Pickering Power Plant - Concerns

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 6:23 am
[OP]
Oct 24, 2009
37 posts
58 upvotes

Pickering Power Plant - Concerns

Anyone have any issues around the Pickering power plant and living closeby to that area?

I've been here for a few years now in the Brock Road and 401 area but some of my family have big issues with the plant. It's actually frustrating talking to them especially since the plant emergency notification a few months ago (they think the government covered something up). They're of the belief that the plant is pouring god knows what into the water and that there's radiation sickness for people around it.

So redflagdeals..how do I approach this topic? Anyone who lives in Pickering that has had to deal with this?
17 replies
Dec 23, 2012
504 posts
499 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
they keep all the spent nuclear materials in storage, dumping it is extremely illegal. radiation from a properly functioning nuclear power plant is significantly lower than background radiation that occurs naturally, but you can get a Geiger counter if you really wanted to. you can look at any number of studies that show this and also no increase in cancer etc. around nuclear power plants in ontario. if your family isn't satisfied with that, then that's a different problem.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1306 upvotes
If they have issues, move. The plant was there long before them presumably.

It's no different than someone moving next to an airport and then complaining about the noise of planes
Apr 6, 2020
109 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
I grew up in Pickering and no one I know has ever had any issues related to it at all
GTA Real Estate Agent
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9193 posts
5047 upvotes
I would get the Geiger counter, myself. That way you can at least have some measurement for yourself of what the situation is.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2741 posts
788 upvotes
Whitby
I have lived in Whitby for 50 years - smack dab between 2 nuclear power plants.
Other than the "warning" there has been no concerns - even when they mailed out the iodine tabs. Meh.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4392 posts
2562 upvotes
Toronto
Hewhewhew wrote: (they think the government covered something up). They're of the belief that the plant is pouring god knows what into the water and that there's radiation sickness for people around it.
This sounds somewhat like conspiracy theorists, so honestly any actual proof or data you brought them would probably do little or nothing to change their already made-up mind.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19068 posts
17389 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
We couldn't even move East because my wife had issues with the power plant. Cut off all that cheap housing from our housing search.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2009
37 posts
58 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: If they have issues, move. The plant was there long before them presumably.

It's no different than someone moving next to an airport and then complaining about the noise of planes
I should probably clarify. The family making comments are extended and do not live in Pickering. In fact, they've refused to come to the area for dinner and we've always had to go to them. I'm just not sure how I would convince them otherwise that it is safe here. My fiance's family is on the paranoid and risk adverse side of things so these comments always come up during our visits with them. They seem convinced that it is really easy to just up and move to York region when the price difference between the two areas is pretty high considering we are pretty use to detached living now (not to mention the moving costs). My fiance is extremely upset by their comments and I'm torn on what to do.
Nov 26, 2012
431 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
So your extended family refuses to come to your house even if you are offering to cook? Sounds great tbh lol. It's like how I live downtown and no one visits us from the suburbs cuz there's no free parking.

In all seriousness, it is not rationale so there is no rationale way to talk through it. If they bring it up, ask them to help pay for a home in York Region (jokingly but also seriously).
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
12484 posts
15967 upvotes
Toronto
Hewhewhew wrote: I should probably clarify. The family making comments are extended and do not live in Pickering. In fact, they've refused to come to the area for dinner and we've always had to go to them. I'm just not sure how I would convince them otherwise that it is safe here. My fiance's family is on the paranoid and risk adverse side of things so these comments always come up during our visits with them. They seem convinced that it is really easy to just up and move to York region when the price difference between the two areas is pretty high considering we are pretty use to detached living now (not to mention the moving costs). My fiance is extremely upset by their comments and I'm torn on what to do.
It's just an excuse, they don't want to commute and they want you to live closer to them. That or they are legitimately incompetent hundreds of thousands of people live in surrounding areas and are fine.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2055 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
Living in Durham and knowing people living near the plant, no one has EVER gotten sick. There is so much containment and measures in place. We are not in a 3rd world country. That thing is secure, no one has died. This is not the Simpsons and we don't have 3 eyed fishes.

You and your fiance should worry about yourself, are you happy? Stop letting others dictate what you do. Where do they live? Toronto? Say you won't go because you'll get shot. Brampton? Say you won't go because someone will crash into you.
[OP]
Oct 24, 2009
37 posts
58 upvotes
Kkhan15 wrote: Living in Durham and knowing people living near the plant, no one has EVER gotten sick. There is so much containment and measures in place. We are not in a 3rd world country. That thing is secure, no one has died. This is not the Simpsons and we don't have 3 eyed fishes.

You and your fiance should worry about yourself, are you happy? Stop letting others dictate what you do. Where do they live? Toronto? Say you won't go because you'll get shot. Brampton? Say you won't go because someone will crash into you.
Yes I'm quite happy here. My fiance on the other hand varies mostly due to these comments from her mom's side of the family, they don't hold back with their opinions. I do try to tell her that the plant is safe and that the risk is super low as well as the fact that the plant is being decommissioned but she does get affected by what her family says.

I'll talk to her some more, but I'm glad to hear the consensus is that there should be nothing to worry about. Moving to York region would mean down sizing to a townhouse which I do not want to do.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2055 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
Hewhewhew wrote: Yes I'm quite happy here. My fiance on the other hand varies mostly due to these comments from her mom's side of the family, they don't hold back with their opinions. I do try to tell her that the plant is safe and that the risk is super low as well as the fact that the plant is being decommissioned but she does get affected by what her family says.

I'll talk to her some more, but I'm glad to hear the consensus is that there should be nothing to worry about. Moving to York region would mean down sizing to a townhouse which I do not want to do.
I actually work by the plant. and have a friend in the plant for last 10 years (pre-covid). No issues at all. Perhaps you can look up to see if there is any specific air testing done for the area?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9310 posts
10901 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Talk about in-laws from hell.

If fiancé listens to them like it sounds... I don’t see a happy life ahead for you. Because it’s likely that this isn’t the only issue they will attack to get their way.

Just being completely honest.
Jun 9, 2019
28 posts
8 upvotes
Since you mentioned water, if zoom out on map to see lake Ontario or lake Erie and search for nuclear plants you could see many nuclear plants on both sides of the border...I guess if it is there in the water then most likely it might have spread across Ontario..not just Pickering..
Apr 8, 2017
362 posts
224 upvotes
Or you guys can ignore the inlaws for 4 more years till the remaining 6 units permanently shutdown in 2024.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3213 posts
6155 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
The OP question is confusing, I am not sure what answer he is looking for. Assuming this relates to concerns about the power plant in relation to real estate values then yes the plant will always be an overhang for real estate in the area (mostly in Pickering, let's say within 5km-10km of it although there are outlier areas (Port Union - Altona/Finch).

You can justify it all you want and people can tell you "they grew up fine" living next door to it, you are still going to alienate a number of potential people willing to buy/live near it for legitimate reasons. It's very similar to properties close to transmission towers, no one wants to live next to them if they don't have to.
Realtor®

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)