Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1067 posts
221 upvotes
Oakville

Pipe clamp rentals?

Probably going to sound cheap for asking this, but anyone know if they rent out pipe clamps?

I want to make a desktop that's 80"x35", and I figure I would need 7 or 8 clamps for the glue up?

I cant really think of any other time I would need to use clamps these big, so kind of want to avoid buying them.

Edit: sorry, should state that I'm in the GTA
9 replies
Nov 10, 2015
340 posts
310 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Buy and resell on Kijiji after you're done? Or buy used ones and count it as an investment. Or resell them again. Ask a friend/neighbour if they have??

Don't think places rent out hand tools or clamps to my knowledge.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14465 posts
9262 upvotes
Markham
Not sure what kind of tools you have access to

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4092 posts
1109 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1449 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
KennyX wrote: Probably going to sound cheap for asking this, but anyone know if they rent out pipe clamps?

I want to make a desktop that's 80"x35", and I figure I would need 7 or 8 clamps for the glue up?

I cant really think of any other time I would need to use clamps these big, so kind of want to avoid buying them.

Edit: sorry, should state that I'm in the GTA
Feel free to disregard this post if you're set on making it for enjoyment, however....

For stuff like this I would always recommend to go to the local Mill and get them to do it for you.

For a glueup like this, my local mill would charge under $100, this would include dressing the lumber, gluing it up, and planning the whole thing flat afterwards.

I assume you don't have the equipment to dress your own lumber, so you're probably either going to be paying a Mill a min charge of $35 to dress the lumber, or buying dressed lumber at a crazy inflated cost vs rough lumber.

This will also save you a ton of time smoothing out the joints and making the whole top flat afterwards.

Aside, pipe clamps aren't the greatest, and you will have to most likely build cauls as well, or at least need a ton of clamps to even out the pressure so it doesnt cup.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1067 posts
221 upvotes
Oakville
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Feel free to disregard this post if you're set on making it for enjoyment, however....

For stuff like this I would always recommend to go to the local Mill and get them to do it for you.

For a glueup like this, my local mill would charge under $100, this would include dressing the lumber, gluing it up, and planning the whole thing flat afterwards.

I assume you don't have the equipment to dress your own lumber, so you're probably either going to be paying a Mill a min charge of $35 to dress the lumber, or buying dressed lumber at a crazy inflated cost vs rough lumber.

This will also save you a ton of time smoothing out the joints and making the whole top flat afterwards.

Aside, pipe clamps aren't the greatest, and you will have to most likely build cauls as well, or at least need a ton of clamps to even out the pressure so it doesnt cup.
Thanks for the suggestion. But, yeah, I want to do this myself. Stopped working out back in 2017, and now that I've been working from home for the past year and a half, I kind of enjoy diy home improvement and woodworking.
And yes... will likely be paying extra for dressed lumber as I dont have a planer or jointer (yet!). For the clamps, I think Im just going to bite the bullet and buy them.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1449 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
KennyX wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. But, yeah, I want to do this myself. Stopped working out back in 2017, and now that I've been working from home for the past year and a half, I kind of enjoy diy home improvement and woodworking.
And yes... will likely be paying extra for dressed lumber as I dont have a planer or jointer (yet!). For the clamps, I think Im just going to bite the bullet and buy them.
Sounds good, in a lot of cases its usually cheaper to buy rough stuff and pay the shop rates for them to dress it for you, as opposed to buying the dressed stuff off the shelf.

In terms of jointing, do you have a plan for that yet? Dressed lumber won't really marry up perfectly, so I assume you have a table saw you can use that to joint, or just go with yee old Jack plane.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1067 posts
221 upvotes
Oakville
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Sounds good, in a lot of cases its usually cheaper to buy rough stuff and pay the shop rates for them to dress it for you, as opposed to buying the dressed stuff off the shelf.

In terms of jointing, do you have a plan for that yet? Dressed lumber won't really marry up perfectly, so I assume you have a table saw you can use that to joint, or just go with yee old Jack plane.
Yup... table saw. Process seems simple enough, get them as square as possible, glue up, clamp, router for the edges, sand, stain, and poly.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12728 posts
9374 upvotes
Edmonton
KennyX wrote: Yup... table saw. Process seems simple enough, get them as square as possible, glue up, clamp, router for the edges, sand, stain, and poly.
It may SEEM simple enough, but getting an edge straight enough to glue up without visible cracks isn’t trivial. It depends on your OCD level.

C
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1449 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
KennyX wrote: Yup... table saw. Process seems simple enough, get them as square as possible, glue up, clamp, router for the edges, sand, stain, and poly.
You can look it up on YouTube, but if you're doing it on a table saw just make sure to keep track of all your cuts, and do them so they are matching pairs each cut differently (alternating ways on the saw) to take into account the very small fraction of degrees your table saw blade may be out of 90.

Alternate your clamps top and bottom, and if you're a bit short on clamps, put additional pieces of hardwood on each end to spread out the pressure more.

Also, for a longer glue up like this, I would recommend making some hardwood cauls. You're boards will likely be marginally out of plane with each other, so you need to make them mate up in plane or you're going to be losing a lot of thickness.

Long story short, watch lots of youtube, and spend more time on jointing and getting all your boards to join up perfectly.