Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2003
1785 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto

PEX vs Copper Plumbing

Hi Folks,

First Question:
I am looking to remodel my laundry room and noticed that the previous owner had used PEX plumbing for the laundry vanity sink. I am looking to change out the old sink and put in a new one that will require me to re-run the lines... just wondering what are your guys' thoughts on whether to keep the PEX plumbing or should I switch it back over to Copper? I read they are more durable than copper, but am not convinced...

Second Question:
My laundry room used to be on the main floor (which I am turning it into a mudroom) but was moved to the basement for more space. The existing water valves that was for the laundry is actually situated at the corner of my walls... I tried searching for some sort of a box to cover (at least it will conceal it and make the space look neater) it but can't seem to find one that is meant for my situation. Any thoughts?
mudroom valves.JPG
Cheers!
MechanicalMan64
9 replies
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
491 upvotes
Rockwood
The topic of PEX VS Copper has been covered many times on the forum, save yourself some time and do a search.

There are people on both sides of the fence, as a plumber I think copper is superior in almost every way. With that said I wouldn't be ripping out what's there to install copper unless you have to anyway then go copper.

For your second question you can take the hose bib off and just cap the lines in the wall or as close to the wall as possible. I haven't seen anything specifically made for this but you can fashion a cover box out of MDF if you didn't want to go the other route.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19655 posts
23013 upvotes
GTA
For Q2, you could just put a small floor to ceiling shelf in front/over it and cover it up with items on the shelf.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2003
1785 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
Agreed. My second option would be to cut open the drywall and then put a sharkbite end stop to the PEX, then drywall it back.
None12 wrote: The topic of PEX VS Copper has been covered many times on the forum, save yourself some time and do a search.

There are people on both sides of the fence, as a plumber I think copper is superior in almost every way. With that said I wouldn't be ripping out what's there to install copper unless you have to anyway then go copper.

For your second question you can take the hose bib off and just cap the lines in the wall or as close to the wall as possible. I haven't seen anything specifically made for this but you can fashion a cover box out of MDF if you didn't want to go the other route.
MechanicalMan64
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4714 posts
4219 upvotes
Toronto
Open up the wall in the mudroom (old laundry room) and cap the supply lines properly inside the wall.

PEX is great, especially for the DIY crowd. Simple to work with, no soldering, what's not to like?

I replaced all the copper at my cottage with PEX. Love it. For the shutoff valves under the sink and for the toilet, I used the copper stubs that you can connect to PEX, so I don't have floppy shutoff valves like you seem to have. Those are some stanky laundry supply valves.

For your new laundry room do it up right with a recessed box to hold the supply valves and drain. And a floor drain / tile or other resistant flooring material. My laundry is on the 2nd floor with hardwood floors.

Washing machines leak - they ALL leak at some point. My brand new HE top-load GE washer spurts water out of the drum from time to time that makes it onto the floor. The wood under the washer is trash. I've got it sitting in a white plastic tray now, to catch these sorts of drips but if it were to totally go bonkers or a hose burst, I'd have a flooded 2nd floor.

So yeah, treat the floor of your laundry room like a wet room if you can. Membrane, drain, tile floor...
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1302 posts
742 upvotes
Oshawa
It’s definitely superior in price.
None12 wrote: The topic of PEX VS Copper has been covered many times on the forum, save yourself some time and do a search.

Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2697 posts
1967 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
OP - Cap off that waste line. Just in case there is no P-trap on that line to prevent gases from coming up.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7263 posts
2848 upvotes
GTA
OP, if the 2 supply lines are pex simply cap them with 99 cent pex test plugs....push that into the wall and mud. Often some play in pex lines, if not the lines are held right inside the drywall on a stud with a clamp/finishing nail that pops off easy.
Borrow a pex cutter and crimper from a buddy, give him the 2 valves and a six pack....or buy a crimper.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2003
1785 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks everyone for all your tips!!
MechanicalMan64
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
528 upvotes
What about one of those recessed wall boxes? That way the piping and valves are still there but out of the way. Drywall work involved, so easier to just leave them and put up a shelving like engineered said.
This link as an example. Look around, there are different versions of the box.
https://www.amazon.ca/Eastman-60245-Out ... QJ6N28DJAG