[Piranha Mobile] Piranha Mobile World SIM card

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2020 11:23 am
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32628 posts
18420 upvotes
Ottawa
46jimbo wrote: U.S. rates are very good. On the AT&T network, a call is 10 cents/min., incoming calls are FREE, and data is only 3 cents/MB.

I make several foreign trips per year and I wanted a SIM that doesn't charge me when he I don't use it and stays alive for 1 year or more. Most of these travel Sims require you to recharge it or it dies. This is where Piranha is a winner.

Rates vary greatly per country but are great in the U.S. and Europe. I'm presently in Mexico where the call rates are nuts ($1.75/min.) so I won't use it for phoning. But I turned on data briefly to get an Uber and it only cost me pennies. Messaging is also inexpensive. Just remember that you only use this when you are on the street and out of reach of WiFi. I can never understand why some people require so much data when they travel. Do they stay in hotels or drink in cafes which don't have WiFi?

By the way, now that I'm settled into my little hotel on the beach for a month, I've acquired a Telcel SIM. For around $11 a month, you get 1.5 gb of data plus unlimited sms and talk for Mexico, the U.S. and Canada.

Check out the sticky thread in the Cell Phones forum on the many solutions for travel Sims.
That's dirt cheap, as Amazon is selling it for $37.95.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2032 posts
1733 upvotes
Akizuki wrote: Whats a good & free VoIP to use with Know Roaming?
There is no good answer to your question. There is no single VOIP app that offers free calls to local numbers anywhere in the world.
In recent times, many taxi companies and hotels started listing alternative (app-based and data-based) means to reach them (VIBER app is popular in Europe, LINE app is popular in SE Asia, WhatsApp pretty much everywhere), but if the taxi or the hotel can only be contacted by calling real phone numbers, then you are out of luck. An alternative (not free) is to call using Google Voice or Hangouts over data, but it will be considered an international phone call and you will be charged per minute (plus the signal will have to cross the ocean twice, once going to Google's servers in the USA, and once coming back to your locale as a telephone call).
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3310 posts
768 upvotes
Google hangout/voice only for free US/Canada calls. but for cheap world wide VOIP you can always use Skype... load a few bucks on it .. pennies a minute. Only issue is you'll have to pay more to get a call back number if you want someone to be able to call you.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19645 posts
12722 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
coilz wrote: Google hangout/voice only for free US/Canada calls. but for cheap world wide VOIP you can always use Skype.
GV/Hangouts also offers cheap rates: https://www.google.com/voice/rates
Only issue is you'll have to pay more to get a call back number if you want someone to be able to call you.
Better still people can call you back on your GV/H number. Yes, it's a US number but most people pay 0¢ to 2¢ per minute for that.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3310 posts
768 upvotes
bylo wrote: GV/Hangouts also offers cheap rates: https://www.google.com/voice/rates

Better still people can call you back on your GV/H number. Yes, it's a US number but most people pay 0¢ to 2¢ per minute for that.
That'll work too, personally never tried calling non north american numbers on GV/hangout. Have had $10 skype credit last me years already.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19645 posts
12722 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
coilz wrote: That'll work too, personally never tried calling non north american numbers on GV/hangout. Have had $10 skype credit last me years already.
Oh yeah, one more thing. Unlike Skype, where you have to spend a few cents every few months to keep your balance alive, GV balances don't expire regardless of [in]activity.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 6, 2016
468 posts
303 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Not free but try rynga or localphone apps
Nov 19, 2014
113 posts
55 upvotes
Montreal, QC
There are also betamax companies like Nonoh or Freevoipdeal etc. You add around 10 euros to your account and you can call some countries for free for 3 or 4 months then start using your credit after that period. Also they provide local numbers you can call to connect to the international number you want to dial. This way you will not have connection issues due to bad wifi speeds etc.

http://backsla.sh/betamax has some comparison.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7013 posts
2666 upvotes
Calgary
What's the best option for going to the US for just a week? I have the free TextNow app and a roam mobility sim that I can use.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3488 posts
1740 upvotes
Halifax
althetrainer wrote: What's the best option for going to the US for just a week? I have the free TextNow app and a roam mobility sim that I can use.
Well, then use that then, because you have it at hand! I am sure there is something better, but I do not know what your needs are.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
5970 posts
2684 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
hey_dude1643 wrote: 98% of the time, buying a local sim is the cheapest way to go.
Unless you are in Canada and they charge you arms and leg for a Sim for a week.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3488 posts
1740 upvotes
Halifax
I wondering if you can use Fongo or Public Mobile to forward calls to the Piranha Mobile UK number? If possible, it would save paying 66 cents a month for a phone number, but the added cost would be transfered to the add ons you purchase from Fongo or Public Mobile.

Public Mobile charges $15 for 400 min of international long distance, which works out to 3.75 cents a minute. Fongo I believe is 2 cents a minute, but with a 4 cent connection fee.

EDIT: Well, Fongo is a no go. Fongo can only forward to North American numbers.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7013 posts
2666 upvotes
Calgary
bridonca wrote: Well, then use that then, because you have it at hand! I am sure there is something better, but I do not know what your needs are.
I will be staying with friends and families but I want to have a mean to contact them in case I go out by myself, It won't be more than a couple of calls for the entire trip. TextNow works well as long as I get wifi but there will be times when I don't have access to any networks that's when I need the backup plan. I may just buy a local sim, probably the easiest way.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2032 posts
1733 upvotes
althetrainer wrote: I will be staying with friends and families but I want to have a mean to contact them in case I go out by myself, It won't be more than a couple of calls for the entire trip. TextNow works well as long as I get wifi but there will be times when I don't have access to any networks that's when I need the backup plan. I may just buy a local sim, probably the easiest way.
See the other current thread in RFD Hot Deals: USD $5 gets you a SIM card (shipped to an Amerifriend) and 1 month service (6GB data, unlimited calls/texts), with H2O Wireless, a MVNO on AT&T network:
h20-wireless-us-only-t-mvno-1-month-unl ... #p30550627
Just buy the SIM ahead of time and ship it to the address you will be staying. Their LTE only guarantees about 8Mbps (download) but that is acceptable.
Last edited by ahoroba on Feb 14th, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7013 posts
2666 upvotes
Calgary
ahoroba wrote: See the other current thread in RFD Hot Deals: USD $5 gets you a SIM card (shipped to an Amerifriend) and 1 month service (6GB data, unlimited calls/texts), with H2O Wireless, a MVNO on AT&T network:
h20-wireless-us-only-t-mvno-1-month-unl ... #p30550627
Just buy the SIM ahead of time and ship it to the address you will be staying.
Thank you. Need to find out how fast they ship. I arrive on Tuesday, not too much time left.

Edit: It will take 3 - 5 days but the major problem is that they won't accept Canadian credit cards.