Pets

Pet wanted for my kids (7,5 & 2 year old)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2021 5:53 pm
[OP]
Apr 5, 2017
598 posts
132 upvotes

Pet wanted for my kids (7,5 & 2 year old)

Hi Folks,
We are family of 5, myself, wife and 3 kiddos aging from 2, 5 & 7 year old. They always wanted a pet. Me and my wife are damn busy with our work and taking care of kids as we are not sending them to any day care, as we prefer to care them by our-self as much as possible. Now they really wanted a pet but I don't think they know how difficult it will be to manage. What will be an ideal pet to take care with not much of attention & work. A bird, cat , bunny or a dog ? Any other pets, I don't like fish !

Other things to consider, now at least 1 person will be home 95% of the time but in future , once kids are bigger my wife may work full time, so 8-4 no one will be home, so pet may have to stay alone. Once, pandemic is over ever year we may go for 2-4 weeks vacation, outside of Canada !

So my question is that its better not to get any pets and try to console my kids by telling them the cons of it or buy a pet and deal with it !
26 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4517 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
Get them a virtual pet, there are lots of choices online.
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2017
598 posts
132 upvotes
ROYinTO wrote: Get them a virtual pet, there are lots of choices online.
Tried those , they have Cat, Dog, Dinosaur !
After work, I even tried to be there role play pet . OMG these kids were not gentle with their pet, so I quit !
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4517 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
MK1986 wrote: OMG these kids were not gentle with their pet, so I quit !
That should tell you something then.
Vet bills are expensive, accounting for inflation, you are probably looking at $80-100 per stitch. Double that for after hours and weekends.
Kittens & puppies will bite kids. Birds & bunnies can be caged. Bunnies eat wires. Rodents can be caged but are nocturnal so they will keep you up at night.
Looks like a bird is your best bet. You are more likely to find a person willing to look after a bird than a bunny when you are on vacation.
Alternatively, learn to like fish. A big tank is easier to keep and they can be calming.
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.
Sep 4, 2006
879 posts
533 upvotes
Ottawa
What will be an ideal pet to take care with not much of attention & work.
Strike one. All pets require attention and work.
8-4 no one will be home, so pet may have to stay alone.
Strike two...
Once, pandemic is over ever year we may go for 2-4 weeks vacation, outside of Canada !
And, you're out. Seriously, do not get a pet. Your kids aren't old enough to take care of one, and you and your wife are too busy. Also, they are expensive. Vet bills, prescriptions, training, food... it adds up, fast. Think of a pet is like having another kid. Ready for that?
[OP]
Apr 5, 2017
598 posts
132 upvotes
Thanks folks. I knew the answer but need some re-assurance, lol !
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1147 posts
520 upvotes
GTA
I think a Betta fish is great. Mine is literally like a dog... except you can’t pet it and do anything with it out of the water
May 21, 2015
879 posts
421 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
A hamster is a good pet for small children provided you make sure they handle it with care, meaning it isn't taken out of its cage unless either of you are present to supervise.
Sep 4, 2006
879 posts
533 upvotes
Ottawa
Beneful1 wrote: A hamster is a good pet for small children provided you make sure they handle it with care, meaning it isn't taken out of its cage unless either of you are present to supervise.
And, the side benefit is that they will get to learn how to deal with death much quicker than a dog or a cat. ;-)
May 21, 2015
879 posts
421 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Yes that's true but it isn't a negative. I grew up in the early 60's and we had all sorts of pets. Hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, aquarium, a rabbit, dog and cat, budgie, Not all at once but over the years from when I was a baby. It was sad when something died but that's life. One thing my parents were very firm about was that if we got a pet we had to look after it and there was NO WAY it was going to be sold or given away or whatever.. It had to live out it's live in our family.
jayoldschool wrote: And, the side benefit is that they will get to learn how to deal with death much quicker than a dog or a cat. ;-)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5756 posts
2533 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Teach 'em servitude. Get them employed by a cat.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2017
598 posts
132 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Teach 'em servitude. Get them employed by a cat.
Cats doesn't need much attention or care ? Sorry never had a cat in my life ! Any good breeds or type to consider ?
TIA
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5756 posts
2533 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
MK1986 wrote: Cats doesn't need much attention or care ? Sorry never had a cat in my life ! Any good breeds or type to consider ?
TIA
Depends on the cat. We have Ragdolls.

And the proper way to address the cat is with a deferential, "Mi'lord"/"Mi'lady"
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3409 posts
648 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Depends on the cat. We have Ragdolls.

And the proper way to address the cat is with a deferential, "Mi'lord"/"Mi'lady"
Agreed. Our cat was more of a dog than our dog was.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1905 posts
304 upvotes
Canada
MK1986 wrote: Cats doesn't need much attention or care ? Sorry never had a cat in my life ! Any good breeds or type to consider ?
TIA
be prepared for vet bills and nail trimmings
they also shed
lots of cats at shelters looking for good homes
they live long lives.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25354 posts
4473 upvotes
TIA
Cats don't need much attention. They're all Aholes. When they want attention, they'll demand it by walking on you. If they don't want attention, they won't let you touch them. Obviously they need fresh food and water daily, but they will also need their litter box cleaned out regularly (daily is best). So while you're at work, they can be left alone with no issues. If you go away for 2-4 weeks, you will need someone to come in daily to care for them.

Do NOT get a dog. A dog is not a pet for kids. A dog is a family pet that the parents look after, not the kids. They need training, tons of attention, walks, play time, etc. Dogs are a lot of work.
Jun 4, 2020
570 posts
481 upvotes
Clarington, ON
TIA
This is subjective. Growing up there was generally always a cat in the house. As someone alluded to "get them employed by a cat," and this is rather true. They do their thing. Our current fella fell out of the black lab tree. He follows my wife around the house and looks for belly rubs.
Jul 4, 2009
980 posts
143 upvotes
Mississauga area
After reading about your lifestyle, I don't think you should get a dog or a cat. I know some think that cats are easy, and they are in some ways, but tough in others.
My cats are very attached to me, and are worrying when I go on vacation. When the cats were about a year and a half old, I went away for a weekend and thought I could bring them over to a friends house so he can watch them. Well, they both hid the whole weekend and didn't eat. So after that incident, I never leave them at other people's houses, never mind the thought of kenneling them.

In the past, I have my uncle come live in my house when I go on vacation (never longer than 10 days), so that the cats (2 cats) and my dog would have someone there. When my dog passed away and it was just the cats, I went on vacation for a week and had my uncle come twice a day to feed them and hang out with the cats. They were stressed and after three days of my not being there, one of them refused to eat. So my uncle started staying over and slowly the one that went on a hunger strike started eating again.

If you must have a pet, I would think a guinea pig would be an idea. They are very sweet and docile. They aren't as nippy as hamsters. They're also larger and sturdier. When you go on vacation, you can ask a friend to pet sit by bringing them to your friend's house. Do make sure you get the largest cage possible and they do need to be exercised outside the cage daily.