Students

physical/biological science minor = waste of time?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2010 5:10 pm
[OP]
May 25, 2008
234 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

physical/biological science minor = waste of time?

I'm currently doing a double major in social science and "hard" science. I started off with the hard science, then I got hooked on the social science - and now it's my "favoured" major. Since these two majors are unrelated, I'm finding the courses quite difficult to balance.

Anyway, I'm thinking of switching to a science minor.
Is it worth getting a minor in a physical/biological science?
Could I still get into a science graduate program, if I changed my mind about social science?
8 replies
Feb 24, 2008
853 posts
6 upvotes
ItemFinder wrote: Arts = waste of time.
This is science.

Just like anything, do what you excel at. Look up art directors.
Jun 30, 2009
153 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto / Waterloo
Minor in things that you like. Its not like a deciding factor whether you get a job or not so.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
2447 posts
61 upvotes
I completely disagree.

1. Arts (especially anthropology) provides a fantastic new world view not appreciated in many other disciplines.
2. If you can get a high GPA, that can open doors for whatever you want (i.e. medicine, dentistry, law, whatever).
3. It can compliment science very nicely. The writing assignments really help hone your literary skills. Many science students are extremely poor writers.
4. Nothing you enjoy is a waste of time.

For what it's worth I'm a science student who has taken more than his fair share of arts courses. Oh and bonus:

5. Female:male ratio is high!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
2074 posts
116 upvotes
North York
Disagree.

Any major you don't enjoy doing = waste of time

People who enjoy what they do, even artists, are more likely to be successful than those who end up hating their engineering degree or those who abandon med school because they suddenly realize it isn't for them.

Listen to what you like, not what people tell you to do or what your parents says is good for you. Study what you like.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3363 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
jacobe wrote: listen to what you like, not what people tell you to do or what your parents says is good for you. Study what you like.
+1