• Aug 8th, 2021 12:11 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
737 posts
349 upvotes
Mississauga

Phone Plan Suggestions?

I'm going back and forth on which phone plan I should switch to.

Basically, I don't use my phone so much for calling, never use it for SMS texting, and only need data when I'm at work (might occasionally use it on public transit, IF I ever get enough elbow room). However, the work part is the killer here. I don't need to use my phone for work really, but occasionally they'd post updates or send emails, so I'd need a connection all day long, but I won't be using it for anything more than I'd say 10-50mb a day at work. And talk/text, I really don't use either. Obviously I should still at least have a number incase I ever need to make a call for any reason (I use WhatsApp a lot, so once I have an internet connection, I'd probably just use that to call family or friends).

With all that said, any suggestions?

I just heard about Fido offering a $10 a month plan for unlimited texting, and 4GB of data. You get 0 minutes, but with a phone number comes voicemail at least. Unfortunately it has a hard credit check (my credit score isn't bad, I just hate doing hard checks since it impacts your score).

And freedom currently with a $99/year plan for unlimited talk and text. Or $198 a year for talk,text and 2gb a month of data.

So I'm undecided which route to go.

Option 1:
-Freedom $198 a year deal for unlimited talk/text/2GB data

Option 2:
-Freedom $99 a year for unlimited talk/text
+
-???(possibly Fidos $10 a month for 4GB) data plan add on (second sim card)

Option 3:
-???(possibly Fido) Data plan add on
+
-??? Talk/text plan

Any suggestions?
5 replies
Aug 27, 2019
29 posts
32 upvotes
it honestly depends on your use case for the talk/text plan, if you are only going to be using it for emergencies, speakout pay as you go is an option, all you need to do is top up $25/year and you can have a phone number but the pay per use rates are kinda high $0.30/per minute, $0.15/sent message, $0.50/sent MMS, free incoming SMS/MMS.

Another option is to use a voip app such as fongo, textnow. those are mostly free with ads. Fongo charged some small amount for SMS you can pay per 1/3/6 months at a time. both apps have free calling but have ads. A downside of voip apps is that you cant use them for shortcodes and most online verification such as banks.

If your in the freedom home zone most of the time you can get the $198/year 2gb plan, however, if you are not it's better to stick with the $10 fido plan with the $99 freedom plan.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
737 posts
349 upvotes
Mississauga
Navigat0r wrote: it honestly depends on your use case for the talk/text plan, if you are only going to be using it for emergencies, speakout pay as you go is an option, all you need to do is top up $25/year and you can have a phone number but the pay per use rates are kinda high $0.30/per minute, $0.15/sent message, $0.50/sent MMS, free incoming SMS/MMS.

Another option is to use a voip app such as fongo, textnow. those are mostly free with ads. Fongo charged some small amount for SMS you can pay per 1/3/6 months at a time. both apps have free calling but have ads. A downside of voip apps is that you cant use them for shortcodes and most online verification such as banks.

If your in the freedom home zone most of the time you can get the $198/year 2gb plan, however, if you are not it's better to stick with the $10 fido plan with the $99 freedom plan.
I'd prefer not getting one of those VOIP numbers.

I already have a number on Telus, and I mainly just top up my account whenever I need it.

Downside on their plan is that SMS received counts towards your usage if all you do is to up your account. It always leads to random spam SMS using up my balance, which my conspiracy is that its Telus does this to force people to pay more.

And what do you mean Freedom home zone?
Aug 27, 2019
29 posts
32 upvotes
dxbender wrote: Downside on their plan is that SMS received counts towards your usage if all you do is to up your account. It always leads to random spam SMS using up my balance, which my conspiracy is that its Telus does this to force people to pay more.
in that case, speakout seems better, it has free incoming sms/mms and runs off the rogers network
dxbender wrote: And what do you mean Freedom home zone?
Freedom Coverage Map, the home zone/network is where freedom actually has its own towers if you click the link the dark orange spots is where there is native coverage the new $99 plan only works in those places.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
1042 posts
151 upvotes
dxbender wrote: I just heard about Fido offering a $10 a month plan for unlimited texting, and 4GB of data. You get 0 minutes, but with a phone number comes voicemail at least.
Where did you hear about this Fido plan? I don't see it anywhere on their website.
[OP]
Jan 4, 2008
737 posts
349 upvotes
Mississauga
Kanus wrote: Where did you hear about this Fido plan? I don't see it anywhere on their website.
I saw someone on here post it. I think it's an add on or something.