• Dec 6th, 2019 1:18 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1102 posts
14 upvotes

Pixel 3XL or Pixel 4XL

Hi there

If I have no contract and using Pixel 2 XL. Would like to get a phone with better hardware with security patches, should I stay away from Pixel 4Xl due to the issue of the coating ?

Please kindly advise.
Trade with me 100% confidence and my feedback on RedFlagDeals, eBay and Revscene.net :

Feedback on RedFlagDeals.com

Feedback on EBay.com

REVScene Feedback Ratings
10 replies
Sep 25, 2015
477 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Go for the iPhone SE 2 which is going to be released in March. Google phones are sub par.
Nov 11, 2006
200 posts
110 upvotes
East Kootenays
gomcse2002 wrote: Hi there

If I have no contract and using Pixel 2 XL. Would like to get a phone with better hardware with security patches, should I stay away from Pixel 4Xl due to the issue of the coating ?

Please kindly advise.
In my opinion this is one persons experience that got blown out of proportion. Do a search and you'll see the story faded as fast as it appeared.

In saying the above... My wife has a 2 XL and was contemplating getting myself a 4 but Google's efforts this go around failed to impress on way too many fronts. Think they are decent devices yet overpriced so definitely wouldn't pay top-dollar for one if you were to consider. Believe the 3 XL is good too yet now older, right price though could make it worthwhile plus it's the last to offer full-res photo uploads .
Nov 11, 2006
200 posts
110 upvotes
East Kootenays
RedStrikeCa wrote: Go for the iPhone SE 2 which is going to be released in March. Google phones are sub par.
Put on my glasses and still can't see where OP asked about an iPhone?
Sep 25, 2015
477 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Elky64 wrote: Put on my glasses and still can't see where OP asked about an iPhone?
OP asked about Google phones and my immediate thought is that I can't think of why people still tolerate them. They're too buggy and only supported for 3 years. iPhone is the way to go in my opinion.
Nov 11, 2006
200 posts
110 upvotes
East Kootenays
RedStrikeCa wrote: OP asked about Google phones and my immediate thought is that I can't think of why people still tolerate them. They're too buggy and only supported for 3 years. iPhone is the way to go in my opinion.
Well someone considering another Pixel leads me to believe their experience/opinion doesn't quite mirror yours. Not saying Pixel's are the greatest out there yet OP chose for a reason over an iPhone. And yes agree Android in general does still suck for the most part on the update front yet again, if OP was so concerned about that aspect doubt they'd be considering the Pixel 4 XL. And even if Apple goes with a 4.7" screen on SE 2 similar to iPhone 8 (as rumors suggest), how would it compare to OP's obvious preferences for larger phones? Seemed like an odd recommendation.
Sep 25, 2015
477 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Elky64 wrote: Well someone considering another Pixel leads me to believe their experience/opinion doesn't quite mirror yours. Not saying Pixel's are the greatest out there yet OP chose for a reason over an iPhone. And yes agree Android in general does still suck for the most part on the update front yet again, if OP was so concerned about that aspect doubt they'd be considering the Pixel 4 XL. And even if Apple goes with a 4.7" screen on SE 2 similar to iPhone 8 (as rumors suggest), how would it compare to OP's obvious preferences for larger phones? Seemed like an odd recommendation.
These are all valid points. I'm probably just bitter with quality/value after owning Flagship Android phones.
Nov 11, 2006
200 posts
110 upvotes
East Kootenays
RedStrikeCa wrote: These are all valid points. I'm probably just bitter with quality/value after owning Flagship Android phones.
Oh I'm with you 110% on that front but deal with it because I prefer Droids. OK w/iPhone's too just not my preferred platform, tis my wife's and the reason here Pixel has sat in the drawer for most of its life LOL. On the other hand, Apple all the way when it comes to tablets as we now have six in our household.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1333 posts
946 upvotes
Pickering
Each generation of Pixel has had their issues with it, so it's up to you whether or not the peeling of the oleophobic coating is a deal breaker for you.

I have the Pixel 3 XL, and its a solid phone. But, in comparison to the Pixel 2 XL, you're not getting much of a difference, at all. Wireless charging and 2 camera array on the front is the primary differences. I love the phone, though, and I'd highly recommend it at its price point. The 4 XL was marred by many reviewers but it was also praised by a few, as well. I'd suggest going to any of the carrier stores and playing with a floor model to see if it's your bag if the online specs and reviews didn't sway your opinion in either direction.

I wasn't a fan of the aesthetics, and felt there were too many compromises for a 2019 phone to make the splash.
CTC employee

Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1891 posts
797 upvotes
Antarctica
RedStrikeCa wrote: OP asked about Google phones and my immediate thought is that I can't think of why people still tolerate them. They're too buggy and only supported for 3 years. iPhone is the way to go in my opinion.
Except not everyone is going to you know, like iOS. iPhones are top of the line phones but unfortunately android and iOS are still not very similar.

@OP: your pixel XL 2 is probably going to get android 11. And even if it doesnt, it has android 10 so it is good till pixel 5 comes out. Hardware wise it's not worth throwing money on a new model of phone with minor improvements.

As for reviews they don't really decide what a person may prefer. Everyone finds it wierd I use a pixel 3 xl (and with it's huge notch and bottom bezel it does look hideous) but I stick with it because in my experience devices with zero to very few modifications to "googled" android still run great after a year of use.

You may also look at phones like one plus 7t / 7 pro as they are solid options.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33304 posts
7002 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Elky64 wrote: Oh I'm with you 110% on that front but deal with it because I prefer Droids. OK w/iPhone's too just not my preferred platform, tis my wife's and the reason here Pixel has sat in the drawer for most of its life LOL. On the other hand, Apple all the way when it comes to tablets as we now have six in our household.
I'm with you. I have a Pixel 3XL but I also carry around an iPad Pro for work.

My take, iOS is solid and apps run better on iOS. But I like having access to the file system on Android.

The coating on the Pixel 4 is a non issue. Most people stick on a screen protector (I do) as soon as the phone comes out of the box. That being said. I am going to skip this upgrade because I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade to a Pixel 4 XL. If I can sell my Pixel 3XL for a decent price, I may consider it.