Computers & Electronics

PiHole + Router + phpIPAM - Who points to who?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2020 3:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1654 posts
935 upvotes

PiHole + Router + phpIPAM - Who points to who?

I'm looking to add phpIPAM to my home network because I want to setup some VLANs and use some static IPs and have a lookup for it in my homelab.

My current setup is my Router points to PiHole for DNS. Then PiHole points to Google for DNS.

1) For phpIPAM, should I just add it as a 2nd DNS entry in my router or pihole?
2) Should I chain the DNS so that it goes Router -> phpIPAM -> PiHole -> Google?
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business
1 reply
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12135 posts
6689 upvotes
Brampton
kennyt18 wrote: I'm looking to add phpIPAM to my home network because I want to setup some VLANs and use some static IPs and have a lookup for it in my homelab.

My current setup is my Router points to PiHole for DNS. Then PiHole points to Google for DNS.

1) For phpIPAM, should I just add it as a 2nd DNS entry in my router or pihole?
2) Should I chain the DNS so that it goes Router -> phpIPAM -> PiHole -> Google?
Personally I wouldn't do chain. I'd do Router -> phIPAM & PiHole parallel.

Set phpIPAM to get DNS from router/Google (Your choice)
Set PiHole to get DNS from Google set the conditional FWD setting in Pihole back to phpIPAM

Set phpIPAM to direct DNS requests at the client level to point to PiHole. (I tired looking where to set the DNS on phpIPAM but I can't seem to find it on a per VLAN setting.

Can someone tell me the use case of phpIPAM if you have a powerful router in place?