Automotive

PHEV vs. gas models cost of ownership, too good to be true ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2022 7:07 pm
[OP]
Jan 14, 2022
1 posts
1 upvote

PHEV vs. gas models cost of ownership, too good to be true ?

Looking for some help,

3rd child is on the way so I am looking to replace my Kia Optima with a car that can fit 3 kids + their stuff.

I'm calculating 5-year cost of ownership for a couple of models and I can't believe what i'm getting. I took the Pacifica PHEV vs. Murano to crunch the numbers, but Rav4 Prime vs. gas-equivalent models give the same results.

Pacifica Hybrid:

MSRP + fees after tax: 69 130 $ - 8 000 $ (cash down) - 5 000 $ (federal incentive) - 8 000 $ (provincial incentive) = 48 130 $ financing at 2.99 % (HELOC) = 51 875 $ capital + interest after five years.

5 years fuel + electricity cost (CAA calculator) : 2 000 $
5 years maintenance (CAA calculator): 3 700 $

Total cost after 5 years: 58 575 $

Nissan Murano

MSRP + taxes + financing after 5 years: 39 000 $
5 years fuel cost (CAA calculator: 9 390 $
5 years maintenance (CAA calculator): 7 500 $

Total cost after 5 years: 55 985 $

Question #1

Fuels saving seems logic, since I could drive to work everyday within the electric range and we don't do a lot of long distance driving. Family members are all close.

But what about maintenance savings ? Do PHEV really cost half maintenance cost ?

Question #2

There is a US site called CarEdge.com that has a depreciation calculator. If I enter a brand new Murano at 36 500 $ (MSRP), the estimated resale value is 19 500 $

If I enter a brand new Pacifica at 60 000 $ MSRP, the estimated resale value is 29 000 $.

But if I enter the MSRP - 13 000 $ grants (47 000 $), the estimated resale value is 22 500 $.

Anyway you slice it, the Pacifica Hybrid is equal or cheaper than a Murano after 5 years, and it's a lot more spacious. What am I missing ? Too good to be true ?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
8294 posts
7189 upvotes
Q1. Pacifica has regen brakes so there will be less brake pad wear. But it still have all the fluids you would have in gas cars, so those maintenance intervals will be the same. You engine and transmission in theory will last longer since there are less miles on them as they are only on when battery is depleted and/or extra power needed and/or during maintenance cycle to burn some gas.

Q2. Hard to say. You are also comparing a 2 row AWD SUV to a 3 row FWD minivan. They are in different class. Residual is hard to calculate when government rebates are involved so you can't really compare the 2 either. Also current Murano has been around for 7 years on a platform that's 20 years old. And Nissan has been ditching me cheap over the years so resale never looked good in the 1st place.
Jun 2, 2007
438 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
Your estimate for the "cost" of the vehicle should be your total purchase price (incl. tax and incentives + interest above inflation) less the estimated resale value in five years.

Don't forget to factor insurance rates into this as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2996 posts
1536 upvotes
AB
jgoyette wrote:
Pacifica Hybrid:

MSRP + fees after tax: 69 130 $ - 8 000 $ (cash down) - 5 000 $ (federal incentive) - 8 000 $ (provincial incentive) = 48 130 $ financing at 2.99 % (HELOC) = 51 875 $ capital + interest after five years.

5 years fuel + electricity cost (CAA calculator) : 2 000 $
5 years maintenance (CAA calculator): 3 700 $

Total cost after 5 years: 58 575 $

Nissan Murano

MSRP + taxes + financing after 5 years: 39 000 $
5 years fuel cost (CAA calculator: 9 390 $
5 years maintenance (CAA calculator): 7 500 $

Total cost after 5 years: 55 985 $

Question #1

Fuels saving seems logic, since I could drive to work everyday within the electric range and we don't do a lot of long distance driving. Family members are all close.

But what about maintenance savings ? Do PHEV really cost half maintenance cost ?

Question #2

There is a US site called CarEdge.com that has a depreciation calculator. If I enter a brand new Murano at 36 500 $ (MSRP), the estimated resale value is 19 500 $

If I enter a brand new Pacifica at 60 000 $ MSRP, the estimated resale value is 29 000 $.

But if I enter the MSRP - 13 000 $ grants (47 000 $), the estimated resale value is 22 500 $.

Anyway you slice it, the Pacifica Hybrid is equal or cheaper than a Murano after 5 years, and it's a lot more spacious. What am I missing ? Too good to be true ?
It is too good to be true because you're comparing different cars. First big red flag is $7,500 maintenance cost on a Murano in first 5 years. Absolutely no way any new car will cost that much in maintenance in first 5 years. Not sure where they get something like that from. First 2-3 years will be oil changes and "inspections"

Second thing that CarEdge site obviously just takes % residual based on what price you put in. 60k to 29 is around 48% so is 47 to 22.5. This isn't how residuals work in the real world.

Best thing you can do to try and get a good estimate is compare a Pacifica PHEV to Pacifica gas and Rav4 prime to Rav 4 gas. At the end of the day, from experience, if you have 2 kids with 3rd on the way don't bother with Rav4 or Murano. You will be miserable. It's doable but why? Stick with a Minivan and it will be one less irritation in your life to deal with.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5377 posts
1242 upvotes
Montreal
With a third kid on the way, only minivans or 3-row SUVs should be considered here.

I’d go test drive both the Pacifica PHEV and the Sienna hybrid and which one I like the most. The latter will have the lowest ownership cost over the next 10 years not to mention the time saved from going to dealerships and garages.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31642 posts
12948 upvotes
jgoyette wrote: Question #1
No why would it? It still has a gasoline engine and every other part a car would have--tyres/wheels, brakes, suspension, doors, cabin air filters, fluids, etc. So where would the maintenance costs be lowered? Even if you do less miles actually on the engine, engine oil typically also has a time requirement (or at least recommendation) so you may be changing oil just as often. I mean perhaps there's a little savings, but it's not going to be anything huge. The $7500 in "maintenance costs" on the Murano seems insane to me though; I doubt it's anywhere near that high in 5 years. I mean unless part of "maintenance" on a Murano is rebuilding the engine and replacing the transmission in 5 years? LOL. Maybe they meant Murano for weekend track use or something? :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9575 posts
7213 upvotes
Kootenays
Take RAV4 Prime out of the calculations. 3rd child on the way might be in school before you can get one.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31642 posts
12948 upvotes
smacd wrote: Take RAV4 Prime out of the calculations. 3rd child on the way might be in school before you can get one.
Yeah and with 300hp and a near 200ft braking distance from 70MPH, in typical Toyblowta fashion, you don't want your family anywhere near that trashy garbage.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1718 posts
1744 upvotes
Did you subtract $8k (cash down) from Murano too?

The gas and maintenance numbers seem pretty low for Pacifica. If the Pacifica is at $60k MSRP, you will not get your provincial EV rebate of $8k. It needs to be under $60k MSRP.