• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2022 10:58 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2217 posts
1783 upvotes

[Petro Canada] Free EV Charging with an eligible RBC Credit Card

I stumbled across this link. Looks like there is free EV charging until Apr 2022 if you charge your vehicle on one of their fast EV chargers. You have to use an eligible RBC card. Go into your rewards and load the offer if its there. I saw it on mine and added it. These are DC fast chargers so its at 480V I believe (level 3). Great if you plan to take a trip coast to coast. You would get a statement credit equal to the EV cost. $0.33 per min after the free period
85 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2012
1004 posts
865 upvotes
Ottawa
Cool, now if I could only afford an EV.....Great for anyone that owns one though!
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10293 posts
3473 upvotes
Spotted in north Vancouver

Tesla users need a CHAdeMO adapter
Images
  • 5E9D757D-7E09-49AD-8611-69D437D2B015.jpeg
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1039 posts
159 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario
[quote="benzylique" post_id=34843242 time=1628725852 user_id=542027]Cool, now if I could only afford an EV.....Great for anyone that owns one though![/quote]

Our Leaf was not that much more than an equivalent ICE car, and paid for itself in about 18 months when we factored in the gas we saved not driving our F150.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2217 posts
1783 upvotes
Shaynelle wrote: Our Leaf was not that much more than an equivalent ICE car, and paid for itself in about 18 months when we factored in the gas we saved not driving our F150.
Leaf is a nice car. Keep in mind more EVs to hit the market next year so prices are expected to drop. Also the fuel savings is a big savings on top so it does pay itself off
Jul 3, 2021
121 posts
83 upvotes
Shaynelle wrote: Our Leaf was not that much more than an equivalent ICE car, and paid for itself in about 18 months when we factored in the gas we saved not driving our F150.
Maybe not much more but for anyone financing it’s still $850-1k+ a month, they need to bring down the costs of EVs or offer better rebates if the government is going to continue with its plans
May 27, 2008
532 posts
481 upvotes
sks8100 wrote: I stumbled across this link. Looks like there is free EV charging until Apr 2022 if you charge your vehicle on one of their fast EV chargers. You have to use an eligible RBC card. Go into your rewards and load the offer if its there. I saw it on mine and added it. These are DC fast chargers so its at 480V I believe (level 3). Great if you plan to take a trip coast to coast. You would get a statement credit equal to the EV cost. $0.33 per min after the free period
Deal's couple months old pal...

Most of their EV charging are often broke...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2217 posts
1783 upvotes
martlgore wrote: Deal's couple months old pal...

Most of their EV charging are often broke...
Yeah I just saw it now. Didn’t realize it was posted before. I never bothered to look out for it since I didn’t own an EV a few months back
Jun 10, 2003
759 posts
170 upvotes
Halifax
Really gotta get going on this. Road tripping with my 24kWh Leaf was such a PITA so I never bothered but I just got a Kona electric yesterday and now I can properly take advantage of this.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2004
2088 posts
501 upvotes
Mississauga
Petro charging stations are a shit show. Cannot be relied upon. Numerous locations on the 400 are not working at times where I needed a charge. Now I avoid them until their get act together.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2217 posts
1783 upvotes
guessguy wrote: Petro charging stations are a shit show. Cannot be relied upon. Numerous locations on the 400 are not working at times where I needed a charge. Now I avoid them until their get act together.
You mean they are just not operational or take a lot of time to charge properly? This is good info to know
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1533 posts
475 upvotes
Richmond Hill
instanoodles wrote: Really gotta get going on this. Road tripping with my 24kWh Leaf was such a PITA so I never bothered but I just got a Kona electric yesterday and now I can properly take advantage of this.
I am in Ont, anything trip over 200km one way will require me to plan for DCFC. And it is still pretty rare outside of major cities.
Sep 13, 2015
522 posts
417 upvotes
EV drivers help me! Haha I recently moved out of the GTA, thank you crazy market for the 85km one way commute Persevering Face.

We are looking for EV’s after watching countless YouTube I’m still back at square one haha!

Soul, Kona, Bolt?!?
Glory Glory Man United
Sep 13, 2015
522 posts
417 upvotes
Rfdinyyc wrote: Maybe not much more but for anyone financing it’s still $850-1k+ a month, they need to bring down the costs of EVs or offer better rebates if the government is going to continue with its plans
For how long? We’re in the market and even with O down we’re not seeing anything over $700/72 months

Minus the higher end models. Was even looking at the Mach E which was near $800 and change but the no heat pump is a no for us.
Glory Glory Man United
Jul 3, 2021
121 posts
83 upvotes
nexuscardguy wrote: For how long? We’re in the market and even with O down we’re not seeing anything over $700/72 months

Minus the higher end models. Was even looking at the Mach E which was near $800 and change but the no heat pump is a no for us.
I typically look at a 5 year loan. Anything beyond that you need additional warranty typically

I priced out a RAV4 prime yesterday and after taxes, and a few add-ons it came to 60k before dealer fees

I also looked at the ID4 which looks incredibly like the CRV, that was coming out to 55k+
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9500 posts
7886 upvotes
Kitchener
kr0zet wrote:
We'll see who shows up...
Glad you could make it!
nexuscardguy wrote: EV drivers help me! Haha I recently moved out of the GTA, thank you crazy market for the 85km one way commute Persevering Face.

We are looking for EV’s after watching countless YouTube I’m still back at square one haha!

Soul, Kona, Bolt?!?
My vote is for used '18+ LEAF SV or SL, Bolt EV or Volt (MAYBE an Ioniq?). If you're buying new, just get a base Model 3 SR+ with no options.
Last edited by Rob_EV on Aug 12th, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9145 upvotes
The NORTH
Rob_EV wrote: Glad you could make it!

My vote is for used '18+ LEAF SV or SL, Bolt EV or Volt. If you're buying new, just get a base Model 3 SR+ with no options.
Here we go...
Jan 2, 2013
10 posts
6 upvotes
LONDON
nexuscardguy wrote: EV drivers help me! Haha I recently moved out of the GTA, thank you crazy market for the 85km one way commute Persevering Face.

Soul, Kona, Bolt?!?
I have Kona 2019 and love it, currently one of the best in term of range and value. If you're buying new look out for for the IONIQ 5 coming this fall.

Just did a long trip from South Toronto Area > Montreal > Ottawa > Montreal > Ottawa and back with a few other places, over 2000km. Only charged at Petro (check reviews) and only cost $73 charging but got it all back with this deal.
Last edited by geekory on Aug 12th, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.