• Aug 8th, 2021 10:28 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
3039 posts
221 upvotes
Oakville

Picking up at Pearson international arrivals

Anyone picked up international travelers at Pearson lately? (Terminal 3)
I've seen some pretty concerning tweets about disorganization and chaos at the international arrivals in Toronto.
Wondering how much time I should allow from landing to exit at the airport.
Some tweets refer to 4 hours, I'd like to avoid waiting outside for that long.
Anyone with recent experience?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4915 posts
1507 upvotes
Mississauga
Even before covid, there were days where the T3 custom halls would be backed up to the escalators. I would say just check for arrivals and if there's a lot of flights coming in, especially from sun destinations, give it a bit more time. I passed by the cell phone lot yesterday afternoon and it was pretty empty and it's only a 2min drive from the airport.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7222 posts
1458 upvotes
Scarborough
I came recently through T3.
The only delay for some was the stupid/ridiculous waiting in line to see/meet with the public-health people......only 3 people working when a B777 landed.
Seriously slow. They still need to fill out a form when they have the ArriveCAN app.....seriously stupid and dumb when they;re filling the form with same info as ArriveCAN already has submitted.

Fully vaccinated and those with covid recovery in last 90 days get to skip testing etc or that stupid hotel requirement so its faster for them to exit/clear.

Give it an hour or so at most......unless multiple B777's land at same time.......then expect chaos.

Here is what happens:

You Land - Walk to Arrivals Hall - Fill out Customs Declaration at kiosk - Then you wait to see BSO @ Primary immigration - then see public health (if applicable) - baggage pickup - covid test(if applicable) - Then you Exit to outside hall....
At the end it also depends on how fast your checked baggage arrives.....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
3039 posts
221 upvotes
Oakville
Very helpful, thank you!
Jun 13, 2009
895 posts
633 upvotes
Toronto
3 hours waits are normal from mid-august to mid-september because of all the students, and travellers returning from vacation. Not surprising if it is worse this year due to covid safety protocols.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7222 posts
1458 upvotes
Scarborough
webworm wrote: CBSA labour disruptions have officially begun so expect delays.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/cbsa-work ... -1.5536899
not a surprise. CBSA enjoyed quiet airports for a while now they actually made to work and process people so they go on strike.

Govts need to mandate them back to work ASAP. Why they're doing this when visa students set to arrive in september?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7306 posts
7996 upvotes
Toronto
webworm wrote: CBSA labour disruptions have officially begun so expect delays.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/cbsa-work ... -1.5536899
apnayloags wrote: not a surprise. CBSA enjoyed quiet airports for a while now they actually made to work and process people so they go on strike.

Govts need to mandate them back to work ASAP. Why they're doing this when visa students set to arrive in september?
The work-to-rule strike action that started Friday morning ended Friday night.

"After more than three years without a contract and unprecedented mobilization by FB members across Canada, the PSAC-CIU bargaining team reached a tentative agreement with Treasury Board and CBSA late Friday, August 6 following a 36-hour, round-the-clock, marathon negotiation session."
from http://psacunion.ca/fb-group-tentative- ... satreasury

CBSA employees agree to deal with government, ending day long strike action

CBSA workers reach tentative agreement with Feds ahead of easing border restrictions