Cell Phones

Phone for a parent: does WhatsApp require SIM or phone number?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2019 3:11 pm
Apr 23, 2008
675 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto

Phone for a parent: does WhatsApp require SIM or phone number?

Hi,
Looking for a phone for a parent, who will use it for making WhatsApp calls only via wifi. She already has Ooma. I do not want to sign-up for a monthly voice or data plan.
Question: Do we need to have a SIM or a phone number or a voice plan to setup WhatsApp? Plan is to use WhatsApp over wifi only.

If I need to get her a voice plan (for emergency out-of-home calls only) I'll probably get pre-paid 7-11 Speakout minutes. Any other recommendation for a cheap voice plan?
Thanks
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
WhatsApp requires a phone number to receive a text message or phone call to activate the service. You could probably use their home phone number.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
You might not be able to use a home phone number bevause whatsapp needs to validate the number via sms. Download line2 and have whatsapp send the sms verification code there.
Oct 17, 2010
838 posts
592 upvotes
Terrace
download textnow (android/ios) you get an area code + number of your choice and you can call/receive calls anywhere in north america and send/receive text via wifi.

https://www.textnow.com/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
Some of you are making it too complicated. If you cannot receive a text, you can have WhatsApp phone you.

Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
3497 posts
2144 upvotes
Etobicoke
smehmood wrote: Hi,
Looking for a phone for a parent, who will use it for making WhatsApp calls only via wifi. She already has Ooma. I do not want to sign-up for a monthly voice or data plan.
Question: Do we need to have a SIM or a phone number or a voice plan to setup WhatsApp? Plan is to use WhatsApp over wifi only.

If I need to get her a voice plan (for emergency out-of-home calls only) I'll probably get pre-paid 7-11 Speakout minutes. Any other recommendation for a cheap voice plan?
Thanks
Use ooma number to sign up for whatsapp.

You can even use android phone and use verify using phone call.
Temp. Banned
Apr 20, 2018
151 posts
73 upvotes
OP said "WHATSAPP".

And yes, unnecessarily complicated. People are so used to texting that it's unimaginable that someone, in this case whatsapp, can CALL them.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Good to know. I only have the Fido tablet plan and GV doesn't work on this or on Viber.

What about Viber?