1436 posts
499 upvotes
looks like linus is gonna drop PIA now.
are we there yet?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3389 posts
5067 upvotes
Damn, I've been using them for like 6 or 7 years I think. This sucks. I've never had any issues with them and have recommended PIA to a lot of people...

I guess it's a good thing my subscription ends on December 9th. Time to cancel auto renewal.

Not sure who to go for now.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3500 posts
2203 upvotes
Used to have PIA a few years ago but they went Teksavvy way. Good brand, good service but you can get a better bang for the buck elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15218 posts
6233 upvotes
Wow. Thanks OP. Right after the 1 year promo they just did. Terrible timing for a lot of people I'm sure.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4136 posts
1678 upvotes
Toronto
Do we really have to jumo ship because one guy on reddit says the new company is scummy?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4824 posts
1488 upvotes
Repooc wrote: Do we really have to jumo ship because one guy on reddit says the new company is scummy?
Kape, the new owner of PIA, has a history of tracking customers' activity (on other VPN services they own!) to sell to advertisers, they have ads in their VPN app (ads only work if they're targeted, and they can only be targeted if Kape is tracking your activity) and their apps have had malware in them in the past (implying poor quality control).
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3389 posts
5067 upvotes
Repooc wrote: Do we really have to jumo ship because one guy on reddit says the new company is scummy?
Whether you like him or not, even Linus Sebastian from Linus Tech Tips is concerned about it. They've been pushing PIA on all their videos and website, use them, and have them as a main sponsor. They've stopped all of that atm and are in contact with them to have them explain themselves. They're also currently looking at who they may be using as their replacement.

Kape is not trustworthy in the slightest.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1436 posts
499 upvotes
guys do yourselves a favour if you are on PIA.
find a replacement provider ASAP.
are we there yet?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28886 posts
4610 upvotes
Montreal
Repooc wrote: Any recommendations?
Indeed. What I liked about PIA is their support for Android and Linux. One VPN to rule them all.

Any other provider with same level of service?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1436 posts
499 upvotes
MULLVAD is getting up there.
mr_raider wrote: Indeed. What I liked about PIA is their support for Android and Linux. One VPN to rule them all.

Any other provider with same level of service?
are we there yet?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20530 posts
5987 upvotes
GTA
Mullvad is basically the best thing right now. Pricey but hey, what's your IP and data worth?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
442 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Apart from this merger, does anyone know who owns what?

PIA -> London Trust Media -> Imperial Family Companies

Who owns KAPE?

From what I could find, people should have been suspicious of PIA as soon as LTM came about.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8987 posts
1942 upvotes
I use Windscribe, https://windscribe.com. So far so good.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1436 posts
499 upvotes
ended up jumping on the 1.77/mth deal with surfshark.
if anyone needs the link just dm me.
are we there yet?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2986 upvotes
im glad I got the windscribe lifetime. Broke even on this over a year ago, when the alternative was PIA. PIA is no longer viable in my books with this takeover.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)