Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Petro Canada

Free EV Charging with an eligible RBC Credit Card

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2022 10:58 am
May 16, 2017
169 posts
76 upvotes
Oakville, ON
geekory wrote: I have Kona 2019 and love it, currently one of the best in term of range and value. If you're buying new look out for for the IONIQ 5 coming this fall.

Just did a long trip from South Toronto Area > Montreal > Ottawa > Montreal > Ottawa and back with a few other places, over 2000km. Only charged at Petro (check reviews) and only cost $73 charging but got it all back with this deal.
I am looking for EV as well.
How much should i be looking at to spend for my home charger?
Will the stove plug connection enough?
Aug 8, 2010
506 posts
583 upvotes
Why do I have a feeling that many years from now people will be saying "ughh charging prices are so high now, I remember when...."

Once gas vehicles are less popular, not sure the powers that be will be happy with missing out on all those gas tax $...
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
1873 posts
1204 upvotes
Montreal
777canadian wrote: I am looking for EV as well.
How much should i be looking at to spend for my home charger?
Will the stove plug connection enough?
Unless you happen to have a stove plug in your garage, you'll want to do things properly. I went for NEMA 15-40, make sure you avoid CCA wiring and the proper cable breaker amps etc. You can also just do hardwiring. My guess is that home charging will creep up and up, so it might be worth it to use bigger wire to be able to go 60~80A in the future. I believe a 240V 30A NEMA L6-30p plug is the most budget friendly and could avoid needing to have a bigger breaker panel.
May 16, 2017
169 posts
76 upvotes
Oakville, ON
n-ster wrote: Unless you happen to have a stove plug in your garage, you'll want to do things properly. I went for NEMA 15-40, make sure you avoid CCA wiring and the proper cable breaker amps etc. You can also just do hardwiring. My guess is that home charging will creep up and up, so it might be worth it to use bigger wire to be able to go 60~80A in the future. I believe a 240V 30A NEMA L6-30p plug is the most budget friendly and could avoid needing to have a bigger breaker panel.
I got a quote from electrician to pull gas stove plug to the garage for $1500 will that be enough to pull the enough amp and with the stove plug do i need to buy extra adaptor or something additionally.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
-KILO- wrote: Once gas vehicles are less popular, not sure the powers that be will be happy with missing out on all those gas tax $...
My guess is that they'll start taxing people by the kilometer and this information will need to be verified when you buy/renew your vehicle tags.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10592 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
Chademo at Petrocan near Victoria BC and the one in Langley worked fine for 2015 leaf

Charged around 3 percent a minute, around 30 to 40 kw

With the tiny battery it was kinda pointless though, only needed a small topup to get home
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2003
2098 posts
920 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
wondering how long it takes for the RBC credit to show up.

i have been charging at PetroCanada now for about a month.... wondering if I linked the two properly as none of the RBC charges have been credited yet...

think I will need to call again and ask. i called about 2 weeks ago and they asked me to wait.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2006
1641 posts
1140 upvotes
instanoodles wrote: Really gotta get going on this. Road tripping with my 24kWh Leaf was such a PITA so I never bothered but I just got a Kona electric yesterday and now I can properly take advantage of this.
How much is the Kona after rebates?
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10592 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
jshebib wrote: wondering how long it takes for the RBC credit to show up.

i have been charging at PetroCanada now for about a month.... wondering if I linked the two properly as none of the RBC charges have been credited yet...

think I will need to call again and ask. i called about 2 weeks ago and they asked me to wait.
It's supposed to post really fast. Did you get a newcard?

See attachment
Images
  • Screenshot_20210913-165107.png
Oct 31, 2018
412 posts
1018 upvotes
Free EV Charging sounds great
But I need to buy an EV first, lol
Lehmann L
Apr 19, 2018
4 posts
1 upvote
This is just keep reminding me the nightmare that I drove my 18 Leaf from Toronto to Ottawa. For Leaf owners, I am sure you know how I felt. no longer an EV owner for now… until later.
Jun 24, 2013
550 posts
751 upvotes
slow787 wrote: This is just keep reminding me the nightmare that I drove my 18 Leaf from Toronto to Ottawa. For Leaf owners, I am sure you know how I felt. no longer an EV owner for now… until later.
As a 3x Leaf owner I still debate whether Nissan was trying to kill EV's with the Leaf.

For the poster mentioning the Leaf for an 85 km commute - I wouldn't. You get about 200 km at highway speeds in the summer on a relatively new battery. In winter, and as the battery degrades, you won't be able to make the commute comfortably.

We took a 24 kWh and 30 kWh Leaf to Ottawa in 2017 - the fast charger furthest east from Toronto was along Highway 7 in Norwood (don't get me started on the Havelock KSI one...). We had to overnight in Kingston and stop in Brockville for a few hours to L2 back then. It was actually a fun adventure - we knew what we were getting into with that trip and got to see things we normally wouldn't see flying through places on the highway.

We did not give up on EV's - we have a Bolt and a Model Y SR. The longer range models (~400 km) serve all of our needs well. The charging situation has improved significantly over the years and our last "long" trip was to Cincinatti in the Bolt prior to COVID. It was an easy, quick trip with Electrify America - a huge upgrade over a previous trip to Columbus only 7 months earlier where EA wasn't set up yet. We were planning to head to South Carolina in the Bolt but COVID ended those plans.

As much as everyone loves free charging, free means unreliable. Equipment is over used, broken, chargers are occupied by people who don't really need them (charging to 100% on them, locals there for free electricity, etc.). I don't put them on any trip plans. Paid, by the minute and not kWh, keeps people honest and fair. You won't sit at a DCFC paying full rate by the minute if you're pulling 15 or 20 kW on a 50 or 150 kW charger and if you do, the profits will build more stations.
Jun 13, 2017
114 posts
453 upvotes
Vancouver
jshebib wrote: wondering how long it takes for the RBC credit to show up.

When you get your RBC credit card, you're supposed to link Petro Points and RBC together and then accept the RBC/Petro offer first. When you charge your EV, put the charges on your RBC card. Credits appear 2-3 business days.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2451 posts
873 upvotes
Shaynelle wrote: Our Leaf was not that much more than an equivalent ICE car, and paid for itself in about 18 months when we factored in the gas we saved not driving our F150.
Wow!!! You saved a minimum of $30000 (Leaf cost) for the 18 months you did not drive the F150! How many km are you driving a year?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2009
1338 posts
1205 upvotes
Calgary
54 posts, and no mention of which RBC cards are eligible, or where a link is to the eligible card list?
no sig
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10592 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
Any active card would have been eligible. RBC offer you just click load offer to card on the RBC offer site

I have it on Avion, Westjet, and Cathay Pacific because those were my active cards at the time of linking
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
nexuscardguy wrote: EV drivers help me! Haha I recently moved out of the GTA, thank you crazy market for the 85km one way commute Persevering Face.

We are looking for EV’s after watching countless YouTube I’m still back at square one haha!

Soul, Kona, Bolt?!?
I cant say enough about Tesla. My buddy bought a Kona, and then had to buy a charger for his house on top of it ($600-1000). The Tesla just needs a 14-50 plug. Model 3’s can be had pretty cheap.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
777canadian wrote: I got a quote from electrician to pull gas stove plug to the garage for $1500 will that be enough to pull the enough amp and with the stove plug do i need to buy extra adaptor or something additionally.
Stove plugs are usually 50 amps, and that is enough for most EVS as they are limited to 40/32amp, like the Kona. With my model Y, 32 amps gives me 47 km/h of charge which is lots. I ran a 60 amp breaker and could buy a charger that does 60/48 and increase my charge rate to 75 km/h but I usually charge overnight. I actually ran a 100 amp panel to the garage, just in case, as the Ford lightning is rumoured to be able to charge at 80 amps, but again not sure it’s necessary as I sleep all night and so long as it charges in 8 hours I’m good.

My experience with EVS so far is to buy the biggest battery you possibly can to make the experience as close to gas as you can. With 400+ kms of useable range, I need a rest after driving that much so charging isnt a chore.

Edit: When i say 400 kms for the Model Y, its rated at 540ish, but ideally you dont charge above 90% or go below 10%, so whatever the rated range you need to knock off 20%. That’s a real problem with these 200km range cars.
Dec 23, 2018
204 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
Rfdinyyc wrote: I typically look at a 5 year loan. Anything beyond that you need additional warranty typically

I priced out a RAV4 prime yesterday and after taxes, and a few add-ons it came to 60k before dealer fees

I also looked at the ID4 which looks incredibly like the CRV, that was coming out to 55k+
I have to ask, why are you not considering a Tesla Model 3 SR+? It was 56K (should 1-2K less now) after all taxes and Gov. rebate. And no maintenance what so ever, and I've driven from Toronto to Quebec City (2100KMs for a cost of 90$) and you can pretty much go anywhere in North America on one of those. And judging by what you're paying for RAV4 and CRV, isn't Tesla Model 3 a better option?
Oct 22, 2005
927 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
im excited for the release of the Hyundai ioniq5 was considering a Kona until I learned of the ioniq5 … should be on sale before years end… that is going to be my first EV.