Mar 15, 2008
2076 posts
675 upvotes
Very YMMV until they refill the gas.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1371 upvotes
When I was in Europe, their regular grade is 95, while their premium grade is 99. Mind you, their prices are higher than here.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Nov 1, 2016
9 posts
7 upvotes
Wikipedia : "Because of the 8 to 12 octane number difference between RON and MON noted above, the AKI shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 6 octane numbers lower than elsewhere in the world for the same fuel."
Jun 19, 2011
243 posts
67 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
Which one on Williams Pkwy?

Is it still on?
Aug 14, 2010
100 posts
54 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: When I was in Europe, their regular grade is 95, while their premium grade is 99. Mind you, their prices are higher than here.
Is actually equivalent to our 87 & 91, they just cause l calculate it differently
Jul 6, 2016
107 posts
83 upvotes
Keep in mind that the octane level of gas isn't important if you car requires 87. Putting in 94 in a toyota yaris won't do much different than what 87 will do.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9130 posts
7164 upvotes
Kitchener
Schen28 wrote: Keep in mind that the octane level of gas isn't important if you car requires 87. Putting in 94 in a toyota yaris won't do much different than what 87 will do.
Actually worse in many cases.
Mar 18, 2017
111 posts
253 upvotes
Too bad ALL grades of Petro Can gas contain ethanol. Esso and Shell premium doesn't. Ethanol produces less power than gasoline, so its sort of a filler to water down their gas. Its also corrosive to aluminum and many gaskets.
Jul 3, 2013
376 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
You sure Esso 93 is no ethanol? 94 petro is 94 because of the ethanol. To gain higher octanes ethanol is a way of boosting it. Of course no ethanol is the best and shell 91 is what I put if I can’t get 94.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8564 posts
3750 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
dukati wrote: You sure Esso 93 is no ethanol? 94 petro is 94 because of the ethanol. To gain higher octanes ethanol is a way of boosting it. Of course no ethanol is the best and shell 91 is what I put if I can’t get 94.
Esso 91 doesn't have it either.
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2013
1458 posts
519 upvotes
Mississauga
NumbNuts wrote: Too bad ALL grades of Petro Can gas contain ethanol. Esso and Shell premium doesn't. Ethanol produces less power than gasoline, so its sort of a filler to water down their gas. Its also corrosive to aluminum and many gaskets.
Very True,

It still surprises me to this day that our neighbours to the south can pay significantly less and not get a diluted version of fuel. Almost blows my mind to be honest.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9130 posts
7164 upvotes
Kitchener
It's best to use non-ethanol gas in a lawnmower or snowblower. I don't trust battery operated yard tools because you don't use them for 6 months at a time every year (it's not good for batteries to not use them).

As for vehicles, it's better to save a ton of money and have a better overall car by trading in the fossil fuel burning machine for a more reliable & more powerful EV. My car is more than 1/2 paid for in 3-1/2 years just in gasoline savings alone. My battery is down 3% from new, I lose about 1% health per year (25,000km per year). I went from paying for 10L/100km on my previous vehicle to paying the equivalent electricity cost of 1.5L/100km. The new car is a lot faster as well because I push it pretty hard without consequences to my wallet.
Nov 19, 2014
24 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
IntrepidRT wrote: It's best to use non-ethanol gas in a lawnmower or snowblower. I don't trust battery operated yard tools because you don't use them for 6 months at a time every year (it's not good for batteries to not use them).

As for vehicles, it's better to save a ton of money and have a better overall car by trading in the fossil fuel burning machine for a more reliable & more powerful EV. My car is more than 1/2 paid for in 3-1/2 years just in gasoline savings alone. My battery is down 3% from new, I lose about 1% health per year (25,000km per year). I went from paying for 10L/100km on my previous vehicle to paying the equivalent electricity cost of 1.5L/100km. The new car is a lot faster as well because I push it pretty hard without consequences to my wallet.
What car do you have? What kind of car is cheap enough that 3 yrs of gas can pay half of it and is considered "fast?". 25000km @ 1.10/litre is about $2700 a year in gas. $9450 in 3.5 years. What EV costs less than 20k and is fast? A chevy bolt is the slowest thing that i would consider fast and even that is a bit slower than a cheaper golf GTI. Unless you are paying 150k for a P100D you can find a faster gasoline car at a similar price point.

I guess if you had a 20 year old civic anything new would feel fast, but a 20 year old civic wouldnt use 10L/100km.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5372 posts
1112 upvotes
Toronto
Schen28 wrote: Keep in mind that the octane level of gas isn't important if you car requires 87. Putting in 94 in a toyota yaris won't do much different than what 87 will do.
True. For my Ford Focus 87 is required, but they recommend higher octane when the car is going through heavy duty conditions ie pulling a trailer

IntrepidRT wrote: Actually worse in many cases.
How?
Jul 2, 2008
454 posts
210 upvotes
Worse because the additives that dilute gasoline to increase the AntiKnock Index rating (“octane”) have less power per mL than gasoline.

Given an engine that can run 87 “octane”, a greater volume of 91 “octane” gas is required to achieve the same power output.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5869 posts
3532 upvotes
Toronto
jbpriede wrote: Worse because the additives that dilute gasoline to increase the AntiKnock Index rating (“octane”) have less power per mL than gasoline.

Given an engine that can run 87 “octane”, a greater volume of 91 “octane” gas is required to achieve the same power output.
Not true.

Given 87 and 91 with no ethanol, you’ll get more mileage (if that is what you mean by “power output”)with 91 but not enough to justify the price difference.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Jul 3, 2013
376 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
ToniCipriani wrote: Esso 91 doesn't have it either.
Yea but for 93. It's highly unlikely 93 will have no ethanol in it.

If anyone has any proof that'd be great.