• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2020 2:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9200 posts
5050 upvotes

Picking up a package across the border

A close friend of mine ordered something on the internet a few months back and had it delivered to a post office box in the U.S. because the company doesn't ship to Canada. Does anyone know what options are available for retrieving this package given the current COVID situation and the border restrictions currently in place? I was telling my friend to wait it out but he thinks the border might be closed for a really long time.
14 replies
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1687 posts
1176 upvotes
Vancouver
Where is your friend located?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9200 posts
5050 upvotes
Alivenate wrote: Where is your friend located?
In the Lower Mainland, close to Vancouver.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5432 posts
2928 upvotes
Toronto
choclover wrote: Does anyone know what options are available for retrieving this package given the current COVID situation and the border restrictions currently in place? I was telling my friend to wait it out but he thinks the border might be closed for a really long time.
Can your friend arrange for anyone else to pick up the parcel?
I'm thinking along the lines of asking an essential worker or similar to pick it up for them.
But then you are asking someone to carry a sealed package across the border - big risk if they don't know / trust your friend.
Nov 23, 2014
538 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto, ON
choclover wrote: A close friend of mine ordered something on the internet a few months back and had it delivered to a post office box in the U.S. because the company doesn't ship to Canada. Does anyone know what options are available for retrieving this package given the current COVID situation and the border restrictions currently in place? I was telling my friend to wait it out but he thinks the border might be closed for a really long time.
You can pay someone to pick it up and mail you
May be ,you can find one on sites like taskrabbit.com .
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16753 posts
11955 upvotes
Toronto
You can’t drive across the border unless you are deemed an essential worker
Oct 18, 2019
274 posts
162 upvotes
GTA West
Can't he have the post office there send the item back afterwards buy it again with delivery to Canada, if not he's pretty much screw until border crossing is back to normal
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9200 posts
5050 upvotes
Sonofman wrote: Can't he have the post office there send the item back afterwards buy it again with delivery to Canada, if not he's pretty much screw until border crossing is back to normal
I think his first choice was to get the item delivered directly to Canada but the vendor didn't ship to Canada. So, yes, it seems like he may be best to just wait it out.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22812 posts
21651 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
If it’s a US Post Office Box ...
Either THEY’LL DECIDE to
(A) Continue to HOLD IT or
(B) Consider it STALE MAIL and return it to Sender

I would suggest your friend START THIS PROCESS by calling the Post Office

Like Canada Post, the US Post Office has VERY STRICT RULES about releasing parcels (ID Required )

And, they’ll be even more particular about having someone other than the addressee picking up the parcel
(Documentation Required ... including a signed release form from the person the pkg is addressed to )

As the US Border is CLOSED RIGHT NOW (unless someone is deemed an ESSENTIAL Worker etc)
Gonna be hard to find a Cdn who can pick up this parcel anyhow

When your buddy has the US Post Office on the phone ... he can make inquiries about the possibility of them forwarding the pkg onto him in Canada
(Although I wouldn’t be too optimistic with this option)
Or if they’ll forward it onto a Parcel Drop / Forwarding Service ... Parcel Push to Canada
(if there’s one in the immediate area that provides that service)

Otherwise ... he’s gotta find out what the USPS has planned for that pkg be it (A) or (B)
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12732 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
yeah, what the above poster said. Get the item returned asap and than re-order it to either a forwarding company or one of those P.O Box places.
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
16835 posts
32857 upvotes
Scarborough
I've had 2 packages sitting in Niagara Falls (US) waiting for me to pick them up for about 5 months now. I also don't think the border is going to re-open anytime soon but luckily I'm not in a rush to get them. They're offering to help get the stuff shipped to me but I don't know if your friends place is offering the same service. That'd probably be the easiest way to go if they're offering that.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3164 posts
2818 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
ROYinTO wrote: Can your friend arrange for anyone else to pick up the parcel?
I'm thinking along the lines of asking an essential worker or similar to pick it up for them.
But then you are asking someone to carry a sealed package across the border - big risk if they don't know / trust your friend.
...and if this third party has Nexus, carrying an item across for someone else is enough to lose their privileges.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3164 posts
2818 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
choclover wrote: A close friend of mine ordered something on the internet a few months back and had it delivered to a post office box in the U.S. because the company doesn't ship to Canada. Does anyone know what options are available for retrieving this package given the current COVID situation and the border restrictions currently in place? I was telling my friend to wait it out but he thinks the border might be closed for a really long time.
Borders are closed to all but essential travel. Picking up a package is not essential.

Add to that the fact that - assuming they did go across the border to get the package - your friend will be REQUIRED to self isolate for 14 days on their return, is it really worth it?

Forwarding is really the only option if they want it, otherwise return the package for a refund.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9200 posts
5050 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote: Borders are closed to all but essential travel. Picking up a package is not essential.

Add to that the fact that - assuming they did go across the border to get the package - your friend will be REQUIRED to self isolate for 14 days on their return, is it really worth it?

Forwarding is really the only option if they want it, otherwise return the package for a refund.
I don't think my friend is in any kind of hurry for the package and certainly is in no position to take 14 days' off of his work. Perhaps if he is ever flying that way he can make arrangements to pick it up but I guess other than that he will just have to wait it out or see if there is some kind of forwarding service available.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22812 posts
21651 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
choclover wrote: I don't think my friend is in any kind of hurry for the package and certainly is in no position to take 14 days' off of his work. Perhaps if he is ever flying that way he can make arrangements to pick it up but I guess other than that he will just have to wait it out or see if there is some kind of forwarding service available.
Flying won’t annul the 14 Day Quarantine Requirement when he returns to Canada

His best bet, as I said in Reply # 9, is to begin to figure out what his options are with the Post Office / USPS that currently has his parcel. He needs to contact them. Is their plan to HOLD IT or RETURN IT ... or are they able to accommodate other arrangements for pick up or forwarding

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)