Home & Garden

Pex Crimper Tool - Are they all basically the same?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2016 8:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4906 posts
1512 upvotes

Pex Crimper Tool - Are they all basically the same?

I need to do some replacement of some 1/2" copper lines in my laundry room. The existing copper lines are pretty tight to my foundation, and I'll be replacing it all with Pex to make some room for 2" rigid board insulation.

I don't have the money for an expansion tool for this job (they're about $300+) so it's either sharkbite or crimps

The sharkbite fittings looks like a great solution, but really add up in cost quickly.

Which brings me to a crimp solution. Most crimping tools are in the $100 range. Are most the brands all basically the same?
Let's hug it out
8 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10236 posts
2836 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If space's tight, get a cinch clamp, runs you 30$ too lol
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5010 posts
1390 upvotes
Kitchener
The expansion tool can de rented
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10403 upvotes
Ottawa
It seems to me that to do it right, you need the proper tool, especially a water line behind walls. Not all pex is the same and manufacturers have specific tools for their product. Personally, I would not trust generic tools for this.
Why not use copper again? Age old and proven effective.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4284 posts
1558 upvotes
WFH
Daijoubu wrote: If space's tight, get a cinch clamp, runs you 30$ too lol
Agreed, for small scale work I'd recommend this system. It is fast, easy, reliable, less prone to installation error, low cost, and every bit as secure as the compression rings. Now, if you're planning on installing 1000's per year the compression rings work out a lot less expensive which is likely why they're the most common option.

If there are any concerns about reliability of the cinch rings bear in mind that they've been used in the automotive industry for years providing service in much harsher environments.
Apr 30, 2004
271 posts
76 upvotes
Crimp tool are often on sale at CT , HD- for $60.
Important to buy quality fittings, like Watts from Rona or CT.
Clinch tool is cheaper, but I use crimper.
For expansion tool- that for special PEX tubing, not sold at HD, etc., not so important for you probably...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4906 posts
1512 upvotes
Ended up going with the cinch system from HD for $50.

Zero experience with pex, and didn't want to "risk" or practice with more difficult to use crimps.

The cinch system seems almost idiot proof.
Let's hug it out