Expired Hot Deals

PetSmart

Fluval Flex 9 Gallon Aquarium Kit - $99.99 ($74.99 INSTORE with PetSmart App Treat Trail 25% off coupon)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2021 5:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1080 posts
1135 upvotes
49.2827°N 123.1207°W

[PetSmart] Fluval Flex 9 Gallon Aquarium Kit - $99.99 ($74.99 INSTORE with PetSmart App Treat Trail 25% off coupon)

Hi all,

Exact same deal as last summer (petsmart-fluval-flex-9-gallon-aquarium-99-99-2389657/), $99.99 for the fluval flex 9 gallon aquarium kit. Great for starters, this year PetSmart started carrying the White version as well. $74.99 INSTORE ONLY, if you have a 25% off coupon from the PetSmart App.

With the PetSmart app, you can get the 25% off coupon (on 1 item) when you beat all 3 levels of the "Treat Trail" game. The coupon CANNOT be redeemed online.

white: https://www.petsmart.ca/featured-shops/ ... 08106.html
black: https://www.petsmart.ca/featured-shops/ ... 64770.html

happy shopping!
90 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
4277 posts
4495 upvotes
Alberta
Won't ship and I don't qualify for same day delivery. Strange because I bought one and had it shipped last year

Edit: white will ship, black won't for some reason...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1080 posts
1135 upvotes
49.2827°N 123.1207°W
Lush78 wrote: Won't ship and I don't qualify for same day delivery. Strange because I bought one and had it shipped last year

Edit: white will ship, black won't for some reason...
interesting, maybe no stock nearby your location?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
4277 posts
4495 upvotes
Alberta
yau1225 wrote: interesting, maybe no stock nearby your location?
I've tried to purchase the black one a few times in the past year. Wouldn't ever give me a shipping option. First time trying the white, and even more confused that it will ship.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3182 posts
3550 upvotes
Bought thanks!

It will replace My Fluval Spec 2.6 Gal, which is cute but very limiting in terms of fish choices (Betta)

I actually bought this 1 year ago for that same price. Brought it home but lights were missing and had to return. They did not have any others left at the time

I was going to use the water from my 2.6 gal, because it's good water and I had a healthy Betta in it for over 2 years...........but then I remembered the little snail infestation that started a few months ago (damn rogue plants!) and thought otherwise. Is it possible to gradually add the water from the column without accidentally introducing these pests (like eggs and such?)...or is it highly unlikely? I'm actually thinking of switching to plastic plants due to these snails, plus there's less maintenance because I had to cut them at least once per week to keep things looking decent.
Last edited by thelasthunter on Jul 22nd, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Sale:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1080 posts
1135 upvotes
49.2827°N 123.1207°W
thelasthunter wrote: Is it possible to gradually add the water from the column without accidentally introducing these pests (like eggs and such?)...or is it highly unlikely? I'm actually thinking of switching to plastic plants due to these snails, plus there's less maintenance because I had to cut them at least once per week to keep things looking decent.
it will be difficult, snail eggs are sometimes so tiny that you may miss them and introduce them to your new tank. I would recommend cycling the new tank entirely on its on to be on the safe side.
PerformingAzura wrote: Can I farm shrimp in one of these?
sure, of course you can.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5272 posts
680 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote: Can I farm shrimp in one of these?
I had one of these long ago. Wouldn't recommend it. The dumbass things will get sucked into the filter intakes at the top and the bottom. Then they get stuck in the back because they're too dump to get out. They won't die but they'll be stuck in the filter media. The shrimpets will also get stuck. So you spend all your time trying to secure netting or fine sponge there to keep them out.

It's also a bitch to clean the back out. My hands aren't big but it is hard to get things in and out.

The pump is also rather loud for my liking. If you don't set it just right it'll vibrate the hell out of the tank.

Glass on tank also just feels thin.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4851 posts
2230 upvotes
GTA
Oni-kun wrote: I had one of these long ago. Wouldn't recommend it. The dumbass things will get sucked into the filter intakes at the top and the bottom. Then they get stuck in the back because they're too dump to get out. They won't die but they'll be stuck in the filter media. The shrimpets will also get stuck. So you spend all your time trying to secure netting or fine sponge there to keep them out.

It's also a bitch to clean the back out. My hands aren't big but it is hard to get things in and out.

The pump is also rather loud for my liking. If you don't set it just right it'll vibrate the hell out of the tank.

Glass on tank also just feels thin.
Yeah, I think the best shrimp tanks are just any random 10G or larger tank with a sponge filter. Keep it simple.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3182 posts
3550 upvotes
yau1225 wrote: it will be difficult, snail eggs are sometimes so tiny that you may miss them and introduce them to your new tank. I would recommend cycling the new tank entirely on its on to be on the safe side.

sure, of course you can.
Thanks. I will probably go that route. But what if I were to pass the water through some kind of sock filter, are snail eggs so tiny they that would still get through?
For Sale:
Jun 10, 2020
579 posts
558 upvotes
Dave98 wrote: Yeah, I think the best shrimp tanks are just any random 10G or larger tank with a sponge filter. Keep it simple.
I was big into shrimp in like, 2010-2013 .. Was breeding a tonne of orange (non-opaque) cherries that sold for good money (at the petstores at least) but never did much with it, and eventually they all died away... Shrimp can be a lot of work/like good water conditions.. Had funky orange rabbit snails too.. Now I live very far from decent aquarium/petstores.

Used to like those flower/bamboo shrimp too, but, GL getting them to breed. Some are brackish. I think Amanos are too.

I have like, the 1st version of this as well (ver 1/OG as opposed to the last couple)... Very simliar setup, I think it was less than 3 gals too, piss-poor LED lamp but heard they've improved. Was not bad.. My first tank. Had a couple cardinals in it (meh, wasn't great) then think I went danios. Would be neat for a work-tank, though a bit awkward on the maintenance, yeah.. but doable.

With your snails man.. I wouldn't transfer any gravel or anything from previous tank, or you'll get them in the new. Wouldn't risk the water either, sorry. Your new one will cycle fast enough, just use a decent conditioner (I used to use Seachem stuff almost exclusively - worked the best). We had a Big Als in Edmonton though (Costco of fish-stores) and a very decent exotic (freshwater with a little bit of salt) fish store... Miss them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1080 posts
1135 upvotes
49.2827°N 123.1207°W
Oni-kun wrote: It's also a bitch to clean the back out. My hands aren't big but it is hard to get things in and out.

agree with the slots in the back for the 9g, it's very tight.

However, disagree with the noise. These pumps are so quiet you shouldn't even hear them at all. I always see people bitch and complain about the noise, but 99% of the people are not setting them up properly.
Apr 20, 2015
192 posts
163 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I had shrimp in this. Never had a problem I just switch the sponge to where the two intake are on the left bottom and right and they were fine.
Apr 20, 2015
192 posts
163 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
DasHip wrote: I was big into shrimp in like, 2010-2013 .. Was breeding a tonne of orange (non-opaque) cherries that sold for good money (at the petstores at least) but never did much with it, and eventually they all died away... Shrimp can be a lot of work/like good water conditions.. Had funky orange rabbit snails too.. Now I live very far from decent aquarium/petstores.

Used to like those flower/bamboo shrimp too, but, GL getting them to breed. Some are brackish. I think Amanos are too.

I have like, the 1st version of this as well (ver 1/OG as opposed to the last couple)... Very simliar setup, I think it was less than 3 gals too, piss-poor LED lamp but heard they've improved. Was not bad.. My first tank. Had a couple cardinals in it (meh, wasn't great) then think I went danios. Would be neat for a work-tank, though a bit awkward on the maintenance, yeah.. but doable.

With your snails man.. I wouldn't transfer any gravel or anything from previous tank, or you'll get them in the new. Wouldn't risk the water either, sorry. Your new one will cycle fast enough, just use a decent conditioner (I used to use Seachem stuff almost exclusively - worked the best). We had a Big Als in Edmonton though (Costco of fish-stores) and a very decent exotic (freshwater with a little bit of salt) fish store... Miss them.
I have a ton of plants growing in mine. Switched from shrimp to some guppies. They grow amazing, no complaints at all with the lights.
Dec 30, 2018
170 posts
82 upvotes
EASTVAN
Awesome all-in-one tank but not for shrimp.

Had a bamboo + Amano somehow climb up the middle part above the sponge filter thing and died a few weeks ago

Good for fish all you need to buy extra is a heater and whatever substrate+ plants and your set.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1597 posts
998 upvotes
thelasthunter wrote: Bought thanks!
I'm actually thinking of switching to plastic plants due to these snails, plus there's less maintenance because I had to cut them at least once per week to keep things looking decent.
Use slow growing plants. You'll need more plants to fill out if you want immediate gratification, but slow growing plants don't require a lot of maintenance. If you do not use live plants, you probably need to do more maintenance to maintain water quality anyways...
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1597 posts
998 upvotes
VANSTERDAM60420 wrote: Awesome all-in-one tank but not for shrimp.

Had a bamboo + Amano somehow climb up the middle part above the sponge filter thing and died a few weeks ago

Good for fish all you need to buy extra is a heater and whatever substrate+ plants and your set.
You need to cut a strip of the "sponge" type material. Cut a slit into it so it sits on the glass and acts like a divider between the main tank and the "filter" tanks. It should sit on the glass and will touch the lid when closed so the shrimp doesn't get into the other tanks. It's a necessity for most fish that are able to jump also.
May 13, 2017
63 posts
88 upvotes
Chateauguay
This an awesome aquarium not just for a first time fish keeper but also for "experts". You aren't stuck with disposable filter cartridges like on cheaper tanks. All the filter medias are washable and never have to be replaced. You can also add filter bio media as there's plenty of space in the back chambers, and also hide your heater in there while you're at it!

Again, great aquarium for kids, first time fish keeper, anyone!!
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1009 posts
371 upvotes
What kind of fish would thrive in this specific set?