• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2020 5:18 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 2, 2015
21 posts
11 upvotes
Stavely, AB

Phone Jack Won't Fit

Ironically I've never owned a land line telephone until now, but we need one for our intercom. Our place is newly renovated, but the building was built in the 1970s, and for some reason the phone cord for our new phone won't physically fit into the jack.

Now, I work in IT, so I know what an ethernet cable is. This isn't one. It's a regular phone cord and (seemingly) an ordinary wall jack. But the wall jack is slightly too small to insert the phone cable. Could this be some weird older standard or a fax line or some other retro shit?
17 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16453 posts
9263 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ClassicCool wrote: Ironically I've never owned a land line telephone until now, but we need one for our intercom. Our place is newly renovated, but the building was built in the 1970s, and for some reason the phone cord for our new phone won't physically fit into the jack.

Now, I work in IT, so I know what an ethernet cable is. This isn't one. It's a regular phone cord and (seemingly) an ordinary wall jack. But the wall jack is slightly too small to insert the phone cable. Could this be some weird older standard or a fax line or some other retro shit?
To answer your question no. A faxline is a normal telephone jack or commonly referred to as an RJ-11. The RJ-11 supports 6 conductors (3 lines) and is typically used to connect the phone to the wall. Another RJ connector typically used is an RJ-9 which supports 4 conductors and it goes from the phone base to the handset and is physically smaller than the RJ-11.

I would suggest that you count the number of conductors on your cord and jack to see if they match.
Member
Mar 8, 2013
338 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
If it's a new jack from a reno, and it's only slighter smaller, it might be a manufacturing defect. Can you post a photo of the jack and cable?



Image

Image

Image
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
4487 posts
2776 upvotes
Gotham
RJ10. It looks like it has been painted. Peel the paint off and it will probably fit.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3839 posts
1044 upvotes
Take the plate off if possible ?
Member
Mar 8, 2013
338 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
It could be a standard RJ11 (4 pins) telephone jack. It's hard to tell.

In that photo of the jack, the space between the outer pin and the side wall seems too wide for RJ9. But again, it's hard to tell from that one photo alone.

RJ9 plug:
Image
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
18505 posts
2877 upvotes
Langley
I'm also voting for paint as the likely culprit. Buy a new one from Home Depot for a couple dollars.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11264 posts
3014 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
People seem to use "IT" very broadly so it really does not mean much anymore. I have seen people at my work who work in "IT" with me & when connecting a 2nd monitor to a computer they connection it to another video port on the original monitor :facepalm:
Gee wrote: @ClassicCool

If you work in IT, it shouldn't be a challenge for you to remove the plate and punch down a new jack
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 2, 2015
21 posts
11 upvotes
Stavely, AB
sickcars wrote: People seem to use "IT" very broadly so it really does not mean much anymore. I have seen people at my work who work in "IT" with me & when connecting a 2nd monitor to a computer they connection it to another video port on the original monitor :facepalm:
I choose not to take that personally. As it happens, I haven't had to crimp a network cable since college and I don't have the tool for it anyway. Also the building super can't tell me for sure if that particular port even connects to the intercom circuit, so I'm not in a rush anymore. I'll see about replacing the jack when I feel inspired again.
Sr. Member
Oct 1, 2009
544 posts
235 upvotes
West coast
How about just peeling the paint? Looking at the picture, I feel like I want to peel the paint for you
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11264 posts
3014 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Its not directed at you sorry, just in General I see some people say they work in IT but they could be a programmer and when it comes to hardware they know nothing about it just like somebody whos in hardware/networking may not know anything about programing and so on.
So unless the person is specific on what type of IT they are in then that does not mean much.
ClassicCool wrote: I choose not to take that personally. As it happens, I haven't had to crimp a network cable since college and I don't have the tool for it anyway. Also the building super can't tell me for sure if that particular port even connects to the intercom circuit, so I'm not in a rush anymore. I'll see about replacing the jack when I feel inspired again.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33517 posts
7147 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
sickcars wrote: So unless the person is specific on what type of IT they are in then that does not mean much.
You rarely see programmers refer to their vocation as IT

Software engineer maybe. But they usually call themselves programmers.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 2, 2015
21 posts
11 upvotes
Stavely, AB
doradxplorer wrote: How about just peeling the paint? Looking at the picture, I feel like I want to peel the paint for you
I've actually been at it with a sharp knife a few times, but it's hard to distinguish the hardened paint from the plastic. No luck thus far.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 2, 2015
21 posts
11 upvotes
Stavely, AB
sickcars wrote: Its not directed at you sorry, just in General I see some people say they work in IT but they could be a programmer and when it comes to hardware they know nothing about it just like somebody whos in hardware/networking may not know anything about programing and so on.
So unless the person is specific on what type of IT they are in then that does not mean much.
It's fine. I've encountered plenty of people with my job title who act like they got their diploma off a cereal box. They get into the industry because it's a "good job", not because they're good at it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
3408 posts
3537 upvotes
GTA
I'm going with RJ9 or similar. Do you know if the previous owners were an office by any chance? They probably used it for their specific network needs.
c'mon get happy!

Top