[PetSmart] Fluval Flex 9 gallon aquarium- $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2020 12:42 am
[OP]
Dec 2, 2007
123 posts
255 upvotes

[PetSmart] Fluval Flex 9 gallon aquarium- $99.99

This is a great little desktop aquarium. 9 gallons, integrated filters, very quiet, and a decent LED light with remote control that is strong enough for a planted aquarium.
Thread Summary
Fluval Flex 9 gallon aquarium is available in-store and online (free-shipping) for $99.99 (original price $150).

Download the Petsmart app to play Treat Trails and get coupons ranging from 15% off to 25% off depending on your score. The coupon in the app can only be scanned in-store (not usable for online orders), and would make the tank $74.99 + tax.

Upload receipt to Fluval website after purchase (https://fluvalaquatics.com/ca/aquatic-ownership/#promo) to get $40 value promotional care pack shipped free to your house.
334 replies
Apr 16, 2011
659 posts
215 upvotes
Been researching starting my own small aquarium for the past month. I might grab this to be honest. Thanks for the post.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6509 posts
1452 upvotes
Toronto
Kafer wrote: This is a great little desktop aquarium. 9 gallons, integrated filters, very quiet, and a decent LED light with remote control that is strong enough for a planted aquarium.
It is just the tank or includes everything you see on the picture of the box?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8140 posts
2846 upvotes
Mississauga
While it is small (compared to conventional aquarium sizes for hobbyists), I wouldn't say it's desktop...in the sense that one would put it on their desk where they work and stuff. I think more of goldfish bowls are desktop. But some may have very large desks. I think these things have a footprint of about 14 or 15 inches almost square, if I'm not mistaken.

Nevertheless, good price for this setup. Nice find OP.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8140 posts
2846 upvotes
Mississauga
cgtlky wrote: It is just the tank or includes everything you see on the picture of the box?
It's a kit, so should come with everything including the remote for the lights and filter media. Also worth mentioning, the included LED light is suitable for mid- and low-light plants. Some of those other kits, the included LED light does not provide any beneficial lighting for plants.

I should add, these kits don't usually come with a heater, which you may or may not need depending on the type of fish you put in it.
May 23, 2008
791 posts
371 upvotes
Gtown ON
Very nice setup, and good price. I have one as my guppy tank and it's growing a lot of low light plants.
Nov 28, 2012
60 posts
72 upvotes
FYI, I think their app reset today (at least for me) so you can get a 25% coupon from their app game to make this $75.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2007
123 posts
255 upvotes
kenchau wrote: While it is small (compared to conventional aquarium sizes for hobbyists), I wouldn't say it's desktop...in the sense that one would put it on their desk where they work and stuff. I think more of goldfish bowls are desktop. But some may have very large desks. I think these things have a footprint of about 14 or 15 inches almost square, if I'm not mistaken.

Nevertheless, good price for this setup. Nice find OP.
I think it's called desktop since the pump, filter and light are all integrated within the tank, so all you see is glass and a lid. Probably better to call it tabletop rather than desktop.
Nov 15, 2014
40 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Nice find!

My concern is trying to find a table that will fit this. 9 US gallon of water is 75ibs.

Any thoughts?
Oct 10, 2016
156 posts
248 upvotes
Don't buy this as a first tank !!!!

I did that mistake. After a few month it wasn't enough so I bought a 33 gal... Then I started breeding some species, so I bought a 65 gal and another 33 gal... and then I started to look at salt water setup and finally pulled the trigger on a RedSea Reefer 525XL...

So dont get fooled. This 99$ aquarium might cost you several thousand.
Mar 28, 2019
75 posts
134 upvotes
Off topic, but I got a 40g breeder in the last sale. Even though the tank was cheap I can't seem to find a stand for a decent price. Is there maybe a good local shop or a good website to deal with, so far I've been out of luck.

So far I've been quoted $350-400 for a basic wooden Marineland stand
[OP]
Dec 2, 2007
123 posts
255 upvotes
Lowb4ller wrote: Don't buy this as a first tank !!!!

I did that mistake. After a few month it wasn't enough so I bought a 33 gal... Then I started breeding some species, so I bought a 65 gal and another 33 gal... and then I started to look at salt water setup and finally pulled the trigger on a RedSea Reefer 525XL...

So dont get fooled. This 99$ aquarium might cost you several thousand.
So true! I'm three weeks into my Flex 15 gallon and I'm ready for the 32 gallon already!