Automotive

pet peeve: people who leave 1-3 car lenghs infront of them at a stop lite. WHY???

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2015 8:51 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge

pet peeve: people who leave 1-3 car lenghs infront of them at a stop lite. WHY???

Why do people stop at stop lites and leave a huge gap infront of the car above them?? Who in the heck taught these people that its normal? The other day a lady left 2 car lengths infront of her car, it was bumper to bumper, people behind her were honking telling her to move forward but she wouldnt budge. I did something crazy I was in the lane beside her so I moved into her lane and filled the gap infront of her perfectly and she still had pleanty space infront of her. I wish I could tell her "see that wasnt so bad" does anyone else on here hate those drivers? Is anyone else on here one of those ppl?
147 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22333 posts
2979 upvotes
I got used to it driving a manual car... It felt easier to engage clutch from rolling than dead stop :S
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1228 upvotes
I don't do it, but it is taught in driver's ed as a good practice due to if the car in front of you craps out to have enough room to be able to pull out around them.

It also provides a buffer if somebody decides to rear end you, you won't end up rear ending the person in front of you. Another benefit is that you can start getting up to speed quicker as you don't need to wait for the car in front to start moving, you can start moving as cars further up are moving and if timed right by the time you reach the next car they are moving too.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Apr 2, 2009
851 posts
231 upvotes
Settle down, the lady is actually driving the "correct way" leaving 1-2 car lengths of space is what you are supposed to do. It's called defensive driving. The reason you are supposed to do that is so if you get rear ended, you don't slam into the car directly in front of you.

No one does this however, even thou they are supposed to. Juding by this post your probably a young male 18-25 ish and wonder why you pay so much for auto premiums for people in your age group.

Anyone have pet peeves about people who have pet peeves against people doing things the correct way?
Oct 29, 2009
401 posts
74 upvotes
to prevent sucking in the dude's exhaust in front of you
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3444 posts
1807 upvotes
GTA
Stronzo1 wrote: Why do people stop at stop lites and leave a huge gap infront of the car above them?? Who in the heck taught these people that its normal? The other day a lady left 2 car lengths infront of her car, it was bumper to bumper, people behind her were honking telling her to move forward but she wouldnt budge. I did something crazy I was in the lane beside her so I moved into her lane and filled the gap infront of her perfectly and she still had pleanty space infront of her. I wish I could tell her "see that wasnt so bad" does anyone else on here hate those drivers? Is anyone else on here one of those ppl?
I always leave 1-1.5 car length worth of space in front of me. Come at me.
I love RFD! :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5085 posts
1040 upvotes
Burlington
I drive a manual and if the car in front of me decides to move up 1-2 car lengths I don't bother putting it in gear to do the same. I just wait for the light to change.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2576 posts
1321 upvotes
Hometown
You are supposed to stop when the top of your hood becomes even with the rear tires on the car in front of you. That is so when you get rear ended you might not crash into the car in front of you.

As for where other people stop their cars at a light, I gave up and don't let such trivial things worry me. As long as when the light changes they move I could care less where they stop.... It only takes a car less than a second to travel that extra distance, when they get going, if that whole second is going to ruin your day, maybe you are one step away from road rage.

Seriously if you want a pet peeve on the roads, how about the hot rodder who cuts you off, by jumping into your lane only to turn 100ft later. It is really annoying when the lane they left is full so you can't move into it, but the lane BEHIND you is empty. So if they weren't so self important they could have waited....
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5548 posts
3045 upvotes
Toronto
Ojam wrote: I don't do it, but it is taught in driver's ed as a good practice due to if the car in front of you craps out to have enough room to be able to pull out around them.

It also provides a buffer if somebody decides to rear end you, you won't end up rear ending the person in front of you.
Agreed.
That buffer also helps prevent "staged" accidents and potential carjackings/thefts. You can't get blocked in.
Jul 14, 2014
315 posts
318 upvotes
colossk wrote: Settle down, the lady is actually driving the "correct way" leaving 1-2 car lengths of space is what you are supposed to do. It's called defensive driving. The reason you are supposed to do that is so if you get rear ended, you don't slam into the car directly in front of you.
This is correct, but I have also seen extreme cases where some people stop so far back that it starts to impede traffic behind them so I see where OP is coming from too.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1180 posts
406 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Canuck2fan wrote: You are supposed to stop when the top of your hood becomes even with the rear tires on the car in front of you. That is so when you get rear ended you might not crash into the car in front of you.

As for where other people stop their cars at a light, I gave up and don't let such trivial things worry me. As long as when the light changes they move I could care less where they stop.... It only takes a car less than a second to travel that extra distance, when they get going, if that whole second is going to ruin your day, maybe you are one step away from road rage.

Seriously if you want a pet peeve on the roads, how about the hot rodder who cuts you off, by jumping into your lane only to turn 100ft later. It is really annoying when the lane they left is full so you can't move into it, but the lane BEHIND you is empty. So if they weren't so self important they could have waited....
That's what I have been taught to. I try and do that when parallel parking too. It's just a safe practice to not get boxed in. Leaving more space than that though, is pointless.

Ultimately it depends on the amount of traffic behind me, I like being considerate and move up a little if the street design demands it (turning into an intersection like 16 ave and Deerfoot trail where the roadway is very segmented and not easy to judge in heavy traffic - often you get vehicles stuck trying to turn right on the roadway because some tool decided to change lanes midway through a turn).
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
Why is this a pet peeve? 1 car length is the minimum they will tell you, and if it's any less than that and the car in front rolls back and collides with yours, you could actually be found at fault as well, so I'd consider 2 car length not unreasonable. Cop will also tell you that's a requirement but not sure if this is stated in HTA.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1015 posts
269 upvotes
I don't see the big deal either. I don't leave that much space but I leave enough when I have drivers in front of me that like to brake hard in bumper to bumper traffic because they're following the car in front of them too closely...man that's annoying. It's not like you're going to get home or wherever any faster...
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1730 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Ojam wrote: I don't do it, but it is taught in driver's ed as a good practice due to if the car in front of you craps out to have enough room to be able to pull out around them.

It also provides a buffer if somebody decides to rear end you, you won't end up rear ending the person in front of you. Another benefit is that you can start getting up to speed quicker as you don't need to wait for the car in front to start moving, you can start moving as cars further up are moving and if timed right by the time you reach the next car they are moving too.
They actually taught you that nonsense? It's actually a great way to cause more rear-endings, and you really don't want that, believe me.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1730 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
colossk wrote: Settle down, the lady is actually driving the "correct way" leaving 1-2 car lengths of space is what you are supposed to do. It's called defensive driving. The reason you are supposed to do that is so if you get rear ended, you don't slam into the car directly in front of you.

No one does this however, even thou they are supposed to. Juding by this post your probably a young male 18-25 ish and wonder why you pay so much for auto premiums for people in your age group.

Anyone have pet peeves about people who have pet peeves against people doing things the correct way?
You are supposed to leave that sort of gap when driving. NOT when stopped at traffic lights.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1730 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Canuck2fan wrote: You are supposed to stop when the top of your hood becomes even with the rear tires on the car in front of you.
That's correct. I'm not sure if it's as applicable today though, with far shorter and more sloped hoods than back in the day. You need to find other ways to judge proper distance. 2+ car lengths is much too far though. I have to wonder what sort of neighbourhoods some here live in when they're so paranoid about carjackings and the like.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38201 posts
24389 upvotes
Center of Universe
Minimum 1 car length for me.
Got a problem, go to the other lane.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21053 posts
5662 upvotes
Poormond Hill
One car length for me also. Op needs anger management.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32073 posts
19287 upvotes
Toronto
simple answer .... The famous "Ragu" effect ...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)