from now 4k isn't the same as 4k now.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12233 posts
3223 upvotes
--
zzricezz wrote: I end up going with trupanion because of the friends stories and how much they had to spend. These are extreme cases but 1 friend paid $8k a year and another had spent $30k in just 2 month. You might be lucky and nothing happens but if something does, I don't want to be put in a position to pick between money or the treating the dog.

Another good point my friend made was trupanion is unlimited claim amount and there it hedged against inflation, where as if I picked thepersonal, it 4k per condition annually but 10 years from now 4k isn't the same as 4k now.
Have you had to use it yet? It sounds like your 2 friends purchased very sick animals but I dont know.

For me I'll take my chances, I'll be getting the next shot of vaccines this week coming up and I'll see what the vet has to say
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
3376 posts
1782 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Have you had to use it yet? It sounds like your 2 friends purchased very sick animals but I dont know.

For me I'll take my chances, I'll be getting the next shot of vaccines this week coming up and I'll see what the vet has to say
Nope, cause mine is also a puppy, and my friends dog are older in age. Just as human, dog will develop conditions as they age. And once a pre-condition is diagnosed, insurance will no longer cover it if you then want to enroll.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3241 posts
2107 upvotes
Markham
zzricezz wrote: Nope, cause mine is also a puppy, and my friends dog are older in age. Just as human, dog will develop conditions as they age. And once a pre-condition is diagnosed, insurance will no longer cover it if you then want to enroll.
I need context. Exactly what were wrong with your friends' dogs? Were they fed with proper food and right amount? Were they exercising regularly? Were they hit by a vehicle?
How much insurance you have to pay for how much coverage?
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3463 posts
1606 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
zzricezz wrote: I end up going with trupanion because of the friends stories and how much they had to spend. These are extreme cases but 1 friend paid $8k a year and another had spent $30k in just 2 month. You might be lucky and nothing happens but if something does, I don't want to be put in a position to pick between money or the treating the dog.

Another good point my friend made was trupanion is unlimited claim amount and there it hedged against inflation, where as if I picked thepersonal, it 4k per condition annually but 10 years from now 4k isn't the same as 4k now.
Love my dog for but for $30k, I'll be letting it go. Sorry to sound cold but that's just the hard truth.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12233 posts
3223 upvotes
--
djdestroyer wrote: Love my dog for but for $30k, I'll be letting it go. Sorry to sound cold but that's just the hard truth.
Its not even just that. At some point the animals quality of life probably isn't that great.

I remember when an old friends sister spent $10,000 on an American bull dogs (I think) issue with its back legs. One week after surgery the dog died.

That aside, our pup just had its 3rd set of shots (lime disease for the 3rd one) and the vet did am exam and said everything is perfectly fine, nothing to worry about. The dogs happy and running around like crazy. Hoping I won't regret not taking the insurance but whatever.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1146 posts
654 upvotes
djdestroyer wrote: Love my dog for but for $30k, I'll be letting it go. Sorry to sound cold but that's just the hard truth.
anything above $5K in vet expense even with insurance is best to let go and donate the money to a human charity like SickKids
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3819 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
Hood_Rep wrote: anything above $5K in vet expense even with insurance is best to let go and donate the money to a human charity like SickKids
Disagree. Pets are family too. And $5K does not get you far these days.

Top