• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2022 5:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33306 posts
15227 upvotes

Pioneer AVR remote question

Do Pioneer receivers all use the same remote protocol, going back years for example?

I recently purchased a used one off eBay and it's not coming with a remote. The factory remote for the model is quite simplistic, and clones are available for cheap. However I'm wondering can I use a previous model's remote which is more robust--hopefully netting some more remote commands/features at the same time?

Will pretty much any Pio AVR remote work, or did they change the IR protocol/commands for different years/models?

I know IP/app remote control will work but would like to have an actual physical remote anyway.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6534 posts
3125 upvotes
Durham
ES_Revenge wrote: Do Pioneer receivers all use the same remote protocol, going back years for example?

I recently purchased a used one off eBay and it's not coming with a remote. The factory remote for the model is quite simplistic, and clones are available for cheap. However I'm wondering can I use a previous model's remote which is more robust--hopefully netting some more remote commands/features at the same time?

Will pretty much any Pio AVR remote work, or did they change the IR protocol/commands for different years/models?

I know IP/app remote control will work but would like to have an actual physical remote anyway.
https://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Support
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33306 posts
15227 upvotes
Thanks but that's really not going to help me. All manufacturer is going to say is "this is the remote for the receiver model you have, buy that one."

I just want to know if all/nearly all Pio receiver remotes work with all Pio receivers. For example you can take a Sony AVR remote from 1992 and use it on a Sony receiver model today, and it will work (granted there's something called the Command Mode which I won't get into but it will work). Same with their TVs.

Is the same true for Pioneer? That's what I'm asking.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2346 posts
1709 upvotes
Vancouver
Pretty sure it should be. Most companies have a few common IR patterns. That is how I think those universal remotes work
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
May 31, 2008
489 posts
894 upvotes
GTA area
ES_Revenge wrote: Thanks but that's really not going to help me. All manufacturer is going to say is "this is the remote for the receiver model you have, buy that one."

I just want to know if all/nearly all Pio receiver remotes work with all Pio receivers. For example you can take a Sony AVR remote from 1992 and use it on a Sony receiver model today, and it will work (granted there's something called the Command Mode which I won't get into but it will work). Same with their TVs.

Is the same true for Pioneer? That's what I'm asking.
When I used to sell Pioneer many many moons ago the remote codes stayed the same for years... the same as you mentioned for Sony. As long as it's not a different technology you should be fine.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33306 posts
15227 upvotes
devilsadvocate wrote: When I used to sell Pioneer many many moons ago the remote codes stayed the same for years... the same as you mentioned for Sony. As long as it's not a different technology you should be fine.
Awesome, thanks! :)