• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2019 11:07 am
[OP]
Dec 1, 2016
156 posts
31 upvotes
mississauga

which phone holder for car?

I still like to use google map live for GPS on my car. Recently my Anker air vent phone holder broken. I do not like the air vent anymore since I find it too low for viewing.
Any recommendation? is the one from costco any good?
Seems the iOttie Easy One Touch 4 Dashboard get very good review, selling in amazon for 33$+tax. Any review?
20 replies
Jul 16, 2019
16 posts
2 upvotes
I think it depends on individual preference as well as the design of the car.
I have used a few different holders so far.
In one of my vehicles the CD tray is right at the top of the dash so I use a phone holder that slides into the CD tray. This is a press the two sides to hold and press a button to release.
For my other car, I use the vent holder as it is closer to the top while the CD tray is closer to the cup holders. This is a spring loaded holder so pull one side to slide in and the same to release.
I have used magnet based holders too but I travel a lot and having a magnet on the back of the phone messes up my hotel room keys all the time.
I have seen another holder where a metallic piece sticks to back of the phone and the magnet is on the car holder which clips into the vent. There is also another version where the holder sticks to the car - unfortunately my car does not have any decent flat (no curves or dials) surface.
I do not like the holders that sit on the dash with weights since they obstruct the view and could move. Its also too obvious if you touch the phone while driving even if just to dismiss a msg on Waze,
So my advice is to first look at the car and where would be a good place for the phone and then buy the holder accordingly.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2732 posts
1628 upvotes
Montreal
Been using iOttie for the past three years and happy with it. The sticky suction cup really holds with the supplied dash pad even on textured and slightly curved surface, only starting to detach in prolonged hot weather, and takes 10 seconds to resuction.
talmcgill wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 9:54 pm
I still like to use google map live for GPS on my car
Wnaker wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 10:07 pm
I use the glovebox, that way I can focus on the road
Why even bother to reply?
Dec 26, 2012
987 posts
515 upvotes
Canada
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01GER ... UTF8&psc=1

It's really good, and the magnets are strong. It holds my phone which weighs 218g (with heavy case) and with 2 metal plates in the case it holds it no prob. I've been using it since Jan 2018 and it's been going strong.

Edit: Amazon has people saying that it has broken on them. All I can say is it's working great for me.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3732 posts
572 upvotes
jzmtl wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 10:54 pm
Been using iOttie for the past three years and happy with it. The sticky suction cup really holds with the supplied dash pad even on textured and slightly curved surface, only starting to detach in prolonged hot weather, and takes 10 seconds to resuction.

My iOttie is not working so well after about a year . The suction cup has lost it`s stickiness . Looking for a replacement .
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17486 posts
1641 upvotes
Woodbridge
If you have a CD player and no longer use it, I highly recommend the CD mounts, I have it on my 2015 Nissan Murano. I wished my 2017 Honda Civic HB Sport Touring had it.

I am not a fan of Vents or Windshield mounts.

I saw WeatherTech has a Cup Holder mount, I would try it but again the location on my CivicX doesn't work.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Oct 9, 2005
445 posts
45 upvotes
Thornhill
I have the iottie you mentioned. Although expensive, it's a one time purchase that you'll mount once and use over and over again without thinking. Fantastic product, all my friends use the same one also.
Hi
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1570 posts
327 upvotes
I have one of these. Works great. I bought two of them for for $10 when they had one of their free shipping promotions going on.
Only thing is once the base is stuck to the dash you are not getting it off. So make sure you want it first and if you do make sure you put it in the right place (for you).

https://www.primecables.ca/p-352918-cab ... #sku358297
Apr 26, 2003
889 posts
243 upvotes
I can vouch for the iOttie Easy One Touch 4 Dashboard! I have it in my car and love it. It's awesome. I've used a number of iOttie mounts and as others have said, the suction cup is awesome and sticks to everything. I bought the iOttie Easy One Touch 4 Dashboard because the shorter ones left my phone sitting in the sun all the time on the windshield and basically killed my old phone's battery while charging and using maps, so it overheated it. The extended one brings it much closer to the driver and keeps it more in the shade.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10182 posts
2485 upvotes
Markham
bembol wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 8:10 am
If you have a CD player and no longer use it, I highly recommend the CD mounts, I have it on my 2015 Nissan Murano. I wished my 2017 Honda Civic HB Sport Touring had it.

I am not a fan of Vents or Windshield mounts.
Same. I use the phone holder which mount on the CD insert. Very solid, one button to release the phone.
Seach on Amazon Mpow Cd mount

It is about $15..
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2732 posts
1628 upvotes
Montreal
pfbmgd wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 7:55 am
My iOttie is not working so well after about a year . The suction cup has lost it`s stickiness . Looking for a replacement .
Have you remounted it during the year? Try wash the suction cup with soapy water and blow try before remounting.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6800 posts
5888 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
jzmtl wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 10:54 pm
Clearly "Wnaker" was just a misspelling of Wanker. Probably while he was on the road too....
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3732 posts
572 upvotes
jzmtl wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 1:07 pm
Have you remounted it during the year? Try wash the suction cup with soapy water and blow try before remounting.
I did that a few weeks ago . Cleaned the dash too . It till falls down on hot days .
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2732 posts
1628 upvotes
Montreal
pfbmgd wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 5:18 pm
I did that a few weeks ago . Cleaned the dash too . It till falls down on hot days .
Are you using the included dash pad? It helps a lot on textured/soft touch dash.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1515 posts
166 upvotes
Oakville
talmcgill wrote:
Aug 15th, 2019 9:54 pm
Any recommendation?
Gravity holder with wireless charger is my 1st choice.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)