• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2020 12:10 pm
[OP]
Aug 21, 2019
886 posts
629 upvotes

Phonics for Kids

Came across this site which really has good content.
One of my friends son was struggling to read and this course helped him a lot.
https://welearnandgrow.com/phonics/

Let me know what you guys think
10 replies
Jul 7, 2020
372 posts
195 upvotes
This program seems pretty good. Anything that puts an emphasis on phonics as opposed to "whole language" or "language in context" is the basis of a strong program in my view. I would also recommend a book called "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" by Siegfried Engelmann. It has been in print for years, and it's so popular that you can probably pick it up at any Wal Mart these days.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8611 posts
1425 upvotes
KhetysTeachings wrote: This program seems pretty good. Anything that puts an emphasis on phonics as opposed to "whole language" or "language in context" is the basis of a strong program in my view. I would also recommend a book called "Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons" by Siegfried Engelmann. It has been in print for years, and it's so popular that you can probably pick it up at any Wal Mart these days.
We use that book as it was recommended by a friend. By lesson 70 our eldest was reading quite well independently so we stopped. We started "late" with him but by the end of it he was way beyond his peers. Compared to the standard, he's way ahead and it's opened up the world of books to him and let's him do all is homework independently since he doesn't need an adult.

We just started our 2nd kid on the program and he's doing well too.

There's a bit of a learning curve for teaching the material but otherwise the curriculum is great and the lessons are very well laid out.
Jun 12, 2019
161 posts
189 upvotes
Stock R wrote: We use that book as it was recommended by a friend. By lesson 70 our eldest was reading quite well independently so we stopped. We started "late" with him but by the end of it he was way beyond his peers. Compared to the standard, he's way ahead and it's opened up the world of books to him and let's him do all is homework independently since he doesn't need an adult.

There's a bit of a learning curve for teaching the material but otherwise the curriculum is great and the lessons are very well laid out.
What age was 'late?'
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8611 posts
1425 upvotes
Tojued wrote: What age was 'late?'
Our first was about 5.5 when we started and we didn't do the days continuously as planned so it took a while.

Our 2nd will be starting JK this year.

Note: I'm going by the age the kids are "ready". Iirc The book recommends 5-6 years with 4 being the earliest. Our 2nd is brighter than our first so it's not unreasonable to have him reading by the time he starts school. I think upon completion of the book the kids are ~Gr2 reading level.
Jul 7, 2020
372 posts
195 upvotes
Stock R wrote: We use that book as it was recommended by a friend. By lesson 70 our eldest was reading quite well independently so we stopped. We started "late" with him but by the end of it he was way beyond his peers. Compared to the standard, he's way ahead and it's opened up the world of books to him and let's him do all is homework independently since he doesn't need an adult.

Cool, that's nice to hear. This book uses an instructional method that usually requires teachers to have formal training in the method, but this particular book is intended for a general audience, although I would imagine that there is still a bit of a learning curve for the adult teaching it.
Jun 12, 2019
161 posts
189 upvotes
Stock R wrote: Our first was about 5.5 when we started and we didn't do the days continuously as planned so it took a while.

Our 2nd will be starting JK this year.

Note: I'm going by the age the kids are "ready". Iirc The book recommends 5-6 years with 4 being the earliest. Our 2nd is brighter than our first so it's not unreasonable to have him reading by the time he starts school. I think upon completion of the book the kids are ~Gr2 reading level.
Thanks for responding! My son is 4 and I've been trying to find an ideal reading program for him. I'll actively look out for this book.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8611 posts
1425 upvotes
KhetysTeachings wrote: Cool, that's nice to hear. This book uses an instructional method that usually requires teachers to have formal training in the method, but this particular book is intended for a general audience, although I would imagine that there is still a bit of a learning curve for the adult teaching it.
Yes, there's definitely a learning curve. The lesson text is very specific and you need to learn how the method teaches the sounds. It's very different from the syllable prononciation method most people use. My wife is good with stuff like that, me not so much.
Tojued wrote: Thanks for responding! My son is 4 and I've been trying to find an ideal reading program for him. I'll actively look out for this book.
Gl. It takes some time to start up but it's well worth it. As I said, our eldest did very well with the program. He's been able to transfer those skills to French reading as well. Our 4 year old is doing well with the lessons too so I'd say the method works quite well.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2019
886 posts
629 upvotes
Stock R wrote: Yes, there's definitely a learning curve. The lesson text is very specific and you need to learn how the method teaches the sounds. It's very different from the syllable prononciation method most people use. My wife is good with stuff like that, me not so much.

My friend mentioned that the phonics course in welearnandgrow.com had individual videos which talk about how to pronounce each letter sounds and helps in blending to easily read words.

Gl. It takes some time to start up but it's well worth it. As I said, our eldest did very well with the program. He's been able to transfer those skills to French reading as well. Our 4 year old is doing well with the lessons too so I'd say the method works quite well.
Once the kids start to read it opens up a wide variety of possibilities and gives them a head start.
Last edited by Stallion86 on Sep 15th, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6830 posts
539 upvotes
GT'eh
the $89 bundle sale price is over, looks like its back to regular price, will keep checking back for future sales
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired [email protected] & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+