Deal Link:
Savings:
20% off
Expiry:
October 19, 2021
Retailer:
Pilot Coffee
Save 20% on all coffee bags except instant coffee

Please refer to previous posts on quality by using the search bar up top. Do not compare this to bulk beans at Costco or other grocery stores. It’s like comparing a Toyota to a Ferrari… both does the job getting you from A to B, but one gets you the girls, the other gets you the grannies.
70 replies
Mar 2, 2015
350 posts
561 upvotes
Montreal, QC
How does Pilot compare to Detour?
May 22, 2004
636 posts
222 upvotes
Montreal
shawnie53 wrote: How does Pilot compare to Detour?
I've tried both and IMO Pilot is better.

I really miss the Ethiopia Kilenso beans they had around 2012-2014 that had very strong blueberry notes to them. Wish I could find that again.
Mar 2, 2015
350 posts
561 upvotes
Montreal, QC
What beans are recommended for espresso?
Jul 6, 2018
689 posts
1180 upvotes
shawnie53 wrote: What beans are recommended for espresso?
All of them. "Espresso beans" is just a marketing ploy. Espresso coffee is just ground finer, that's all.
May 25, 2010
368 posts
316 upvotes
Newmarket
just a little bit expensive haha i think I'll pass didnt know coffee could get so expensive thanks for the eye opener
Mar 2, 2015
350 posts
561 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thanks op. Ordered 4 bags. Bella Vista, Community, El Quizzara and Miramar.
Apr 8, 2007
505 posts
155 upvotes
I know it depends on storage conditions, but typically how long can an unopened bag be stored before consumption? I want to buy a couple of different ones to try but I don't want to waste letting it sit defeating the purpose of being fresh.

I estimate my consumption will be for one 340g bag to be 25-30 days (11g per cup, 1 cup per day). If I buy 4 bags now, it means the last bag will have to sit for 3 months.

Thoughts?

Edit: found my answer, should have looked first, doh.
From the FAQ section
BEST BEFORE DATE:
While your coffee won't 'go bad', the complexity and intensity of flavour will diminish over time. Your coffee is optimal for brewing one week after the roast date, and we recommend enjoying your coffee within six months of roasting.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12049 posts
1808 upvotes
Hey for anyone in Toronto who gets the elusive 75% off promos for Uber eats, you can use them for pilot coffee beans from their cafes. Great deal if you are struggling to find a restaurant to use. Their Uber pricing is regular store pricing so you get 75% off a bag.
Aug 8, 2011
551 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
bubba_gump wrote: I know it depends on storage conditions, but typically how long can an unopened bag be stored before consumption? I want to buy a couple of different ones to try but I don't want to waste letting it sit defeating the purpose of being fresh.

I estimate my consumption will be for one 340g bag to be 25-30 days (11g per cup, 1 cup per day). If I buy 4 bags now, it means the last bag will have to sit for 3 months.

Thoughts?

From the FAQ section
BEST BEFORE DATE:
While your coffee won't 'go bad', the complexity and intensity of flavour will diminish over time. Your coffee is optimal for brewing one week after the roast date, and we recommend enjoying your coffee within six months of roasting.
I just bought a bag from Pilot roasted Oct 13th good through April 14th 2022 which implies the bags should be good for 6 months
BigTRBL

Spend money to save money...the theory is brilliant.
Nov 6, 2018
67 posts
76 upvotes
bubba_gump wrote: I know it depends on storage conditions, but typically how long can an unopened bag be stored before consumption? I want to buy a couple of different ones to try but I don't want to waste letting it sit defeating the purpose of being fresh.

Thoughts?

From the FAQ section
BEST BEFORE DATE:
I would store the extra bags in the freezer. just take it out a day before you plan on using it. as for the open bag, I would take out 1-2 weeks worth at a time and leave the rest in the freezer, but if i remember correctly pilot beans are usually delivered within a few days of roasting so you probably wont notice much of a difference if you take a bag out at a time.
Feb 14, 2006
980 posts
1242 upvotes
Hammonds Plains

Thoughts?

From the FAQ section
BEST BEFORE DATE:
Jars with vacuum sealer, just a jar, a vacuum bag.. freeze and thaw overnight/4hr on counter/bring to room temp before opening. Else your burr grinder could get wet from condensation and bad things happen.

I vacuum seal a weeks worth of beans and freeze them all, taking one out each week. 2.1 kilo I get 8 bags with extra (not a weeks worth) to drink right now. Unsure if it saves much money but it's impossible to get fresher for cheaper for me.
Mar 27, 2009
81 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, I have been ordering beans for espresso from Pilot exclusively for almost a year now. If you want recommendations, I prefer the single origin beans but their Heritage blend is a good crowd pleaser too.
Jul 11, 2009
770 posts
684 upvotes
Toronto
BigTRBL wrote: I just bought a bag from Pilot roasted Oct 13th good through April 14th 2022 which implies the bags should be good for 6 months
i've found that pilot loses its specialness in about a month.