Pirates may have cracked the code to 4K UHD torrents

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2017 9:58 am
[OP]
Feb 23, 2008
831 posts
75 upvotes

Pirates may have cracked the code to 4K UHD torrents

I'll take this news with a bit of a grain of salt at this point until something more substantial comes out but I've seen rumours of this for a while... this popped up in Google News so maybe some legitimacy to this claim?
https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017/05/ ... w_4MzxsVqv
84 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2991 posts
777 upvotes
Toronto
Wow 53gigs just for a 1-2h movie.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11758 posts
1472 upvotes
Toronto
I'm perfectly happy with my 720p rips.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11758 posts
1472 upvotes
Toronto
With high quality x265 settings, you should be able to encode a good 4K rip no bigger than 20GB.

50GB is a lazy encode.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
Is it even an encode? I thought the release in question was literally a direct rip.
Dec 12, 2016
135 posts
115 upvotes
Greater Canada
Wow this is great news. Hopefully it leads to the collapse of Toronto housing market bubble.
Advocate For The Removal Of Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) From Canada's Water Supply
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14284 posts
5490 upvotes
Ottawa
I've always wondered how there were 4K torrents of UHD BD movies already, somebody has already been encoding 4K content from UHD BluRay sources. Are those done by capturing from HDMI?
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9782 posts
1859 upvotes
Victoria
board123 wrote: I'm perfectly happy with my 720p rips.
I'm still happy with 1080p. I haven't embraced UHD in the same way I embraced HD when it came out. Maybe I'm getting old.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2158 posts
1045 upvotes
Saint John
zod wrote: I'm still happy with 1080p. I haven't embraced UHD in the same way I embraced HD when it came out. Maybe I'm getting old.
I think that in 3-5 years the 4K UHD situation will have standardized well enough to bother with it. Right now, it's just a mess of confusing standards, non-compliant devices, DRM, etc. I'm also hoping OLED TVs will have fully matured by that time.

I'm sure the pirates will have figured out how to crack everything by the time I'm ready to make the jump to 4K... until then 1080p on my Panasonic plasma still looks great to my old eyes.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11758 posts
1472 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote: I'm still happy with 1080p. I haven't embraced UHD in the same way I embraced HD when it came out. Maybe I'm getting old.
It's not just you. There's only so much detail the human eye can resolve from a certain distance. Given the distance most people sit away from their TVs, there are diminishing returns when moving from 1080p to 4K for moving content (e.g. movies). You'd have to move your seat much closer to the screen to make out the additional details offered by 4K.

On my 46" 1080p TV, I can barely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p content from where I'm sitting.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9772 posts
2277 upvotes
Winnipeg
warpdrive wrote: I've always wondered how there were 4K torrents of UHD BD movies already, somebody has already been encoding 4K content from UHD BluRay sources. Are those done by capturing from HDMI?
for 4k Its always been video captured thru hdmi either disc or stream. Still is except for a 4k smurf 2 video,,,maybe. It hasn't been confirmed some have doubts... "the Maximum Content Light Level and Maximum Frame-Average Light Level listed in the media info appear to be different, and the colors in the screenshots are off too. This means that it’s warranted to remain reserved when it comes to definitive “cracked” claims at this time."

The reality is No one can sit thru the whole smurf 2 video. Its like a pandaora's box? thats why the smurf 2 video was chosen.....the horror....LOL

Could be a bait and hook. Wouldn't a true release be done thru a NG first?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14284 posts
5490 upvotes
Ottawa
+1 on 4K not being a "must-have" yet.

For movie content, I'm happy with 1080p on my ZT60 and sitting 9 feet away from 60" screen or my LCD projector 92" at 11 feet.

I want to jump to OLED because of the overall picture quality (and to get rid of the heater than is my plasma) but it won't be because it's 4K
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9782 posts
1859 upvotes
Victoria
board123 wrote: It's not just you. There's only so much detail the human eye can resolve from a certain distance. Given the distance most people sit away from their TVs, there are diminishing returns when moving from 1080p to 4K for moving content (e.g. movies). You'd have to move your seat much closer to the screen to make out the additional details offered by 4K.

On my 46" 1080p TV, I can barely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p content from where I'm sitting.
Yah, that's how I understand it. I have a 60" TV but we sit about 12 to 13 feet away from it, so at that viewing distance a 4k tv isn't necessary. I'd need an 80" or 100" TV to make it worthwhile and I don't think I want a TV that big in my living room. From what I gather HDR seems to be a better upgrade than the actual 4k resolution, so maybe if my TV ever dies i'd buy a 4k for the HDR, but there's no way I rebuy my bluray collection on UHD. I think standard bluray is my last optical format (barring some unseen super-invention I didn't account for).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
I'm happy with 720p
Not that I have a choice since I can't afford 1080p space wise.
I'd have to triple my storage capacity.
4K would be triple that.