Cell Phones

Phablet (5.7"+) for $500 or less?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2018 9:06 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 23, 2005
21464 posts
155532 upvotes
GTA

Phablet (5.7"+) for $500 or less?

In the market for a new phone and looking for a phablet (5.7"+), preferably for $500 or less. Anyone have any recommendations on decent models? Battery life is paramount, and I don't see a whole lot out there anymore with batteries of 4000 mAh or higher.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1650 posts
833 upvotes
Xiaomi Mi Max 2 phone has 5300mAh. 6.4" screen.
Or can wait since Max 3 is just around the corner supporting a 6.99" screen with same 5300mAh.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 23, 2005
21464 posts
155532 upvotes
GTA
jay-em wrote: Xiaomi Mi Max 2 phone has 5300mAh. 6.4" screen.
Or can wait since Max 3 is just around the corner supporting a 6.99" screen with same 5300mAh.
LOL forgot to mention, I have an original Max now and it's just over a year old. Unfortunately I've been soured on that brand. I don't know if it's the latest MIUI 9.2.1.0 update that I updated to about a week ago, or a combination of that and battery degradation, but the battery drains extremely quickly, and this is with hardly using the phone. It does not even last the workday. Worse, it will randomly turn off, even when there is plenty of juice. I did some research and some other people did report a quick-draining battery with the update. Hopefully a patch will come out that will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath and even if it does come out, who knows how long that will take. In the meantime, I'm left with what is essentially an unusable phone. I'm at a point where I'm contemplating doing a factory reset to see if that resolves the issue and/or purchasing something else if it doesn't.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1862 posts
588 upvotes
Lenovo Phab 2 is 6.4" , decent battery 4050 mAh, and not too demanding resolution 1280x720 (still good for the eye).
Battery life is like one week "screen off".

In Canada, it is available e.g from Staples, currently for CAD$230:

https://www.staples.ca/en/Lenovo-Phab-2 ... CA_1_20001

I got it some time ago for curiosity from B&H in the States, for like $100 on sale, but it is not available there anymore.

Overall, surprisingly good phone for the price. Has something called Augmented Reality ( dunno whats it, not interested) :)
Junkies of cellphone performance will frown for sure at tis phone, but I'm undemanding so it looks good to me overall :)
Even can be bootloader unlocked/rooted via xda-devs .
For now it is still laying on the shelf, but I think I'll put it to a good use soon.

P.S. there are few more expensive flavours of Phab of better quality if you re willing to spend more.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
633 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Tichi wrote: Lenovo Phab 2 is 6.4" , decent battery 4050 mAh, and not too demanding resolution 1280x720 (still good for the eye).
Battery life is like one week "screen off".

In Canada, it is available e.g from Staples, currently for CAD$230:

https://www.staples.ca/en/Lenovo-Phab-2 ... CA_1_20001

I got it some time ago for curiosity from B&H in the States, for like $100 on sale, but it is not available there anymore.

Overall, surprisingly good phone for the price. Has something called Augmented Reality ( dunno whats it, not interested) :)
Junkies of cellphone performance will frown for sure at tis phone, but I'm undemanding so it looks good to me overall :)
Even can be bootloader unlocked/rooted via xda-devs .
Look good.
But there is a huge issue regarding if it has band 4 of LTE. The rest of the spec is good enough.
I did not have an issue while I was with tbytel prepaid data. But now I am with Fido LTE. That is really problematic with most mainland Chinese phone (Asus is not though)
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1862 posts
588 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: Look good.
But there is a huge issue regarding if it has band 4 of LTE. The rest of the spec is good enough.
I did not have an issue while I was with tbytel prepaid data. But now I am with Fido LTE. That is really problematic with most mainland Chinese phone (Asus is not though)
Phab 2 I refer to is a North American version, it has all the LTE bands one may wish for.

Another budget option for the OP:

is the Asus Zenfone 4 Max.

My daughter has it now, and she is very fond of it.. Battery lasts few days, which is important for student's hectic life!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
633 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Tichi wrote: Phab 2 I refer to is a North American version, it has all the LTE bands one may wish for.

Another budget option for the OP:

is the Asus Zenfone 4 Max.

My daughter has it now, and she is very fond of it.. Battery lasts few days, which is important for student's hectic life!
If you look at the Staples.ca site
It lists the gsm supports as : Other Bands Supported GSM: B2/3/5/8
Nothing else. That is alarming indeed for Canada networks of RBT
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1862 posts
588 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: If you look at the Staples.ca site
It lists the gsm supports as : Other Bands Supported GSM: B2/3/5/8
Nothing else. That is alarming indeed for Canada networks of RBT
Staples ppl are illiterate dumbasses.
From B&H web site Phab 2 supports all relevant NA bands (personally verified):

Communications
GSM 2G GSM, GPRS, EDGE: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
GSM 3G/3.5G UMTS, HSPA+: 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz
4G LTE LTE: 2, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17 Bands

No European LTE roaming, tho :(
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1650 posts
833 upvotes
toguy wrote: LOL forgot to mention, I have an original Max now and it's just over a year old. Unfortunately I've been soured on that brand. I don't know if it's the latest MIUI 9.2.1.0 update that I updated to about a week ago, or a combination of that and battery degradation, but the battery drains extremely quickly, and this is with hardly using the phone. It does not even last the workday. Worse, it will randomly turn off, even when there is plenty of juice. I did some research and some other people did report a quick-draining battery with the update. Hopefully a patch will come out that will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath and even if it does come out, who knows how long that will take. In the meantime, I'm left with what is essentially an unusable phone. I'm at a point where I'm contemplating doing a factory reset to see if that resolves the issue and/or purchasing something else if it doesn't.
I didn't know you have the original Mi Max, currently using Mi Max 2 myself.
It's unfortunate you're having issues with the battery life.
Hopefully a patch will come soon & fix your issue.
We're you having the issue before the update (9.2.1.0), maybe a factory reset & avoid the update until the issue is resolve.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1862 posts
588 upvotes
P.S. and in both cases it is the same model ZA1B0011US also referred to as PB2-650Y, NA model (double check on xda-devs if you wish :) )
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1531 posts
3903 upvotes
Pawtucket
If you don't mind slightly used, you may want to consider the Samsung A7 2017.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _2017.html

I picked up a 9+ condition used one from B&H and it was in mint condition with the original box and accessories. Battery life is excellent. Specs are mid range but I've not experienced any lag.
Best features of this phone are:
-IP68 Water resistant
-Front home screen fingerprint scanner
-Always on display
-dedicated 2nd sim slot separate from the mircoSD

Currently running Nougat but scheduled to get Oreo sometime in 2018. Had for a few weeks now and love it.

Top