Phone Spoofing - People keep calling me saying they got a missed call from me

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2019 4:37 am
[OP]
Aug 14, 2019
43 posts
5 upvotes

Phone Spoofing - People keep calling me saying they got a missed call from me

I have been getting calls for weeks now that they have received atleast 1 or more missed calls from my number when in fact I haven't.. did some research and its called spoofing.. wondering if any of you have experienced that and/or know any way to make it stop (other than changing my number)?
17 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11550 posts
2072 upvotes
You just got unlucky. Some telemarketer (likely a scammer) is spoofing their number with yours. They probably just picked it at random.

Side note: spoofing is illegal in Canada, with 1 exception: you are allowed to do so if you are calling from a call center as long as the number provided is a number that can be called back. But that doesn't apply here. The scammers are likely not even in Canada. It's not like the CRTC can go after them.

Only thing you can do is if this is too excessive, is to change your number.
Apr 12, 2008
569 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
You haven't lived until you go to pick up a ringing phone and see your own number in the caller ID display.
Temp. Banned
Jul 23, 2007
2419 posts
1189 upvotes
Vancouver
Can't you just block them?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
2648 posts
2321 upvotes
danned wrote: Can't you just block them?
How?

They're using the guy's number so that his number appears when they call other people. Those other people see this guy's number and call it saying they got a missed call from him when he didn't call them, the telemarketers did.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1188 posts
805 upvotes
GTA West
joeyjoejoe wrote: You just got unlucky. Some telemarketer (likely a scammer) is spoofing their number with yours. They probably just picked it at random.

Side note: spoofing is illegal in Canada, with 1 exception: you are allowed to do so if you are calling from a call center as long as the number provided is a number that can be called back. But that doesn't apply here. The scammers are likely not even in Canada. It's not like the CRTC can go after them.

^ This. I have a theory that if you are exceptionally nasty to an Indian telemarketer, they will use your number for their spoofing!
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3960 posts
379 upvotes
Toronto
I was going to create a seperate thread but looks like I can add to this.

I had a cell number that I could not stand keeping because it got literally 10 calls a day from spammers. No amount of blocking would work. I changed the number and solved the spam calls. Today I noticed someone spoofed my old cell number and left a blank voicemail on my company line.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15277 posts
1945 upvotes
Oshawa
The trick to getting off call lists is to forward known telemarketer numbers to Lenny or a SIT tone.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25954 posts
11390 upvotes
M_Matt wrote: You haven't lived until you go to pick up a ringing phone and see your own number in the caller ID display.
Quit hitting calling yourself!
danned wrote: Can't you just block them?
I mean... you could theoretically create a whitelist but that's a whole lot of work. Each time someone new that you want to call you (eg business) you'd have to add to the list.

The only "hands free" solution I can think of would be to "front" it with an IVR saying something like "My number has been spoofed. If you're actually trying to reach $name, press one." or something along those lines.
But you'd still get people pushing 1. There's no "clean" solution.
JAC wrote: The trick to getting off call lists is to forward known telemarketer numbers to Lenny or a SIT tone.
That's not the issue here. Someone used OP's phone number as the origination for telemarketing calls.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1838 posts
1128 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
joeyjoejoe wrote: You just got unlucky. Some telemarketer (likely a scammer) is spoofing their number with yours. They probably just picked it at random.

Not quite correct. It is illegal for a telemarketer to spoof a number, https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/trules-reglest.htm. The penalties, however are an Administrative Penalty only. I, myself can spoof a number and in the past did so regularly. (Mostly to call back unknown callers using the number they used to call me).

EDIT - To clarify - If the number I do spoof to call back belongs to an innocent third party then I am done and do not bother that person again other than to advise them their number has been spoofed. If the caller leaves me another number then that is the number I will spoof and most likely will include in my submission to the CRTC/Fraud Centre, etc along with call logs and recordings.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3092 posts
457 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I booked you for duct cleaning and you never showed up. If I could give negative rating I would. Terrible service.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Jan 24, 2011
783 posts
163 upvotes
BargainHunterCan wrote: I have been getting calls for weeks now that they have received atleast 1 or more missed calls from my number when in fact I haven't.. did some research and its called spoofing.. wondering if any of you have experienced that and/or know any way to make it stop (other than changing my number)?
I just got call from someone and she mentioned that she saw missed call from me ....
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3050 posts
674 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
ya last week i get all these calls from numbers i dont recognize telling me they had a "missed" call from me like who calls back a missed call? any ways i told the guy i did not call him then he insisted i did, so i threatened him and said STOP CALLING ME OR I WILL PHONE THE POLICE ON YOU. HE Hung up. but another jack ass called me and said I called him when in fact i did NOT. i told the guy, "are you nutz?" then he hung up. ya i dunno man it happens to everyone
Hi
Jan 24, 2011
783 posts
163 upvotes
cag_73 wrote:
I just got call from someone and she mentioned that she saw missed call from me ....
Update: I called my provider TELUS and informed same. They logged ticket to investigate this and also recommended to report with Canada Anti Fraud Center
I did report through their online report option
(Reported just in case nothing get screwed up later)
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34098 posts
7938 upvotes
Ottawa
A while back I got call from my own number. LOL
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.