• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2006 2:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
4172 posts
20 upvotes
Good price but if my BenQ DW1640 can't burn them, I guess there's not much point. Besides, even if it managed to burn it, I'm guessing there's no high hopes for the quality.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11503 posts
4632 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …
VIDEOHELP only lists two Philips DVD+R DL 2.4X, and CMC mediacode one as being very poor quality. I don't expect much more from the 8X discs if they're CMC.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
AllWheelDrift wrote:Good price but if my BenQ DW1640 can't burn them, I guess there's not much point. Besides, even if it managed to burn it, I'm guessing there's no high hopes for the quality.
Considering BenQ makes Philips drives, you'd THINK Philips media would work on them!!

However right now the best I can say is that my Pioneer DVR-111D burned it all the way through at 2.4x (remember this is 8x media!), but my LiteoN 1635S has managed to get an 8x burn on them! (although the disc may still fail, it's not 100% done burning yet).

More info to come!

Edit: My LiteON SHW-1635S burned it all the way through at 8x... the quality is readable but not that great. The Pioneer DVR-111D's burn quality even at 2.4x was not much better then the LiteON's.

On the whole, I do *NOT* recommend this meda. I think that Futureshop will get a lot of complaints and returns over these discs!
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
bug wrote:VIDEOHELP only lists two Philips DVD+R DL 2.4X, and CMC mediacode one as being very poor quality. I don't expect much more from the 8X discs if they're CMC.
I posted a listing for the 8x DVD+RDL on videohelp to help get it rolling. It should start up soon. I had planned to comment on all 4 of my burners' results, but I can only post 1 per day :(
DVD
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12950 posts
1388 upvotes
thanks for the update. i was ready to pull the trigger on these but after your comments, i will pass.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1853 posts
611 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:I posted a listing for the 8x DVD+RDL on videohelp to help get it rolling. It should start up soon. I had planned to comment on all 4 of my burners' results, but I can only post 1 per day :(
I saw your comments on
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?d ... CMAGD04%20

are these worst than the few spindles of Fuji's I bought last week? Otherwise I may return some of my fuji and try these on my LG burner who claims it can burn 10X on DL+R. I wonder if it can do 8X on my burner as 2.5X is a pain.

Can you return a partial used spindle to FS. Don't want 25 coasters.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Siefer999 wrote:thanks for the update. i was ready to pull the trigger on these but after your comments, i will pass.
Exactly why I made sure to pick my spindle up today! I wanted to get the info out on these discs as quick as possible... once I found out how unusual they are!

Best I can guess is that Futureshop cut a special deal with Philips... probably has something to do with the Philips CD-R 50pks they've been selling for a while. The purchase at futureshop probably used CD-Rs at a not so low price as a bargaining chip to gain access to a product that Philips would not normally have released. The long and the short of it is that this media is *NOT* market ready. At least Ritek's media USUALLY completes it's burns on most drives. This media doesn't burn at rated speed on most drives (looking around, LiteON might be the only one to have proper speed support!), and BenQ drives (BenQ and Philips are VERY close too!!) can't even complete a burn on this media! Furthermore, Philips only ever uses "Philips Certified" media in their own brand media products... but CMCMAGD04 has *NOT* been Philips Certified!! And the fact that you can't buy this media *ANYWHERE* else (we are almost NEVER the first to get a new product line) all makes this look like the product was rushed out well before it was ready, and Philips MUST have been aware. So this leads me to believe that Futureshop must have requested it specifically (8x DVD+RDL media), or just something special in general. Still, I think this is going to come back to bite Futureshop with all the returned spindles (I'll be returning mine when I'm done, as this media is clearly not working properly), and Philips reputation will also be hurt!!
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
jon604 wrote:I saw your comments on
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?d ... CMAGD04%20

are these worst than the few spindles of Fuji's I bought last week? Otherwise I may return some of my fuji and try these on my LG burner who claims it can burn 10X on DL+R. I wonder if it can do 8X on my burner as 2.5X is a pain.

Can you return a partial used spindle to FS. Don't want 25 coasters.
I'm going to go with yes (as in, it's worse)... but if the media doesn't work, then just return it and get something else.
DVD
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1853 posts
611 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:Exactly why I made sure to pick my spindle up today! I wanted to get the info out on these discs as quick as possible... once I found out how unusual they are!

Best I can guess is that Futureshop cut a special deal with Philips... probably has something to do with the Philips CD-R 50pks they've been selling for a while. The purchase at futureshop probably used CD-Rs at a not so low price as a bargaining chip to gain access to a product that Philips would not normally have released. The long and the short of it is that this media is *NOT* market ready. At least Ritek's media USUALLY completes it's burns on most drives. This media doesn't burn at rated speed on most drives (looking around, LiteON might be the only one to have proper speed support!), and BenQ drives (BenQ and Philips are VERY close too!!) can't even complete a burn on this media! Furthermore, Philips only ever uses "Philips Certified" media in their own brand media products... but CMCMAGD04 has *NOT* been Philips Certified!! And the fact that you can't buy this media *ANYWHERE* else (we are almost NEVER the first to get a new product line) all makes this look like the product was rushed out well before it was ready, and Philips MUST have been aware. So this leads me to believe that Futureshop must have requested it specifically (8x DVD+RDL media), or just something special in general. Still, I think this is going to come back to bite Futureshop with all the returned spindles (I'll be returning mine when I'm done, as this media is clearly not working properly), and Philips reputation will also be hurt!!
So you can bring back used spindles to FS? if so, I'd like to test them on my burner to see what speeds I will get or more coasters...
FS must have got a special buy on these.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
jon604 wrote:So you can bring back used spindles to FS? if so, I'd like to test them on my burner to see what speeds I will get or more coasters...
If the media is defective, and won't burn at the proper speed or with any kind of quality on your drive, you have a good arguement for a refund. However, if the media performs decently well, as ADVERTISED (I.E. at 8x), then you don't really have an arguement.

I'd be VERY interested in learning how these discs perform on newer LG and NEC drives though!
DVD
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1853 posts
611 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:If the media is defective, and won't burn at the proper speed or with any kind of quality on your drive, you have a good arguement for a refund. However, if the media performs decently well, as ADVERTISED (I.E. at 8x), then you don't really have an arguement.

I'd be VERY interested in learning how these discs perform on newer LG and NEC drives though!
I just ordered them for pickup.. I will tell you how well they work on my new LG in a couple of days.. I wish I had new movies to burn.. hate to waste them just for the sake of testing.
Feb 12, 2006
694 posts
88 upvotes
Like I said because of my experience with Philips SL ony being able to burn them at 4x. I won't even touch these with a 10 foot pole.
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:Exactly why I made sure to pick my spindle up today! I wanted to get the info out on these discs as quick as possible... once I found out how unusual they are!

thx4 ur input, DD...

i was planning to buy a pk, but... guess not :P

----------
jon604 wrote:So you can bring back used spindles to FS? if so, I'd like to test them on my burner to see what speeds I will get or more coasters...
the Dolph is correct. many have returned opened media w/ used discs...
as long as u've got a reasonable argument, it shouldn't be a prblm

FS/BB's return policy for blank media is pretty lenient. ... unlike TS, which will NOT refund blank media if opened. :|
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Jul 19, 2005
352 posts
The Digital Dolphin wrote:The BenQ DW1640 failed to burn them as well.... I'm now burning one in my Pioneer DVR-111D at 2.4x, so far it seems to be working. I'm at the 6.5GB point now, which is much further then it made it on either BenQ drive.

The media is CMCMAGD04 if anyone's wondering by the way ;)

Try at 8x. My 1640 coasters everytime when doing the verbatim's at 2.4 or 4x but 8x I get 95+ on cdspeed scans.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Jman wrote:Try at 8x. My 1640 coasters everytime when doing the verbatim's at 2.4 or 4x but 8x I get 95+ on cdspeed scans.
Please understand, I was TRYING to burn them at 8x! :-0 The drive limited the burn to only 2.4x on the BenQ, and then it failed anywhere between the 2GB and 4GB point on the disc. I tried a couple times on the BenQ drives too.
DVD
Dec 18, 2005
61 posts
6 upvotes
I bought a pack of these discs and the outside edges are all trashed. The worst thing is that i threw away my reciept. I havent looked at them in the light. I would say that every 2 out of 5 discs have a lil hole on the side. Others have missing mirrored surface when you hold them up to the light. The only time I have ever seen this is with rotting discs that are like 3 years old. I wrote a review on futureshop.ca. let's see if they actually post it.
Now im questioning what I should do. Should I buy a new pack and take these ones back 45 min later and hope the new ones arent scarred? i looked at the reciept last night and thought :mad: . ahhh i dont need this. im pissed off. either way im out 30 some bucks and stuck with ****** media.
the only thing that is positive is that both of the 360 games I burned work. The last one didnt work the first time but i cant blame the discs. and also. Why are you people burning at more than 2x anyways? no matter what drive or media you use its gonna be flaky in any player as far as im concerned. btw im using a Pioneer dvr-110d
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
gueat wrote:I bought a pack of these discs and the outside edges are all trashed. The worst thing is that i threw away my reciept. I havent looked at them in the light. I would say that every 2 out of 5 discs have a lil hole on the side. Others have missing mirrored surface when you hold them up to the light. The only time I have ever seen this is with rotting discs that are like 3 years old. I wrote a review on futureshop.ca. let's see if they actually post it.
Now im questioning what I should do. Should I buy a new pack and take these ones back 45 min later and hope the new ones arent scarred? i looked at the reciept last night and thought :mad: . ahhh i dont need this. im pissed off. either way im out 30 some bucks and stuck with ****** media.
the only thing that is positive is that both of the 360 games I burned work. The last one didnt work the first time but i cant blame the discs. and also. Why are you people burning at more than 2x anyways? no matter what drive or media you use its gonna be flaky in any player as far as im concerned. btw im using a Pioneer dvr-110d
Trying contacting Philips themselves then maybe? Only one place has these (world wide as far as I can tell), so it shouldn't be THAT hard for them to accept that you bought it at Futureshop... and also, the product has a 1 year warranty, and has only been released for a few weeks. So again, you shouldn't have a problem.

As for burning them faster then 2.4x... the media is RATED at 8x. Even if it doesn't perform it's best at 8x, it should at LEAST be BURNABLE at 8x on a decent amount of drives!
DVD
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12950 posts
1388 upvotes
I was a future shop today and decided to pick up a pack to try out myself since im bored as hell and have lots of time to kill :lol:

so i just make a 1:1 copy of a movie and run nero cd/dvd speed?

results in 20 mins

EDIT1:USING
Drive: BenQ DW-1655 revision BCDB
Movie: American History X
Burning Program: CloneDVD2
Write Speed: 8x (CloneDVD2 allow me to select 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x for some reason)

(97% right now) its been 19 mins or so of burning...

EDIT2: DONE: 18mins, 50 secs according to the program
[QUOTE]
Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc Type: DVD+R DL
Book Type DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: CMC
MID CMC MAG D04 (000)
Write speeds: 2.4 X - 4 X - 6 X - 8 X
Blank Capacity n/a
Extended Information
Layers 2
Layer break 3.04 GB
Write strategies n/a
Disc Status Closed
Raw Data
Physical Format Information (00h)

0000 - 01 0F 32 10 00 03 00 00 00 FC FF FF 00 1B 48 8F - ..2...........H.
0010 - 00 00 00 43 4D 43 20 4D 41 47 00 44 30 34 00 40 - ...CMC.MAG.D04.@
0020 - 25 25 37 0E 02 20 64 02 20 64 18 16 09 08 12 13 - %%7...d..d......
0030 - 01 01 01 20 00 18 16 09 08 12 13 01 01 01 20 00 - ................[/QUOTE]

Testing right now...

EDIT3: I noticed that my movie is only 6.07GB so i guess thats not a full disc. somebody name something thats takes up the full disc!!!!
EDIT4: [IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/1762/1xcq7.jpg[/IMG]
did the wrong scan. hahahahaah.
EDIT5:quality is sitting at 65 right now 70% through the scan....
EDIT6:[IMG]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5857/2xmc9.jpg[/IMG]
Am i doing something wrong?
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
wow... I'm surprised you go your drive to burn it all the way through!!

I'm going to try again on mine with the new firmware... hopefully it will fix some of the issues.

As for the scan, the quality looks questionable. Don't use them for anything important! ;)
DVD
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10024 posts
882 upvotes
Toronto
just like the other philips media at futureshop during boxing day.. lol.. bad discs.. everyone returned them.. lol. so dual layered discs are no good. I'd was fine with fs house branded dl blanks that were verbatiums..
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)