Phone help on 2-month trip to NYC?

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2010 1:14 am
[OP]
Dec 18, 2008
17 posts
Toronto

Phone help on 2-month trip to NYC?

I'll be going to NYC for two months, and was debating whether to get a roaming plan from Rogers (...ripoff?) or get a pay-as-you-go plan from an GSM American carrier like AT&T or T-Mobile. What would be the best (or cheapest) way to do it?

Also, I have an iPhone - would it be expensive to get data on it? (no existing data plan on Rogers right now)

Thanks.
8 replies
May 8, 2006
132 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
You could just go to walmart and buy a net10 phone that comes with 30$ worth of service for under $30. There are other prepaid providers but none are quite as cheap as net10 if you will be using few minutes (30$ worth of service with net10 = 300 minutes over the two months).
Maksimk on Heatware
May 29, 2007
258 posts
70 upvotes
maksim wrote: you could just go to walmart and buy a net10 phone that comes with 30$ worth of service for under $30. There are other prepaid providers but none are quite as cheap as net10 if you will be using few minutes (30$ worth of service with net10 = 300 minutes over the two months).

+1
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1614 posts
104 upvotes
Montr
nQuo wrote: I'll be going to NYC for two months, and was debating whether to get a roaming plan from Rogers (...ripoff?) or get a pay-as-you-go plan from an GSM American carrier like AT&T or T-Mobile. What would be the best (or cheapest) way to do it?

Also, I have an iPhone - would it be expensive to get data on it? (no existing data plan on Rogers right now)

Thanks.
I think everyone will agree -- buy local. I bought a AT&T sim chip from e-bay prepaid. Worked out well for me. The prepaid plan has data packagese. 100mb/$200 - 30 days.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2005
4422 posts
150 upvotes
Mississauga
I found you an awesome deal! This is what i did when i was in chicago for a few months.

If you buy a reconditioned net10 phone they give you an extra 200min for free!
So u can buy a phone for $20 and get 300 minutes + in addition a NET10 200 Minute Airtime Card!

You can keep buying this phone as many times as you need, and just transfer all of your minutes to your current phone to keep the same number

Here is the link
http://www.net10-store.com/bpdirect/net ... &zip=95831
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2005
4422 posts
150 upvotes
Mississauga
TinyTank wrote: I found you an awesome deal! This is what i did when i was in chicago for a few months.

If you buy a reconditioned net10 phone they give you an extra 200min for free!
So u can buy a phone for $20 and get 300 minutes + in addition a NET10 200 Minute Airtime Card!

You can keep buying this phone as many times as you need, and just transfer all of your minutes to your current phone to keep the same number

Here is the link
http://www.net10-store.com/bpdirect/net ... &zip=95831
too add to this deal here are to coupon codes and they can be combined
34567 - $3 off
88121 - Free accessory kit (added to cart automatically when code entered)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6365 posts
211 upvotes
I agree with all the posts about Net10. My husband and I both have the Net10 phones and we just keep adding the minutes on as we travel to the US often enough that we don't want to lose our minutes. They do roll them over if you add another card before 60 days is up. We have over 1500 minutes each because we keep adding a card. Works out to $15 a month which is pretty good.

Keep in mind that if you call Canada it's going to use 1.5 minutes but if someone calls you from Canada, it's only 1 minute. Also, you can get some sort of number for Canadians to call you so it's not long distance but I'm not clear on exactly how it works as I've not done it.

I find the service is excellent and actually works far better than I find my Rogers does up here. Go figure.
May 16, 2004
489 posts
92 upvotes
over their
if you don't want to use a cell phone there is always magicjack.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
1220 posts
82 upvotes
drdrma wrote: I think everyone will agree -- buy local. I bought a AT&T sim chip from e-bay prepaid. Worked out well for me. The prepaid plan has data packagese. 100mb/$200 - 30 days.
did you actually used it, could you elaborate ? a lot of sites said the prepaid dataplan only worked on the AT&T Iphone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)