Phone reco + plan

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2018 9:41 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 6, 2007
9 posts

Phone reco + plan

Hi, I have to get a new phone after a year or so with a phone provided by my work. I was spoiled with a Google Pixel XL but have to buy my own now. I have it narrowed down to Asus ZenFone 4 Max 5.5 or Moto G5 Plus. I can get the Asus phone for about $30 less ($289)

Would love some input on these phones if possible. Mostly interested in a fast phone for surfing the web, texting, and good photos plus I use Google Play music all the time.

As for a plan I am thinking Chatr because I can get 2.5 gb for $45/month... I usually use around 2 gb/month... Public Mobile maybe? Don't know much about it... I am in NB so Freedom Mobile has no coverage :(

Any thoughts ??

Thanks!!
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
PeterMan wrote: Hi, I have to get a new phone after a year or so with a phone provided by my work. I was spoiled with a Google Pixel XL but have to buy my own now. I have it narrowed down to Asus ZenFone 4 Max 5.5 or Moto G5 Plus. I can get the Asus phone for about $30 less ($289)

Would love some input on these phones if possible. Mostly interested in a fast phone for surfing the web, texting, and good photos plus I use Google Play music all the time.

As for a plan I am thinking Chatr because I can get 2.5 gb for $45/month... I usually use around 2 gb/month... Public Mobile maybe? Don't know much about it... I am in NB so Freedom Mobile has no coverage :(

Any thoughts ??

Thanks!!
Chatr has no LTE data . You had better check if that fits you.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Feb 6, 2007
9 posts
danieltoronto wrote: Chatr has no LTE data . You had better check if that fits you.

Thanks for pointing that out... I usually just stream music not video so I don't think that should be a deal breaker???

Is that Fido deal available to a new customer? Not on their website...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
PeterMan wrote: Is that Fido deal available to a new customer? Not on their website...
Of course. It is a loyalty plan. Users get that on chat line. YMMV
Daniel

Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1847 posts
998 upvotes
Check out Zoomer wireless. 2gb $36 400 daytime monies for the first 6 months, after that you can upgrade to their loyalty plans fuss free. $36 Loyalty Plan is 2gb and Unlimited talk/text, $45 is 4gb and the same, and there's the $54 5th.

You must sign a 2 year contract and take a device subsidy, but their Huawei GR5 is decent. Also can resell for $100-150.

Also there is $25 referral credit for getting referred by a current customer.
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14761 posts
12879 upvotes
Going to the Moon
OP you're in NB, could you get a 418/581 Eastern QC number? Once you have a QC number, rate plans with Rogers/Bell/TELUS and subs all drop astronomically. QC is not far from NB, and many in Ontario also use QC numbers.

If you're ok to use a QC number, you'll definitely have more cost-effective options (with the phone you want, too).

Else perhaps PC Mobile?
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
[OP]
Feb 6, 2007
9 posts
Thanks for the replies, I have been spoiled for a while now and have not had to deal with this on my own... Not sure about getting a QC number, is that even possible? How would I go about doing that?

I have looked at PC Mobile but you have to pay to add on data which seems stupid.

My son has a plan with Virgin and I see I can get the 2gb data plan with them for $45 so I might go down that road, will earn me loyalty with them too I think....