Expired Hot Deals

[Petro Canada] CIBC Petro-Points MasterCard - Free 5,000 points for current card users via email offer (Targeted)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2017 8:22 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
6518 posts
1645 upvotes

[Petro Canada] CIBC Petro-Points MasterCard - Free 5,000 points for current card users via email offer (Targeted)

This deals is for current CIBC Petro-Point card holders:

I just received an email from Petro-Points detailing that they will be switching from CIBC to another bank (not named).

As a “thank you” bonus they are giving out 5,000 points, which is the equivalent of $5 gas / Petro Canda store savings. Not a great deal, but $5 is $5!
Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 9.47.00 AM.png
Last edited by mark_in_2k on Feb 28th, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
55 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2010
6704 posts
2100 upvotes
Mississauga
I got it today too although I don't have this Mastercard anymore,I switched to a different one a year ago.
Silence is the best answer to a fool
Feb 27, 2017
40 posts
22 upvotes
I got it too. Does anyone know what petro is switch from CIBC to?
Feb 27, 2017
40 posts
22 upvotes
I got it too. Does anyone know which bank petro is switch to from cibc?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2469 posts
2271 upvotes
Whitby
$5

What are fees on card???????????
Aug 14, 2009
396 posts
407 upvotes
BC
Anyone plan to switch when it's announced? Or is there better bang for one's buck, these days?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2003
5795 posts
1283 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP for the information. I have not received this email yet even though I'm a current card holder. Hopefully later today.
Jan 8, 2014
11 posts
2 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Does anyone know any details on their new credit card?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
4168 posts
2880 upvotes
trendless wrote: Anyone plan to switch when it's announced? Or is there better bang for one's buck, these days?
I only use this card for filling gas at Petro Canada and I only redeem the points to reload my 10 Cent Fuel Savings Card. Assuming that the only thing that changes is the bank associated with the card, I will keep it. I was initially under the impression though that the card was being scrapped, but I guess that's not the case.
Aug 14, 2009
396 posts
407 upvotes
BC
johnnyblayze wrote: I only use this card for filling gas at Petro Canada and I only redeem the points to reload my 10 Cent Fuel Savings Card. Assuming that the only thing that changes is the bank associated with the card, I will keep it. I was initially under the impression though that the card was being scrapped, but I guess that's not the case.
Exactly how I use it and exactly what I thought, too. But now I'm curious if there's a better return for fuel purchases via any other type of card/reward, especially given the effort required to jump ship to another bank.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4885 posts
2235 upvotes
Markham
How's this a hot deal considering you have to have this card and you get it by default if you do have this card.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
4168 posts
2880 upvotes
trendless wrote: Exactly how I use it and exactly what I thought, too. But now I'm curious if there's a better return for fuel purchases via any other type of card/reward, especially given the effort required to jump ship to another bank.
If you fill gas exclusively at Petro Canada then this card makes sense to have, especially when combined with the 10c Fuel Savings Card, so you get 12 cents off per litre. If you waste your points on useless crap like Gatorade or coffee then it's probably not that great.

The majority of gas stations have the same prices (at least in my area) and so staying loyal to Petro Canada makes sense to me and gives me full benefit of using this card.
Feb 16, 2017
127 posts
37 upvotes
Scarborough, Canada
i did not receive this email. Anyone else got this email?
Eat and sleep
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14739 posts
5810 upvotes
Gatineau
The current CIBC PEtro Points Mastercard isn't that hot.

You save 2c / litre on Petro Canada Gas. With Gas prices at roughly $1/litre, that is a 2% savings that is strictly on Petro Gas only.

There are better credit cards out there (example: Tangerine Moneyback Mastercard) that will give you 2% cashback (if you select Gas as one of your 3 categories) at any Gas station and on any Gas station purchase.

So unless the new Petro Points credit card issuer plans to offer better benefits, I see no reason why one would restrict themselves to a 2c/litre savings at Petro Canada gas only.

djino
Jul 20, 2009
843 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
djino wrote: The current CIBC PEtro Points Mastercard isn't that hot.

You save 2c / litre on Petro Canada Gas. With Gas prices at roughly $1/litre, that is a 2% savings that is strictly on Petro Gas only.

There are better credit cards out there (example: Tangerine Moneyback Mastercard) that will give you 2% cashback (if you select Gas as one of your 3 categories) at any Gas station and on any Gas station purchase.

So unless the new Petro Points credit card issuer plans to offer better benefits, I see no reason why one would restrict themselves to a 2c/litre savings at Petro Canada gas only.

djino
I know you can get an extra multiplier if you link HBC. I signed up for the HBC rewards online in 2 mins and linked to Petro and it gave me a nice multiplier.
20% more Hudson’s Bay Rewards points at Hudson’s Bay, Home Outfitters and online at thebay.com
20% more Petro-Points at Petro-Canada

Points are now worth more too. 1000 points = 1$ which is pretty good so you can get a couple free fill ups a year.

And to the person who asked how this is hot, is because it is not automatic. You need to click the link to activate the offer. Basically a free 5$ worth of gas
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14739 posts
5810 upvotes
Gatineau
P0rkchop wrote: You get a multiplier on your Petro Points for having CIBC I think?
I could be mistaken, but I believe you only get 50% more petro points on purchases inside Petro Canada.

And CAA multiplier only works for those in Ontario and BC.

djino
Mar 23, 2004
43232 posts
9170 upvotes
Markham
mark_in_2k wrote: This deals is for current CIBC Petro-Point card holders:

I just received an email from Petro-Points detailing that they will be switching from CIBC to another bank (not named).

As a “thank you” bonus they are giving out 5,000 points, which is the equivalent of $5 gas / Petro Canda store savings. Not a great deal, but $5 is $5!

Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 9.47.00 AM.png
Would you be able to post a screenshot of the email? Doesnt look like the attachment worked. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
4168 posts
2880 upvotes
djino wrote: The current CIBC PEtro Points Mastercard isn't that hot.

djino
I believe it works out better in the scenario I outlined where you exclusively fill gas at Petro Canada, collect Petro Points, and use your accumulated points exclusively towards the fuel savings rewards. I agree that it doesn't make sense to use this credit card for other purchases when there are better options out there (such as the PC Financial MasterCard).
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14739 posts
5810 upvotes
Gatineau
johnnyblayze wrote: I believe it works out better in the scenario I outlined where you exclusively fill gas at Petro Canada, collect Petro Points, and use your accumulated points exclusively towards the fuel savings rewards. I agree that it doesn't make sense to use this credit card for other purchases when there are better options out there (such as the PC Financial MasterCard).
Note that one can still collect petro canada points without the CIBC card. So you would need to compare using a non-CIBC Petro Points Mastercard (such as the 2% Tangerine Card, the 4% Scotia Amex/Visa cards, etc.) in addition to the loyalty points card for that particular gas station (including Petro Canada) vs Strictly using the CIBC Petro Points Mastercard for saving 2c/litre plus the 50% bonus petro points... I think you'd come to see that the CIBC Petro Points Mastercard offers less value in almost all cases.

And your savings on the Petro Points Mastercard get less and less as Gas prices shoot higher and higher.

djino
Last edited by djino on Feb 28th, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.