• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2017 3:05 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU

Petsmart Simply Nourish dog food

Is anyone feeding Petsmart simply nourish?

My gf gets pretty pissed at the fact that we have to spend $100 every 6 weeks on a large bag of orijen and has been on me about switching to simply nourish because her coworker feeds that (and I guess her dog is still alive, so, that's something). I've been scouring the internet trying to find out where they source their ingredients from and I can't find anything. Although a few people have reported that they've been told that the food is manufactured in the USA with ingredients sourced from China. Also I've read of multiple complaints of larvae infested bags being sold (gross af). The food is about 45% of the cost of Orijen so my reasoning is that there must be a reason it's so inexpensive.

So, I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone have experience (good or bad) feeding simply nourish?
2. Has anyone successfully confirmed the origin of this brands ingredients?

Honestly, its a PITA having to pay $100 for a bag of orijen (and these prices will be going up very shortly) but at least I can confirm that the orijen is made using locally sourced, high quality ingredients. I'd pay double the price if I had to for the peace of mind in knowing that I'm feeding my dog a high quality food.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
18 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
I feed the wet version of Simply Nourish, I rotate it with other various brands (BLUE Wilderness, Weruva, Wild Calling, Natural Balance Wild Pursuit, Wellness, Organix, First Mate, Zignature...) and also feed some Origen kibble. Dog likes it and haven't had any issues. Of course if there ever is an issue you're much more likely to read about it online. People like to complain.

I believe variety is important especially if there's ever some kind of recall, which can happen to any company. I don't know where everything in it is sourced but I would say with most companies at least some ingredients are going to be coming from China -- even in human food. If where the ingredients are coming from is super important to you then stick with Origen, it is the best if you can afford it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I trust Orijen. Don't know about the other brand. We buy the "oven baked tradition" another Canadian brand. I like knowing where the ingredients come from, and the fact that there is no crap in my dogs' food (I love my boys and want them around as long as possible). But, it is also expensive. How big of a bag of Orijen does $100 get you?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Chickinvic wrote: I trust Orijen. Don't know about the other brand. We buy the "oven baked tradition" another Canadian brand. I like knowing where the ingredients come from, and the fact that there is no crap in my dogs' food (I love my boys and want them around as long as possible). But, it is also expensive. How big of a bag of Orijen does $100 get you?
28.6lbs (15kg) is $84 plus tax but price hikes are imminent. Orijen is expensive but compared to other brands at global pet foods it's basically a mid tier price range.
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Aug 21, 2014
662 posts
360 upvotes
What about Acana? It is cheaper than Orijen from what I have gathered.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
nasa25 wrote: 28.6lbs (15kg) is $84 plus tax but price hikes are imminent. Orijen is expensive but compared to other brands at global pet foods it's basically a mid tier price range.
Origen isn't as pricy as the one we buy then (also from Global). I think there are worse things to spend your money on. You can feel good about this one.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Chickinvic wrote: Origen isn't as pricy as the one we buy then (also from Global). I think there are worse things to spend your money on. You can feel good about this one.
Yeah I'm definitely not feeling guilty about giving my guy high quality food. He just loves the orijen so I figure 'if it ain't broke why fix it'. I just wanted some feedback on the simply nourish probably so I could give my gf reasons why we shouldn't get it lol.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
My dogs have never tried the Orijen food, but they LOVE the Orijen dog treats. It is like crack for them.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
nasa25 wrote: Yeah I'm definitely not feeling guilty about giving my guy high quality food. He just loves the orijen so I figure 'if it ain't broke why fix it'. I just wanted some feedback on the simply nourish probably so I could give my gf reasons why we shouldn't get it lol.

What concerns me about Simply Nourish is the wide range of ratings it gets for different formulas on dogfoodadvisor. 2.5 to 4 stars? And there are quite a few comments about finding maggots. Buy the best food you can afford. And consider that a cheaper dog food will likely mean feeding more. Which negates the argument your gf has about Orijen.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
woadito wrote: Have you looked into raw feeding?
Not really. I might though. My guy loves Orijen so I'm going to take the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' mentality. Not worth changing the food that he loves to save a few quid.
Oct 25, 2012
21 posts
6 upvotes
I took a look around some local specialty pet food stores and was surprised to see that quite a few brands are made in Canada. Canadian Naturals and Pulsar are more economically priced than Orijen, but they contain less animal protein. I recently bought a bag of Horizon Legacy (same company makes the Pulsar), which was around 85 bucks for a 25 lb bag. This brand has high levels of animal protein, and mostly locally sourced ingredients, but is not widely carried in stores. Prior to this, I tried the Only Natural Brand that's available in Petsmart. Their Powerfood (e.g. Red Meat Feast) series is a very good value as it is dehydrated and has 5 stars on Dog Food Advisor.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2716 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think the Only Natural powerfood is dehydrated, it is 5 star rated though but it's American so it's expensive. I like the Nutrience Sub Zero Canadian dog food at Petsmart better since its sprinkled with raw food nuggets.

Only Natural does make a dehydrated dog food (rated 3.5 stars ) that doesn't look that great compared to some of the Canadian dehydrated brands we have here like Amore, Smack that don't need added vitamins. A 4 star Canadian dehydrated food that does need to include vitamins is the CaniSource Grand Cru and I would guess its cheaper than the Only Natural.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1607 posts
1431 upvotes
Richmond Hill
$100 for 6 weeks is about $2.12 a day for your dog for food which is very reasonable.
Try Acana, I believe they are the same manufacturer and I think Global Pet Food sells them for $75 for a 13-15kg bag and after 10 bags, you get a bag free.
My beagle and yorkie are on Acana but I get my food significantly cheaper from the vet because I work there :)
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Didi_beee wrote: $100 for 6 weeks is about $2.12 a day for your dog for food which is very reasonable.
Try Acana, I believe they are the same manufacturer and I think Global Pet Food sells them for $75 for a 13-15kg bag and after 10 bags, you get a bag free.
My beagle and yorkie are on Acana but I get my food significantly cheaper from the vet because I work there :)
Yes Acana is about $10 per bag cheaper than Orijen (both made by champion pet foods). Global has buy 12 bags get one free. Pet culture used to have buy 10 get one free and promos on all food from time to time. I miss that place.

My company actually does quite a bit of work for champion. Maybe I can get a vendor discount lol.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1221 posts
1347 upvotes
Calgary
Anyone else feeding Costco's Kirkland Signature Nature Domain Salmon Meal/Sweet Potato?

I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed much online. Particularly in Canada where dog food prices are often double what they are in the US, this seems to be the best value going at $45 for 35lbs.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
OKSpring wrote: Anyone else feeding Costco's Kirkland Signature Nature Domain Salmon Meal/Sweet Potato?

I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed much online. Particularly in Canada where dog food prices are often double what they are in the US, this seems to be the best value going at $45 for 35lbs.
I'd like to consider kirkland but I'm not sure how they stack up against the other brands, quality wise. Any advice? Any issues with feeding the kirkland?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1221 posts
1347 upvotes
Calgary
nasa25 wrote: I'd like to consider kirkland but I'm not sure how they stack up against the other brands, quality wise. Any advice? Any issues with feeding the kirkland?
We adopted an adult Rottie mix and been feeding her the salmon/sweet potato for almost 6 months, not positive what she was on prior to the shelter (they fed some grain-based Hill's Science stuff). Hasn't had any health issues to speak of, but did have a fairly dull colored coat and dry/dandruff skin. With brushing and natural conditioners her skin and coat is really soft and shiny now.

She has great energy now, but hard to attribute this to food given she was quite overweight and feeding/diet/exercise history is unknown.
Also a super picky eater oddly, doesn't like a lot of treats, etc. so we were happy she liked the Kirkland food (Costco's return policy is great if we had to return it..but prefer not to exploit it either).

It's reviewed on Dog Food Advisor and given a 3.5, so mid-tier by their rankings. I was surprised it's not higher, the company who makes it (Diamond Pet Foods) also makes Taste of the Wild which is really highly rated. Comparing the ingredients list they're very, very similar.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
OKSpring wrote: We adopted an adult Rottie mix and been feeding her the salmon/sweet potato for almost 6 months, not positive what she was on prior to the shelter (they fed some grain-based Hill's Science stuff). Hasn't had any health issues to speak of, but did have a fairly dull colored coat and dry/dandruff skin. With brushing and natural conditioners her skin and coat is really soft and shiny now.

She has great energy now, but hard to attribute this to food given she was quite overweight and feeding/diet/exercise history is unknown.
Also a super picky eater oddly, doesn't like a lot of treats, etc. so we were happy she liked the Kirkland food (Costco's return policy is great if we had to return it..but prefer not to exploit it either).

It's reviewed on Dog Food Advisor and given a 3.5, so mid-tier by their rankings. I was surprised it's not higher, the company who makes it (Diamond Pet Foods) also makes Taste of the Wild which is really highly rated. Comparing the ingredients list they're very, very similar.
Thank you for adopting and giving your girl a great home.

Also thanks for the feedback on the food. I'll look into it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)