Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 8, 2007
845 posts
227 upvotes
Oshawa

Picking a Lawyer - Durham Region - Or

Just sold our house with lizandmel.com (TWO HUGE THUMBS UP) and I need to provide them a lawyer now. They have there recommendations but I thought I would shop around a little.

Previously I have dealt with http://sff-law.ca/ - I called them today and they are $1100 (all in)
I have emailed a couple others and I am waiting on a response. I did get a letter from www.realestatelawyers.ca in the mail yesterday. Any thoughts on these guys? They are about $800 (all in) with the mailer discount.

I like the idea of saving $300 but it concerns me with the realestatelawyers.ca guys and what type of representation you will get if there is problems.

Any thoughts on www.realestatelawyers.ca vs a traditional lawyer. Any more affordable and reputable lawyers people would recommend in the Oshawa - Courtice - Bowmanville area?

Many thanks!

Mike
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1267 posts
695 upvotes
Oshawa
Correct me if I'm wrong but did you not sell way over asking? I wouldn't worry about a few hundred dollars either way if the lawyer is worth it. When we sold we used Diamond Fischman & Pushman. Great, efficient service and I believe it was around $800 all in.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2007
845 posts
227 upvotes
Oshawa
The price was above asking but I am not sure that means much in todays market. I believe doing my research before throwing away $300 is the prudent way to approach this. That said I like the idea of having a local point of contact that I can knock on the door when needed and that is more why I asked.

jonnyb wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but did you not sell way over asking? I wouldn't worry about a few hundred dollars either way if the lawyer is worth it. When we sold we used Diamond Fischman & Pushman. Great, efficient service and I believe it was around $800 all in.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3936 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
+1 for Mark Woitzik

We used his office as well, and Mark is pretty funny in person too.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2257 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
Agent I just worked with uses mark as well he sounds like the go to guy!
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4373 posts
781 upvotes
do we have to use Durham lawyers for buying/selling properties in Durham Region? or Toronto based lawyer is fine?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1267 posts
695 upvotes
Oshawa
Doesn't matter.
mingyang wrote: do we have to use Durham lawyers for buying/selling properties in Durham Region? or Toronto based lawyer is fine?