• Sep 7th, 2018 5:32 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 13, 2009
451 posts
77 upvotes

Phone Battery malfunction?

Hi.
Is it possible for an old phone battery (I guess, any battery really) to fail in transferring power to the device, even if the meter states that it's fully charged or close to it?

I'm still running a Galaxy S4 but it shuts off constantly within a short period of usage, even when the battery is over 90% charged.

Thanks.
6 replies
May 30, 2017
629 posts
237 upvotes
Brampton, Mount Plea…
Yeah. It's not reporting the correct battery percentage. You'll have to replace the battery. It's easy for the S4 since the battery is removable. But finding a good battery is the hard part.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
18447 posts
5395 upvotes
Toronto
I've had good luck with Anker, ZeroLemon, and Stallion batteries from Amazon.ca.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2009
451 posts
77 upvotes
Thanks for the responses.
@audit13 I've read quite a few posts about the Anker line of batteries. I'll have to try one out.
I was thinking about upgrading to a Note 9 but i'd rather save and buy outright.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
18447 posts
5395 upvotes
Toronto
I have used Anker in a Samsung s3 and s4 with good results.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6929 posts
4200 upvotes
Between Countries
Are you sure it's the battery and not the motherboard itself? In the situation you described, it would be hard to tell. Does the battery indicator ever actually go down? Does the battery warm up when charging? Does it still shut off with the power adapter plugged in?

I might try a new battery if I could get one for 20 or less but any more than that and I would just ditch the S4.
[OP]
Feb 13, 2009
451 posts
77 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: Are you sure it's the battery and not the motherboard itself? In the situation you described, it would be hard to tell. Does the battery indicator ever actually go down? Does the battery warm up when charging? Does it still shut off with the power adapter plugged in?

I might try a new battery if I could get one for 20 or less but any more than that and I would just ditch the S4.
Yeah, this is what I'm trying to figure out really. I was about to just buy a phone but then decided to go through a process of elimination.

- The battery indicator is usually high but there are times where it'll be in the high 80's/low 90's before shutting off. Then once restarted, it's all the way down to the 30's.
- The battery does seem to warm up a bit but surely that's normal for any battery....no? One thing that I did notice, is that it felt a little thicker than usual. Which is usually an obvious sign of a faulty one; especially the lithium types. So I'm assuming and hoping that it is indeed, just the battery.

This phone has served me extremely well and it would be great to keep it going.