• Jun 4th, 2020 5:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20682 posts
14511 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

Piranha Mobile World SIM card now 4G and lower rates even in Canada and US

There's a thread from February, 2019 about Piranha Mobile. It's now in the Expired Hot Deals section so it's not getting any visibility. [Piranha Mobile] Piranha Mobile World SIM card

Technically this was never a "deal" because it described Piranha's standard features and prices. Consequently it never really expired either. In fact it's improved over time.

Here's the OP from that thread with my comments about recent improvements to the offer.
bridonca wrote: For low use, low data, low call volume, purposes, this SIM card might be worth considering, here and other parts of the world. There is no monthly fee for this SIM card, and the expiry is 420 days after last use.

The Piranha Mobile SIM card will cost you under $5. Use the SIM card in Canada, the rates are about 8 cents a megabyte for data, about 20 cents a minute for incoming calls, and about 47 cents a minute for outgoing calls. There is a free UK number, but you can get also get a Canadian or US number for around 66 cents a month. As usual, rates are cheaper when in other countries

In Canada, Piranha Mobile uses the Bell and Telus network.

There are still carriers in Canada that charge $10 for 100 MB, with ridiculous maintenance fees added to that! Piranha Mobile charges $8 per 100 MB, and bills by the kilobyte!
bylo wrote: Yabbut's that's still at 3G, right?

By contrast Google Fi charges US$10/GB plus ~US$0.65/day. That's a bit more but it's for 4G service (on T-Mobile.) And it's the same rate that they charge for roaming data just about anywhere on the planet.
Fast forward to June, 2020. I just used my Piranha SIM in Canada to keep the account and my balance alive. Some interesting changes on Piranha's site:

1. It seems that they now roam at 4G on most networks. Previously it was 3G only.(*)
2. Roaming rates are down substantially. Canada and US are 2¢/MB data ($20/GB), 10¢/min outgoing calls, 0¢/min incoming calls and 4¢ per text.
3. In Canada roaming is on all 4 major telcos. In the US it's on AT&T and T-Mobile.
4. In EU data is generally also 2¢/MB and less than NA for calls and texts.
5. In Asia data is sometimes higher, 4¢ to 6¢/MB (but I only checked a few countries like AU, NZ, HK, CN.)

I tried data in Canada. The SIM quickly connected to Bhell at 4G.

At these new rates and with 4G data, this SIM is now really worth considering for international travel as well as for light use in Canada and US. Of course with COVID-19 travel restrictions I won't be able to check out how well the SIM now works outside of Canada.

(*)
veni, vidi, Visa
5 replies
Nov 27, 2006
21 posts
36 upvotes
Vancouver
Agree the Canadian rates have improved with lower outgoing rate and free incoming calls but one cannot port in Canadian number else it would be a killer deal than speakout for normal use

Thanks for the update
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20682 posts
14511 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
honmunho wrote: Agree the Canadian rates have improved with lower outgoing rate and free incoming calls but one cannot port in Canadian number else it would be a killer deal than speakout for normal use
In that sense it's no different than Google Voice where you're stuck with a US phone number. (At least a US phone number looks and works the same as ours vs. 01144...)

While you can't port in a Canadian number, you can get a new Canadian number for $6/year, "You can select one of the choices of 3 numbers UK, USA or Canadian and you make your selection when activating your SIM card. UK numbers are FREE and USA, Canadian numbers carry a $0.50 cents per Month service charge. "

My usage of Piranha is data-only so I never explored that option. One question if I have a CA number, does the rate chart still hold? For instance if I call another CA number from CA, am I still paying the CA roaming rates, i.e. 10¢ outgoing call, 4¢ SMS, or is the pricing different? Also, like most VoIP offerings, they don't fully support incoming texts, e.g. short codes.
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 27, 2006
21 posts
36 upvotes
Vancouver
I try to travel to Asia & Europe annually. For most usage, it has been mainly for data only.
The attractiveness of the new rates are the zero cost incoming calls in these countries with this roaming SIM.

I am not sure if there would be addition roaming or price diff charges.
Mar 11, 2011
795 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: My usage of Piranha is data-only so I never explored that option. One question if I have a CA number, does the rate chart still hold? For instance if I call another CA number from CA, am I still paying the CA roaming rates, i.e. 10¢ outgoing call, 4¢ SMS, or is the pricing different? Also, like most VoIP offerings, they don't fully support incoming texts, e.g. short codes.
I pay for a Canadian number and yes, the rates are the same. The UK number is problematic as it is really a Jersey number and anyone phoning you will be hit with a very high per min. cost.

I last used the Piranha sim in Spain and Italy (data only) and it worked just fine. I'm also considering using it to replace my Speakout sim. 30 cents/min is robbery and so is their data. My setup would be a dual sim phone with Piranha for voice and Fido tablet for data.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20682 posts
14511 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
46jimbo wrote: I pay for a Canadian number and yes, the rates are the same. The UK number is problematic as it is really a Jersey number and anyone phoning you will be hit with a very high per min. cost.
Thanks. Good to know. I'm generally OK with data only and Google Voice for calls/texts.
I last used the Piranha sim in Spain and Italy (data only) and it worked just fine.
Austria and Italy for me. 3G was slow but usable, at least until I could get a local SIM. Of course that's now all moot for the duration (of C-19 travel restrictions.)

I've since made Google Fi my second SIM (after Fido data) with Piranha and giffgaff as backups. I'll probably pare that down by a SIM as balances deplete.
I'm also considering using it to replace my Speakout sim. 30 cents/min is robbery and so is their data. My setup would be a dual sim phone with Piranha for voice and Fido tablet for data.
Yup. That looks quite reasonable. I'm sure your callers will appreciate your spending $6/year for a CA number over getting hosed by Old Joisey.
veni, vidi, Visa