Automotive

Locked: Petro Canada - Meadowvale and Sheppard - Getting charged for Premium fuel and filling regular

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2020 7:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13851 posts
2357 upvotes
Toronto

Petro Canada - Meadowvale and Sheppard - Getting charged for Premium fuel and filling regular

So I had an interesting issue today when I filled up with regular fuel and was charged for premium. I disputed this with the attendant and tried to press the regular grade and pump some fuel. This time it said it was regular.

I am positive I had selected regular grade as I don't have a need for premium on my 4 cyl camry. Has anyone ever experienced this? How do we know there is no funny business happening here?
Last edited by hightech on Jan 2nd, 2020 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Share:
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
31104 posts
16842 upvotes
Ottawa
Look at the pump display before you pull the trigger?
Sep 8, 2018
33 posts
35 upvotes
The fuel filler hose hit the premium button, Ive done it myself.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25753 posts
10800 upvotes
Toronto
Was it resolved at the station or do you have to escalate to PC head office?
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4247 posts
4737 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Stay alert when inserting your filler into any orifice(your 4cyl camry), and be sure to take another look before you start. Many make this mistake during the holiday season, and it's very costly...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13851 posts
2357 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: Was it resolved at the station or do you have to escalate to PC head office?
I asked to refuel and pressed the button and this time it registered regular. The pump attendant said that the Ultra 94 could have been pushed accidently. It costed me an extra $10 on a tank

Apr 27, 2019
375 posts
233 upvotes
Happened to me TWICE last year. After that, I was more careful. Has never happened again.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5183 posts
2637 upvotes
Toronto
Siphon it out and ask for a refund.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3719 posts
3080 upvotes
Oakville, ON
barrybeefburger wrote: The fuel filler hose hit the premium button, Ive done it myself.
This. Doesn’t take much of a tap from the hose as you move the nozzle to start filling.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13851 posts
2357 upvotes
Toronto
CanadianLurker wrote: This. Doesn’t take much of a tap from the hose as you move the nozzle to start filling.
I think this is what happened. Too bad I didn't notice this earlier until I put $50 bucks in the car.

My Camry may get more HP now :lol:

Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3719 posts
3080 upvotes
Oakville, ON
hightech wrote: I think this is what happened. Too bad I didn't notice this earlier until I put $50 bucks in the car.

My Camry may get more HP now :lol:
Plus a tad better fuel economy from lack of ethanol and you’ll get an extra few kms out of this tankful, so there’s that goin’ for ya too! lol
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12347 posts
7233 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Well at least your gas tank is getting cleaned out somewhat.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4476 posts
376 upvotes
Peterborough
CanadianLurker wrote: Plus a tad better fuel economy from lack of ethanol and you’ll get an extra few kms out of this tankful, so there’s that goin’ for ya too! lol
It will contain ethanol.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9826 posts
6255 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I always put the nozzle in after I pressed the grade button. Like others said, the hose likely tapped the button when you put the nozzle into the hole. Next time lift the nozzle only off the pump and select your grade before proceeding to inserting the nozzle, then you'll be sure your pumping what you want.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25620 posts
5892 upvotes
I think a worse situation is the other way around. In this case you can't do any harm to your engine, it just stings the wallet a little worse. In the opposite situation, if you don't notice (and quite frankly I'm not even sure I would!) you save some money but potentially introduce dangerous detonation for a turbo engine, particularly one that is tuned. Granted one tankful is probably not going to do long term damage, esp. if you don't rev out the engine all the time; but in any event just be glad it just cost you a few bucks and didn't instead do something somewhat harmful to the car.